Where is this term coming from?

• I
  • Thread starter bigmike94
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Term
In summary, the conversation discusses how the extra x in the second term of a formula may have come from the x hat, j hat, and z hat parts of the product rule. The conversation concludes that because the formula is in the x direction only, the y hat and z hat parts can be ignored and the extra x can be explained through the product rule.
bigmike94
TL;DR Summary
I am back again to ask for your mathematical help.
I got the same result apart from that extra x in the second term? I have boiled it down to that it must have come from maybe the x hat j hat and z hat part of the product rule? Any help would be grateful thank you!
A46D6638-E602-4C43-BA7C-4DD92E3E44AE.jpeg

Physics news on Phys.org
It comes from numerator of the formula above, x i-hat.

Likes bigmike94
@bigmike94 can you write down what ##A_x## is?

anuttarasammyak said:
It comes from numerator of the formula above, x i-hat.
Yeah I had a guess what assumed that was it but why is it included and not y or z aswell? Maybe I am missing an i hat which will get rid of the j and z hat cos of the dot product?

PeroK said:
@bigmike94 can you write down what ##A_x## is?
I’m not sure how to type maths in here but I think you have just helped me crack it, because it’s in the x direction only we ignore y hat and z hat, then In the product rule you’re left with the extra x.

I’m not sure if that makes sense to you? But yeah I think I get it now thank you

bigmike94 said:
I’m not sure how to type maths in here but I think you have just helped me crack it, because it’s in the x direction only we ignore y hat and z hat, then In the product rule you’re left with the extra x.

I’m not sure if that makes sense to you? But yeah I think I get it now thank you
By definition $$\vec A = A_x \hat i + A_y \hat j + A_z \hat k$$This can also be expressed as:$$A_x = \vec A \cdot \hat i$$

You need to learn some LaTex:

https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/

Likes bigmike94

1. Where did the term "DNA" come from?

The term "DNA" stands for deoxyribonucleic acid and was coined by Swiss biochemist Friedrich Miescher in 1869. He discovered the substance while studying the nuclei of white blood cells and named it "nuclein" at first. It wasn't until 1944 that the name was changed to "deoxyribonucleic acid" by Oswald Avery, Colin MacLeod, and Maclyn McCarty, who proved that DNA is the hereditary material in living organisms.

2. What is the origin of the term "hypothesis"?

The word "hypothesis" comes from the Greek word "hypotithenai" which means "to put under" or "to suppose." It was first used in the scientific context by philosopher and scientist Francis Bacon in the 17th century. He defined hypothesis as a tentative explanation of a phenomenon that can be tested through experimentation.

3. How did the term "evolution" originate?

The term "evolution" comes from the Latin word "evolutio" which means "unrolling" or "opening." It was first used in the context of biology by French naturalist Jean-Baptiste Lamarck in the early 19th century. However, the concept of evolution had been discussed by philosophers and scientists long before the term was coined.

4. What is the history of the term "atom"?

The word "atom" comes from the Greek word "atomos" which means "indivisible." It was first used by ancient Greek philosophers such as Democritus and Leucippus to describe the smallest unit of matter that cannot be divided. The modern concept of the atom was developed in the 19th century by scientists such as John Dalton, who proposed that atoms have different properties based on their mass and chemical composition.

5. Where does the term "hypothesis testing" come from?

The term "hypothesis testing" was first used by British statistician and geneticist Ronald Fisher in the early 20th century. He developed the concept as a way to evaluate the significance of experimental results and determine if they support or reject a specific hypothesis. The term has since become a fundamental tool in the scientific method and is used in various fields of research.