Where on Earth (75% of the time in the dark)

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the latitude needed to spend 75% of the time in the dark as the Earth spins. It involves using trigonometry to find the chord and arc of a segment that will result in 75% darkness and 25% light. The equations provided by the participants are complex and involve trial and error.
rede96
...would I have to be so I spend 75% of the time in the dark as the Earth spins?

Imagine the sun shines on the Earth in such a way that it casts a shadow that is at 60 degrees to the axis of the spin of the Earth (Assume the Earth's axis is 0 degrees) as shown in my diagram below.

I am trying to work out what 'latitude' (shown as P) I have to be at so I spend 75% of my time in the dark and 25% of my time in sun light as the Earth spins about its axis. I am not looking for the actual latitude, but how to calculate d2 (diameter) and h2 (height) from below.

Can anyone help? I've been at this for ages!

Fig_A.jpg

Mathematics news on Phys.org
How much trigonometry have you studied?
(Knowing this will help us give you a better answer)

Nugatory said:
How much trigonometry have you studied?

I know the basics, SOH, CAH, TOA. So can work most simple trig problems out.

If I look in the downward on the 'Earth' at the circle drawn out by the chord d2, then I know that 25% of the circumference of that circle needs to be in the light and 75% in the dark, which is 270 degrees and 90 degrees respectively. So I can make a segment that splits the circumference of a circle at 0 and 90 degrees, and thus work out the chord of that segment, and the arc which the shadow casts on the earth. But to do all that I would need to know d2 and I just can't figure out how to calculate that :(

Last edited:
A lot of trial and error but I managed to solve this. Below are the un-simplified equations. If anyone could help simplify them that would be great :)

From the diagram above:

h2 = sin((cos(((1-(cos(θ/2)^2))*360)/2)+1)/2*θ)*(d/2)

d2 = cos((cos(((1-(cos(θ/2)^2))*360)/2)+1)/2*θ)*d/2)*2

Where θ is the angle of the shadow (60° in the example I gave) and d is the diameter of the Earth (I called it d1 in the above diagram)

Related to Where on Earth (75% of the time in the dark)

1. Where on Earth is it dark 75% of the time?

The areas on Earth that experience darkness for 75% of the time are the polar regions, specifically the Arctic and Antarctic circles. This is due to the tilt of the Earth's axis, which causes these regions to be tilted away from the sun for most of the year.

2. Why do the polar regions experience more darkness?

The polar regions experience more darkness because they are located at the far ends of the Earth's axis, causing them to be tilted away from the sun for longer periods of time. This tilt also results in longer periods of daylight during the summer months.

3. How does the Earth's tilt affect the amount of darkness on Earth?

The Earth's tilt affects the amount of darkness on Earth by causing the polar regions to experience longer periods of darkness during certain times of the year. This tilt also results in changing seasons and varying amounts of daylight around the world.

4. Is there anywhere on Earth that experiences darkness all the time?

No, there is not anywhere on Earth that experiences darkness all the time. Even at the poles, there are periods of daylight during certain times of the year. The only places on Earth that may experience prolonged darkness are deep within caves or at the bottom of the ocean.

5. How does the amount of darkness on Earth affect plant and animal life?

The amount of darkness on Earth can greatly affect plant and animal life. In areas where there is prolonged darkness, plants may have difficulty photosynthesizing and animals may struggle to find food. However, some plant and animal species have adapted to these conditions and thrive in areas with less sunlight.