Investigating a faulty earthing in our house

• Thread starter Wrichik Basu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Earthing
In summary, there is a serious earthing problem in our house. The potential difference (PD) between neutral and earth is ## 50 - 60 ~\mathrm{VAC},## which should normally be ##< 2~\mathrm{VAC}## if earth is properly connected. I determined this with my multimeter after some appliances were giving electric shocks.
Wrichik Basu said:
In our house, the potential difference (PD) between neutral and earth is 50−60 VAC, which should normally be <2 VAC if earth is properly connected.
Going back to your original post, I'd like to point out that "should normally be <2 VAC" is not necessarily true. I did a search of this thread and the keywords 'ghost' and 'phantom' are missing, so I'm guessing no one has mentioned this yet. Rather than blather an explanation, I'll simply quote a source I found;

"Due to the high impedance of measuring instruments, a voltage reading may be detected on open conductors where there is no hard electrical connection to a voltage source. Conductors that are installed in close proximity to one another, and are capacitively coupled to each other, can cause this a.c. voltage reading. Such a reading could be 2 or 3 volts, or it may be as high as the voltage on the adjacent conductors. This is what is referred to as a “phantom” voltage." (ref)
bolding mine​

In other words, your 50-60 VAC is perfectly normal, as long as it's a phantom or ghost voltage.
This is of course what some have been prompting you to check for, without actually calling it by it's names.

This is not to say nothing is wrong. I'm pretty sure the ground wires in your house are not actually grounded. Or at least the one you tested with the incandescent lamp isn't.

• Informative
Likes Wrichik Basu, hutchphd and dlgoff
Engineering news on Phys.org
OmCheeto said:
This is of course what some have been prompting you to check for, without actually calling it by it's names.
Yes.
That is why we use a filament lamp as a load when measuring a voltage. A filament lamp will not be damaged if you connect it across the full supply. Using a lamp when troubleshooting often eliminates the need to measure voltage. An LED lamp is NOT a substitute for a metal filament.

• Informative
Likes Wrichik Basu and hutchphd
OmCheeto said:
I did a search of this thread and the keywords 'ghost' and 'phantom' are missing, so I'm guessing no one has mentioned this yet.
See post #42.
Edit:.
Missed that part when I first read your post. My apologies.

Let's leave the water pipe out of this. We know there is little to no voltage between the neutral and earth close to the source. Voltage develops for some reason in the house. Only cause can be an open or partially open conductor. If the house had absolutely no plumbing the same problem could develope and it would still have to be troubleshot. The solution would not be to install plumbing and then take measurements.

Likes Wrichik Basu
OmCheeto said:
Going back to your original post, I'd like to point out that "should normally be <2 VAC" is not necessarily true. I did a search of this thread and the keywords 'ghost' and 'phantom' are missing, so I'm guessing no one has mentioned this yet. Rather than blather an explanation, I'll simply quote a source I found;

"Due to the high impedance of measuring instruments, a voltage reading may be detected on open conductors where there is no hard electrical connection to a voltage source. Conductors that are installed in close proximity to one another, and are capacitively coupled to each other, can cause this a.c. voltage reading. Such a reading could be 2 or 3 volts, or it may be as high as the voltage on the adjacent conductors. This is what is referred to as a “phantom” voltage." (ref)
bolding mine​

In other words, your 50-60 VAC is perfectly normal, as long as it's a phantom or ghost voltage.
If I consider, for the sake of the argument, that the potential appearing on the PE is a phantom voltage, I guess that establishes that the PE is actually not grounded, because the phantom voltage can only occur in open circuits, as per your source.

Baluncore said:
Yes.
That is why we use a filament lamp as a load when measuring a voltage. A filament lamp will not be damaged if you connect it across the full supply. Using a lamp when troubleshooting often eliminates the need to measure voltage. An LED lamp is NOT a substitute for a metal filament.
OK, so I took readings across the 15 W filament lamp one more time, just to confirm the readings. Note that the bulb glows normally when connected between live and neutral.

Connected the lamp across neutral and PE.

PD immediately before connecting: ##29.58~\mathrm{V}.##
PD when connected:##0.108~\mathrm{V}.## (The lamp didn't glow.)
PD immediately after disconnecting: ##29.56~\mathrm{V}.##

Wrichik Basu said:
If I consider, for the sake of the argument, that the potential appearing on the PE is a phantom voltage, I guess that establishes that the PE is actually not grounded, because the phantom voltage can only occur in open circuits, as per your source.
If the PE was open circuit, then the PE-N voltage would have fallen significantly when the filament lamp was connected across the meter.
So I think it is neutral current through resistance that is causing part of the problem.

If you could run a wire back to the missing PE-N junction, you could measure the voltage at your house, (with filament globe in parallel) and so determine if it was N or PE that was resistive.

Instead, you might connect an electric water heater to the power outlet and see how much drop you get in the mains voltage. That will allow you to compute the resistance of the A-N circuit return.

Wrichik Basu said:
PD when connected: 0.108 V (The lamp didn't glow.)
The filament lamp exorcised the ghost voltage.
Your PE is open circuit. Get it fixed for your own protection.

Likes Averagesupernova, hutchphd, Rive and 2 others
OP’s house appears to have TT (Fr. terre-terre) earthing, specifically pipe earthing. There is no N-E link except at the company transformer.

It’s common for N to float a volt or two above E, if current is being drawn. This is the case at the service head, but at the OP’s house, the voltage has risen to dangerous levels.

This rogue N-E voltage sags when loaded with a bulb, but is enough to cause tingling shocks. This suggests a poor connection somewhere in the E wire from house to service head. There may also be some earth leakage from a number of faulty appliances.

Hopefully, the electrician will trace the bad connection, or simply run a new E wire to OP’s house.
Edit: Ideally, he should check earth leakage (Megger L+N to E, or clamp L+N while running) on suspect appliances too.

Last edited:
Likes hutchphd and Wrichik Basu
An electrician will be visiting today. Let's see how things turn out.

Likes berkeman and OmCheeto
Final update

The electricians confirmed our hypothesis that the PE line was not grounded. They opened up all the junction boxes, from our house to the main fuse board downstairs, and found that extremely low quality, thin and single core wire had been used for earthing. This same quality wire was used for earthing for both the low current outlets, as well as the high current ##(11~\mathrm{A})## outlet. A few pictures of the wire when they took it out:

Note that it was already snapped when they removed it. Also notice the condition of the insulation.

So, we went to our local trusted electric supply store and bought good quality ##1.5~\mathrm{mm}^2## wire, as recommended by the electricians. A comparison of the old and new wires can be seen below:

20221122_134857-2.png

The previous wire was completely replaced, from our house to the main fuse board, with the new wire. Thereafter, I checked the PD between neutral and PE with my multimeter; it was around ##0.3~\mathrm{V}## in all outlets.

The electricians also showed that the earthing wires inside our house are made of that same low-quality wire. We will be changing them in the coming days.

Once again, PF has helped me a lot in diagnosing the problem. Also learnt a lot in the process. Thanks to everyone who participated in helping me out, especially @Baluncore, @Averagesupernova, @Lnewqban, @Rive, @hutchphd, and @OmCheeto for your precious time and input. Also, a massive salute to the moderation team, without whom the site would not have been functioning as it is today.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Likes artis, OmCheeto, DaveE and 3 others
I've seen some terrible wirings already, but that's more or less the worst so far :nb)

Ps.: PE corroding away - happens. PE not present - there was such wiring standard here 'once upon a time'. Everything with Al wires, with slowly degrading connections - well, it was common once.
But this is ~ about intentionally providing false security which seems to work but melts away by the first trouble - evil :eek:

Last edited:
Likes Wrichik Basu
Rive said:
I've seen some terrible wirings already, but that's more or less the worst so far :nb)
But this is ~ about intentionally providing false security which seems to work but melts away by the first trouble - evil :eek:
(Abridged by me)
Yeah, it is kind-of evil, frankly. While changing the wires, we found that only our house had that kind of low quality wires for earthing. There are possible reasons for that, but I'll not make the thread off-topic, except stating that the builder had opted for a nasty and criminal way to save money.

Rive said:
I've seen some terrible wirings already, but that's more or less the worst so far
I was fixing up a house in Maine which had been built in the early 50's. I found some newer Aluminum wiring at an outlet box and discovered that some fool had twisted solid Al onto 12 gauge copper Romex, covered it with "friction tape" and left that connection unsheathed in the wall cavity. There was no corrosion at the junction (ergo the house was still standing!), but I looked at every wire in the house immediately thereafter. caveat emptor

• Wow
Likes DaveE, Wrichik Basu and berkeman