Where to Conduct Wind Tunnel Experiments in the Midwest United States

In summary, the speaker is a high school student in Wisconsin looking for a wind tunnel to conduct airfoil experiments. They have reached out to the University of Michigan, but scheduling is proving difficult. The speaker is willing to travel up to 12 hours to access a wind tunnel and is open to options in Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky, Illinois, Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, and possibly Canada. They are also considering going to Madison for their experiment.
waealu
I live in Wisconsin and I am looking for a wind tunnel where I can conduct a number of airfoil experiments. Since I am in high school, I am not yet affiliated with a university, so it is difficult for me to get in touch with lab technicians at universities. I have successfully contacted the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, but the scheduling looks like it will be difficult. If anyone has any advise or contact info that would help me gain access to a wind tunnel, that would be greatly appreciated.

I am really devoted to this line of research so I would be willing to drive up to 12 (or so) hours to get to a university. I would consider any wind tunnels within the following states: Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky, Illinois, Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota (and maybe even in Canada).

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you looked into going to Madison for your experiment?

for reaching out and expressing your interest in conducting wind tunnel experiments in the Midwest United States. I understand that as a high school student, it may be challenging to gain access to university facilities for your research. However, there are several options available to you in the Midwest region.

One option is to reach out to local community colleges or technical schools that may have wind tunnels available for use. These institutions often have more flexible scheduling and may be more open to working with high school students. You could also consider contacting companies or organizations that use wind tunnels for their own research, as they may be open to collaborating with you or allowing you to use their facilities.

Additionally, there are a few universities in the Midwest that have wind tunnels and may be more accessible for a high school student. These include the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Iowa State University, and the University of Minnesota. It may be worth reaching out to these institutions to inquire about their policies for high school students using their facilities.

Another option is to look into regional science fairs or competitions that may have resources available for students to conduct wind tunnel experiments. These events often have partnerships with universities or organizations that provide access to equipment for students.

Lastly, if you are willing to travel further, there are several prominent institutions in other states that have wind tunnels and may be open to working with high school students. These include Purdue University in Indiana, the University of Notre Dame in Indiana, and the University of Cincinnati in Ohio.

I hope these suggestions are helpful in your search for a wind tunnel in the Midwest. Good luck with your research!

Related to Where to Conduct Wind Tunnel Experiments in the Midwest United States

1. Where is the best location to conduct wind tunnel experiments in the Midwest United States?

The best location for conducting wind tunnel experiments in the Midwest United States would be at a university or research facility with a dedicated wind tunnel facility. Some examples of these facilities in the Midwest include the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign's Low-Speed Wind Tunnel and the University of Minnesota's Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics Wind Tunnel.

2. What factors should be considered when choosing a location for wind tunnel experiments in the Midwest United States?

Some factors to consider when choosing a location for wind tunnel experiments in the Midwest United States include the availability of a suitable facility, the proximity to other research institutions or industry partners, and the local climate and weather patterns.

3. Are there any specific regulations or permits required for conducting wind tunnel experiments in the Midwest United States?

It is important to check with local authorities and the facility's management to determine if there are any specific regulations or permits required for conducting wind tunnel experiments in the Midwest. This may include permits for noise or air pollution, as well as safety regulations for operating the wind tunnel.

4. Can wind tunnel experiments be conducted outdoors in the Midwest United States?

In most cases, wind tunnel experiments in the Midwest United States are conducted indoors in a controlled facility. This allows for more accurate and consistent results without interference from external factors such as wind or temperature variations. However, some research facilities may have the capability to conduct outdoor wind tunnel experiments under certain conditions.

5. Are there any notable research institutions or companies in the Midwest United States that specialize in wind tunnel experiments?

Yes, there are several notable research institutions and companies in the Midwest United States that specialize in wind tunnel experiments. These include the National Center for Supercomputing Applications at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, the NASA Glenn Research Center in Cleveland, and the Ford Motor Company's Aerodynamics and Aeroacoustics Laboratory in Dearborn, Michigan.