What Graduate Programs Should I Apply to?

In summary: Your undergrad school's prestige and the caliber of your professors will be more important factors in getting accepted into a graduate program.
jilliwilli
Hi all,

I am looking for advice on what physics graduate programs to apply to. My original list was:

University of Maryland - College Park
Harvard University
Columbia University
Caltech
Pennsylvania State
University of Illinois - Urbana-Champaign
Colorado University - Boulder
UC-Barbara
niversity of Texas - Austin
University of Wisconsin - Madison
Ohio State University
University of Minnesota - Twin Cities
Note: I aware this is a large number of schools, but am really serious about getting in somewhere.

My PGRE score has just arrived: 730 :( . Much lower than expected. I need to revise the above list but wonder what are some decent safety schools and "reach" schools given a 730 PGRE. I would like to apply to roughly 4 reach, 5 safety, 3 backup.
Some other details: my GPA is 3.8/4.0, and I have done research during 1 summer REU and 1 summer at my school. I want to go into Condensed Matter or AMO.
Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it wouldn't hurt to add some more lower-tier schools to that list, especially given that you have I would say below-average research experience. If you want to see where people of a similar caliber apply, maybe check out the Physicsgre.com applicant profiles (http://www.physicsgre.com/viewtopic.php?t=6128).

jilliwilli,
I agree that you should add some more lower-tier schools. The link that Dishsoap provided is a great resource. Also if you have the time, you may find this thread helpful: http://www.physicsgre.com/viewtopic.php?t=3669, which summarizes acceptances by PGRE score. This will you a rough idea of PRGE ranges for top-tier, mid-tier and low-tier programs. Cheers!

I think Rutgers would be a good school to add.

A lot will depend on the reputation of your undergrad school, letters of recommendation, publications, and physics coursework.

Faculty at your school, especially those writing your recommendation letters, are the best qualified to give you advice, because they understand the reputation of your school in this context, and they know a lot more about what is in those recommendation letters.

Undergrad research that leads to publications tends to be much more impressive than research that does not.

I went from LSU undergrad to MIT grad based on paper qualifications not much stronger than your original post (70th ish percentile on PGRE). But I was the "golden boy" of the Physics Dept - the best undergrad they'd seen in 5-10 years, and several faculty worked hard to pave the way for me - multiple publications, great rec letters, etc. I got full ride offers to MIT, Stanford, and Princeton. You need to find out what your faculty are willing to do for you.

They told me not to worry about the PGRE score, to shoot for the stars.

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a graduate program?

Some important factors to consider when choosing a graduate program include the program's reputation, quality of faculty, research opportunities, location, cost, and curriculum. It's also important to think about your career goals and how the program aligns with them.

2. How do I determine which graduate programs are the best fit for me?

One way to determine which graduate programs are the best fit for you is to research the programs thoroughly. Look at the courses offered, faculty profiles, and any research opportunities or internships available. You can also reach out to current or former students to get their perspective on the program.

3. Should I apply to multiple graduate programs?

Yes, it's a good idea to apply to multiple graduate programs to increase your chances of being accepted. However, make sure to only apply to programs that you are genuinely interested in and that align with your career goals.

4. Is it better to attend a highly ranked graduate program or one that is a good fit for me?

This ultimately depends on your career goals and priorities. A highly ranked program may provide more opportunities and prestige, but it may also be more competitive and less of a personal fit. It's important to weigh the pros and cons and choose a program that will best help you achieve your goals.

5. When should I start applying for graduate programs?

It's recommended to start researching and applying for graduate programs at least a year in advance. This will give you enough time to thoroughly research programs, prepare application materials, and meet any deadlines. It's also important to consider the specific application deadlines for each program you are interested in.