Where to Find Statistics on Physically Disabled Children?

In summary, a team of 3rd Year Mechanical Engineering Undergraduate students are working on a project to design an Electrically-driven Tricycle for Disabled Children. They are currently conducting research to make a proposal with valid data before the deadline in 4 days. They are looking for statistical data on physically-disabled children and adults, and have searched through various websites and databases but with no results. Suggestions were given to look into government websites, reach out to disability-focused organizations, and consider conducting their own survey or reaching out to local rehabilitation centers or hospitals for first-hand data.
ZanLii
Hello, PFers!

I'm a 3rd Year Mechanical Engineering Undergraduate, just started on a design project titled "Electrically-driven Tricycle for Disabled Children". My team of 3 are currently doing research to make a proposal with valid data before the deadline in the next 4 days.
It's pretty much a tricycle fitted with an electric DC motor and an electronic control unit to be used by children with at least a hand to operate. However, we might change the general specification depending on our findings about disabled children and commercialized disabled-friendly tricycles/bicycles.

I'm trying to find some statistical data on physically-disabled children/adults to have an idea of what kind of physical disability most people have. For example, how many people were born without 1 hand/1 leg/both hands/both legs/both hands & legs.
I've been going through the WHO's website, UNICEF's database, and ChildInfo.org for that information, without ANY results.

So I was hoping if anybody knows of some references that I could look into for the statistical data. It doens't matter if most reports/statistics are for adults with physical disabilities, but at least my team has some idea of that demographic group.

Help & discussion is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear PFers,

I highly commend you for taking on a project that aims to make a positive impact on the lives of disabled children. Your project idea sounds very interesting and I wish you and your team all the best in your research and proposal.

Regarding your search for statistical data on physically-disabled children and adults, I would suggest looking into government websites and databases such as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the National Institutes of Health (NIH). They may have information on the prevalence of different types of physical disabilities in the population.

You can also try reaching out to organizations that specifically focus on disabilities, such as the National Organization on Disability (NOD) and the American Association of People with Disabilities (AAPD). They may have reports or studies that can provide you with the information you need.

In addition, you may want to consider conducting your own survey or reaching out to local rehabilitation centers or hospitals to gather first-hand data on the types of physical disabilities among children in your area.

I hope these suggestions are helpful and I wish you success in your project. Keep up the great work!

1. Where can I find statistics on the overall prevalence of physical disabilities in children?

One reliable source for statistics on the prevalence of physical disabilities in children is the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) website. They provide data from the National Health Interview Survey (NHIS) and the National Survey of Children with Special Health Care Needs (NS-CSHCN).

2. Are there any specific statistics on the types of physical disabilities that children may have?

Yes, the CDC provides data on the most common types of physical disabilities in children, including cerebral palsy, muscular dystrophy, and spina bifida. These statistics can be found on their website under the "Disability Impacts All of Us" section.

3. Is there information on the age range of physically disabled children?

The CDC website provides data on the age range of children with physical disabilities. According to their research, the prevalence of physical disabilities is higher among children aged 6-17 years compared to those under 6 years old.

4. Can I find statistics on the racial and ethnic disparities among physically disabled children?

Yes, the National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) collects and reports on data regarding the racial and ethnic disparities among physically disabled children. This information can be found on their website under the "Disability and Health Data System (DHDS)" section.

5. Are there any resources for global statistics on physically disabled children?

The World Health Organization (WHO) provides global statistics on the prevalence of physical disabilities in children. Their website offers data from various countries and regions, as well as information on the leading causes of physical disabilities in children worldwide.