Where to Find the Best Records of Past Supernova Events

In summary: Other non-radioactive markers may exist, but it is not currently known where the best records would be found. Further investigation into ice cores from other celestial bodies, such as Europa, may provide more evidence. In summary, a recent talk discussed strong evidence for Earth being showered with debris from a nearby supernova ~60-300 light years away, about 2 to 3 million years ago. This evidence was found in deep ocean crust and moon cores, and could help determine the direction of the debris. However, there is still uncertainty about the time frames and the feasibility of detecting older events. Further research is needed to pinpoint dates and identify other reliable
Jarvis323
I attended an interesting talk the other day about supernova archeology, and the discovery of strong evidence that Earth was showered with debris from a nearby supernova ~60-300 light years, about 2 to 3 Mya. The evidence is the presence of 60Fe in deep ocean crust at multiple sites, as well as in cores from the moon. Samples from the moon can help to determine the direction.

Because of 60Fe decay, and other potential issues, I suppose it is not easy to detect events going much further back in time? The ability to better pinpoint the time of the event, or events, is also limited, and the time range of depositing was wider than expected. They have some hypothesis for why debris would travel here, or end up being deposited more gradually than expected. In the end, I believe there is a lot of uncertainty about the time frames.

I was wondering, what is the feasibility in general for detecting older events, and pinpointing the date more precisely? Are there other, reliable, non-radioactive markers? Where in the solar system should we go to look for the best records? For example, can we do better by looking at ice cores from Europa or something like that. There must be somewhere outside of Earth and the moon where records are better preserved?

Abstract, website, slides, and a video from past talks:

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2016ApJ...827...48F
http://publish.illinois.edu/bdfields/research/near-earth-supernovae/
http://vmsstreamer1.fnal.gov/Lectures/Colloquium/presentations/160127Fields.pdf

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Jarvis323 said:
I attended an interesting talk the other day about supernova archeology, and the discovery of strong evidence that Earth was showered with debris from a nearby supernova ~60-300 light years, about 2 to 3 Mya. The evidence is the presence of 60Fe in deep ocean crust at multiple sites, as well as in cores from the moon. Samples from the moon can help to determine the direction.
How so? Wouldn't we also have to know where the moon was relative to the Earth at the time the debris hit?

Because of 60Fe decay, and other potential issues, I suppose it is not easy to detect events going much further back in time? The ability to better pinpoint the time of the event, or events, is also limited, and the time range of depositing was wider than expected. They have some hypothesis for why debris would travel here, or end up being deposited more gradually than expected. In the end, I believe there is a lot of uncertainty about the time frames.
It is difficult to imagine Earth not having been formed from debris from a SuperNova.

I was wondering, what is the feasibility in general for detecting older events, and pinpointing the date more precisely? Are there other, reliable, non-radioactive markers? Where in the solar system should we go to look for the best records? For example, can we do better by looking at ice cores from Europa or something like that. There must be somewhere outside of Earth and the moon where records are better preserved?
I am not sure why Earth would not be as good a place as any in the solar system to look. We seem to have all the elements in the Earth crust.

AM

Likes davenn

1. Where can I find records of past supernova events?

The best place to find records of past supernova events is in scientific journals and databases. These sources contain detailed information and analysis from astronomers and scientists who have studied and documented these events.

2. Are there any online resources for finding records of past supernova events?

Yes, there are several online resources that provide access to records of past supernova events. Some examples include the NASA Astrophysics Data System, the International Supernovae Network, and the Open Supernova Catalog.

3. How accurate are the records of past supernova events?

The records of past supernova events are generally considered to be accurate, as they are based on observations and data collected by trained astronomers and scientists. However, there may be some discrepancies or uncertainties in the data, as with any scientific research.

4. Can I contribute to the records of past supernova events?

Yes, anyone can contribute to the records of past supernova events by reporting their own observations or data to scientific organizations or databases. This can help improve our understanding of these events and their characteristics.

5. Are there any specific telescopes or instruments used to record past supernova events?

There are several telescopes and instruments that have been used to record past supernova events, including the Hubble Space Telescope, the Chandra X-ray Observatory, and the Very Large Telescope. These instruments are specifically designed to capture detailed images and data of astronomical events like supernovae.