Where to Find Uranium Glass Beads/Wands & Safety Protocols

In summary, there are multiple potential sources for purchasing uranyl nitrate, including chemical supply companies and online marketplaces. It is important to follow proper safety protocols when working with these materials to ensure the health and safety of yourself and others.
pimpypot
TL;DR Summary
source and safety of uranyl nitrate, UO2(NO3)2 for green UV art glass
I cannot find a source of uranium glass beads/wands for art making. It is mentioned online that one can make UV glass with a derivative of uranyl nitrate, UO2(NO3)2 . Does anyone know a source of uranyl nitrate, or raw glass material, and what are the minimum safety protocols, such as quantity, dust control, and respiration mask. Do the safety protocols change when working with raw glass, such as with off gassing or glass dust? It is my understanding either scenario is safe and legal as long as the working quantity and particulates are kept to a minimum.

Physics news on Phys.org
First eBay search international for “URANIUM Czech Vaseline glass”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uranium_glass
Do you want to make a significant amount of glassware or do you want a few uranium glass beads for decoration?

Small beads will probably need a higher U% than thicker glassware, but you might buy the glassware new and cheap on eBay, then melt it down to cast your own beads.

You can probably buy yellow cake = uranium oxide in Australia. You will probably need to register with your state as a member of the decorative glass industry before you can get a license to buy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellowcake

Depleted Uranium, DU, is used as ballast weights and may be available in the US or Europe where there is an atomic energy industry. That may be the source of the uranium in the Czech beads.

Safety issues will depend on the processes you will carry out.
You have not clearly specified the required end result.

Hi there,

I have not personally worked with uranyl nitrate or raw glass material, but I did some research and found a few potential sources for you to try.

One option is to purchase uranyl nitrate from a chemical supply company, such as Sigma-Aldrich or Fisher Scientific. These companies typically require customers to have a business or academic account, so you may need to reach out to them to see if they can sell to individuals.

Another option is to try searching for uranyl nitrate on websites like eBay or Amazon. However, be sure to carefully research the seller and their product before making a purchase, as these platforms may not have strict regulations for selling potentially hazardous chemicals.

As for safety protocols, it is always important to follow proper safety measures when working with any chemicals or potentially hazardous materials. This includes wearing protective gear, such as a respirator mask and gloves, and working in a well-ventilated area. I would also recommend doing some research on the specific safety precautions for handling and storing uranyl nitrate, as well as any potential risks associated with working with raw glass material. It's always better to err on the side of caution and take all necessary precautions to protect yourself and others.

I hope this helps and good luck with your art making!

1. Where can I find uranium glass beads and wands?

Uranium glass beads and wands can be found in various online stores and specialty shops that sell jewelry making supplies. They can also be found at antique stores or flea markets. It is important to make sure that the seller is reputable and the products are properly labeled.

2. Are there any safety protocols I should follow when handling uranium glass beads and wands?

Yes, it is important to handle uranium glass beads and wands with caution due to their radioactive nature. It is recommended to wear gloves and a mask when handling them and to wash your hands thoroughly after use. It is also important to keep them out of reach of children and pets.

3. How can I tell if a bead or wand is made of uranium glass?

Uranium glass beads and wands have a characteristic green or yellow glow under a black light. They may also have a slightly radioactive reading on a Geiger counter. However, it is always best to purchase from a reputable seller who can provide proper labeling and documentation.

4. Can I use uranium glass beads and wands in my jewelry making projects?

Yes, uranium glass beads and wands can be used in jewelry making projects. However, it is important to take proper safety precautions and to inform potential buyers of the radioactive nature of the materials. It is also recommended to limit the amount of time spent handling the beads and to store them in a safe and secure location.

5. Are there any health risks associated with using uranium glass beads and wands?

While uranium glass beads and wands do contain small amounts of radioactive material, the risk of harm is minimal as long as proper safety protocols are followed. The amount of radiation emitted by these materials is typically very low and does not pose a significant health risk. However, it is always important to handle them with care and to limit exposure as much as possible.

Back