Where would I begin if i wanted a job in the CSA or as an astronaut?

In summary, the conversation is about a person who dreams of working for the Canadian Space Agency and becoming an astronaut or working in the ISS. They are currently studying mechanical engineering and want advice on how to pursue a career in this field. The suggestion is made to contact the Canadian Space Agency and to read a book by Chris Hadfield for guidance.
kineticjustin
Hi everyone, I know this may seem a little impossible but I have always dreamed of working for someone like the Canadian Space Agency, becoming an astronaut, or even working in the ISS.

I'm currently studying mechanical engineering and am about to head into my 3rd year.

How would I go about obtaining a career in this field?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried contacting the Canadian Space Agency for advice? I'm sure they are interested in talking to students who have expressed an interest in working for their agency.

Chris Hadfield wrote a very good book about this ("Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth").

1. How do I become an astronaut?

If you want to become an astronaut, the first step is to obtain a degree in a STEM field such as engineering, mathematics, or science. You will also need to gain experience in a relevant field, such as piloting or conducting research. Additionally, you will need to meet the physical and medical requirements set by the CSA or NASA. The complete application process and requirements can be found on their official websites.

2. Are there any age restrictions for becoming an astronaut?

While there is no specific age requirement, most astronauts are between the ages of 26 and 46. This is because the training and missions can be physically demanding, and it is important for astronauts to be in good overall health. However, there have been exceptions to this age range in the past, so it is best to check the specific requirements for each agency.

3. What qualifications do I need to work for the CSA or NASA?

The qualifications for working for the CSA or NASA vary depending on the specific role or position. Generally, a degree in a STEM field is required, and relevant experience and skills are highly valued. It is also important to have a strong background in teamwork, communication, and problem-solving. Specific job postings will list the necessary qualifications for that particular role.

4. What kind of training do astronauts receive?

Astronauts undergo extensive training before being assigned to a mission. This includes physical training, technical training on equipment and systems, and simulations to prepare for the conditions in space. They also receive training on teamwork, communication, and emergency procedures. The training can take several years to complete.

5. How long does it take to become an astronaut?

The length of time it takes to become an astronaut varies for each individual. It depends on factors such as education, experience, and the availability of missions. Generally, it can take several years to meet all the requirements and complete the necessary training before being selected for a mission. It is a highly competitive field, so persistence and dedication are key.