Which B.S. from UC Davis to support NucE from UC Berkeley?

In summary, the B.S. from UC Davis would best prepare a student for a PhD in Nuclear Engineering from UC Berkeley. However, the cost of living in Sacramento would make it difficult to pursue the degree. If engineering is not a focus, a physics degree with emphasis in nuclear and condensed matter physics would be beneficial. It would be worth contacting the department and speaking to a faculty advisor.
SpaceCowboy187
Ok. I've determined that nuclear engineering research is for me. Want to study it at the B.S. level at Berkeley, but I live in Sacramento. Maybe the commute could be made. Daily. For 2 hours there and back. But... no. So I've decided that I can get a good degree from Davis to support my future pursuit of a PhD in nuclear engineering from Berkeley. Problem is, I don't know which one! I'm not quite sure if I should focus on an engineering discipline to have a background in design, or focus on physics to get a really strong foundation of particles and nuclear reactions. If I go an engineering route, which discipline? Aerospace for a good job while I pursue higher ed? Chemical because that's almost nuclear? Materials? Civil because reactors are buildings?

tldr;

Which B.S. from UC Davis would best prepare me for a PhD in Nuclear Engineering from UC Berkeley?
If Engineering Then
which discipline would you recommend?
Else
Physics?
End if
Things to consider:
Jobs after B.S. before/during PhD
end thread
Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is there anybody at UC Berkeley that you can ask? Somebody in their Nuclear Engineering department, like a counselor or adviser? Are any of the classes you want available through the UC Berkeley Extension?

SpaceCowboy187 said:
Ok. I've determined that nuclear engineering research is for me. ...

What do you envision this research as? There's a great variation in the subjects of "research" related to nuclear engineering. Materials to system performance to chemistry/behavior of fission products to ...

Why not move to the Bay Area for your undergraduate degree?

I would consider a focus on fusion and fission systems and energy applications, cutting edge technologies, possibly waste disposal, but mainly reaction performance, procedure, process, what have you.

Unfortunately, moving to the Bay Area is not possible, that's the big issue.

Engineering degrees in Mechanical, Chemical, Material Science, and Computer Science could set you up appropriately for PhD to pursue nuclear engineering research. Additionally degrees in either chemistry or physics could as well, but it is very dependent on the research and the department. A lot of what you're suggesting doesn't sound like current research topics at UC Berkeley.

SpaceCowboy187 said:
I'm not quite sure if I should focus on an engineering discipline to have a background in design, or focus on physics to get a really strong foundation of particles and nuclear reactions. If I go an engineering route, which discipline? Aerospace for a good job while I pursue higher ed? Chemical because that's almost nuclear? Materials? Civil because reactors are buildings?
Some elements of chemical engineering are similar to nuclear engineering in terms of processes like fluid mechanics and heat transfer, and perhaps corrosion, and possibly in some areas of manufacturing nuclear fuel or waste treatment/reprocessing, and even fuel performance. There are perhaps even more similarities with mechanical engineering in which one would study thermodynamics and thermomechanical cycles, heat transfer/transport, fluid mechanics, turbomachinery, . . . . Aerospace is basically mechanical engineering applied to aeronautical and aerospace systems.

Civil/structural engineering is perhaps remote from nuclear, and mostly removed from the reactor system. Reactors aren't buildings, but rather the containment building encloses the reactor, which is comprised of the core, the collection of fuel assemblies, and the reactor pressure vessel and internals, which enclose and support the core, and provide a flow path for the coolant circulating through the reactor cooling system.

Outside of engineering, a physics degree with emphasis on nuclear and condensed matter physics would be most useful, along with any materials science/engineering.

It would be worthwhile contacting the department and talk with a faculty advisor.

http://www.nuc.berkeley.edu/undergraduate/undergraduate-curriculum
http://www.nuc.berkeley.edu/Graduate/Areas
http://www.nuc.berkeley.edu/graduate/graduate-curriculum

http://www.nuc.berkeley.edu/people/faculty

1. What is the difference between the B.S. program at UC Davis and the NucE program at UC Berkeley?

The B.S. program at UC Davis is a general undergraduate degree in a specific field of study, while the NucE program at UC Berkeley is a specialized program focused on nuclear engineering. The B.S. program at UC Davis will provide a broad foundation in science and engineering, while the NucE program at UC Berkeley will offer in-depth knowledge and skills specifically related to nuclear engineering.

2. How can pursuing a B.S. from UC Davis support my studies in the NucE program at UC Berkeley?

Having a B.S. from UC Davis will provide a strong foundation in basic science and engineering principles, which will be beneficial for understanding and excelling in the more advanced coursework and research involved in the NucE program at UC Berkeley. Additionally, the interdisciplinary nature of the B.S. program at UC Davis can help students develop a well-rounded skillset that can be applied to their studies in the NucE program.

3. Are there any specific courses or requirements at UC Davis that would be particularly helpful for the NucE program at UC Berkeley?

Yes, there are certain courses at UC Davis that would be beneficial for students planning to pursue the NucE program at UC Berkeley. These may include courses in physics, chemistry, mathematics, and computer science. Additionally, courses in energy systems, thermodynamics, and nuclear science and technology can also provide a good foundation for the NucE program.

4. Is it possible to transfer from the B.S. program at UC Davis to the NucE program at UC Berkeley?

Yes, it is possible to transfer from the B.S. program at UC Davis to the NucE program at UC Berkeley. However, admission to the NucE program is highly competitive and will depend on various factors such as academic performance, relevant coursework, and letters of recommendation. It is recommended that interested students consult with advisors at both universities to plan their coursework and increase their chances of a successful transfer.

5. How can having a B.S. from UC Davis and a NucE degree from UC Berkeley benefit my career in the field of nuclear engineering?

Having both a B.S. from UC Davis and a NucE degree from UC Berkeley can provide a strong foundation and specialized knowledge in the field of nuclear engineering, making graduates highly sought after by employers. This combination of degrees can also open up opportunities for various roles in the nuclear industry, such as research and development, design, operations, and consulting. Additionally, graduates may also have the opportunity to pursue advanced degrees in related fields such as nuclear physics, materials science, or environmental engineering.