B.S. in physics, Masters in Aerospace Engineering?

In summary: I think this is a good answer as it gives you a good understanding of the practical implications of having a PE license and why it is so important.In summary, a high school senior aiming to study aerospace engineering should consider studying another engineering field. If you're interested in pursuing an aeronautical career, you should study engineering that is somehow related to aerospace. ABET accredited universities are important for career planning. Passing the Professional Enginee License exam is a good way to broaden your engineering career options.
Awesome_Ale
Hi, I'm a high school senior and I want to study Aerospace Engineering but my local university doesn't have it and going to another university is not an option, so what should my B.S. be? Physics? or an engineering that is somehow related to aerospace? Plus, does Masters in Aerospace Engineering have good jobs?
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
You should study another engineering field. Go for Mechanical or Electrical, maybe even software. Whatever interests you.

Physics will make it harder for you to go into engineering (though not impossible), but if you like pure science then study physics. Just want to let you know that a BS in engineering leads to more job opportunities if you want to take time off before pursuing an MS. Also, if you look at hiring from places like Boeing they really prefer engineers with PE licenses. If your ultimate goal is to work as an engineer go to an

ABET credited school: http://www.abet.org/why-accreditation-matters/ *Make sure your university is*

Aim to pass this exam: http://www.nspe.org/resources/licensure/what-pe ...this widens your career options.

Study hard, but have fun! Make sure that during your college you take the time to look for experience over the summer, such as internships. Most internships in STEM are paid. You'll get paid a decent amount. Some places even provide housing. Just giving you a heads up.

I agree with bluechip92. If you want to be an engineer, study engineering. For an aero career, either ME or EE will be good background. As stated, ABET accreditation is a key element also.

Some people consider aerospace engineering to be a subset of mechanical engineering, so that would be your best bet. From what I understand, a mechanical engineer can do a lot of jobs that an aerospace engineer can do, and more general mechanical engineering jobs.

Thanks to all of you
Bluechic92 what is a PE license? And also if you don't mind answering, what did you study?

Never mind I know now thanks

Awesome_Ale said:
Never mind I know now thanks

Sorry I didn't elaborate what a PE license is, I guess that's what you found out? The only reason I suggest that you aim for passing the Professional Enginee license exam is because I noticed some companies require it. It really depends on what you want to do with your engineering degree. You'll find that out once you start it.

I studied physics, but there was a point in my life where I was going to transfer out of my undergrad ( which has no engineering program) to a school that did for chemical engineering. That's the only reason I know any amount of stuff regarding engineering, but I do not know much. I too plan to apply for a Master's in engineering, but for EE. ABET crediting is only for undergrad and I think one needs a bachelors or equivalent work experience to sit for the exam for a PE license. That's why make sure the school you go to is ABET credited!

You are in high school. It's great that you are thinking so far ahead. I did that too when I started out undergrad, if only I continued to do that. Something I learned is to keep an open mind. Majoring in engineering will provide you with a variety of skills that you can use for all sorts of jobs . You will only know that if you seek out experiences (internships, research etc.) Good luck, I am sure you will do fine. Maybe after your first two years, you can check out places like Boeing and see if they take in people for summer internships.

Sorry if I sounded a bit harsh on the other thread you created. If you have winter break starting or celebrate any holidays , Happy _______! (for anyone reading this). .

In most US states, by law, a PE license is required for anyone to legally call themselves an engineer. This means in practical terms that to practice independently, as a consultant in any engineering area, you must have this state license. It has great significance in those areas that affect public safety directly (such a structural engineering), but less in areas more removed from direct public safety concerns. My engineers in industry work under what is called "the industrial exemption." The exemption usually says something like, provided that the company's chief engineer is registered, he can take responsibility for (cover for) all engineers working under him. This is common in manufacturing industries.

1. What is the difference between a B.S. in physics and a Masters in Aerospace Engineering?

A B.S. in physics is a undergraduate degree that provides a broad understanding of the fundamental principles of physics, while a Masters in Aerospace Engineering is a graduate degree that focuses specifically on the application of physics in the design and development of aerospace technology.

2. What career opportunities are available with a B.S. in physics and a Masters in Aerospace Engineering?

With a B.S. in physics, you can pursue a career in various industries such as research, education, or engineering. A Masters in Aerospace Engineering can lead to careers in aerospace companies, government agencies, or research institutions.

3. Is it necessary to have a B.S. in physics before pursuing a Masters in Aerospace Engineering?

While it is not a requirement, having a background in physics is highly recommended for a Masters in Aerospace Engineering program. It provides a strong foundation for understanding the advanced concepts and principles of aerospace engineering.

4. What skills are important for success in a B.S. in physics and a Masters in Aerospace Engineering?

Some of the key skills for success in these programs include a strong understanding of mathematics and physics, critical thinking and problem-solving abilities, strong analytical skills, and attention to detail. Additionally, communication and teamwork skills are important for working in the field of aerospace engineering.

5. Can a B.S. in physics and a Masters in Aerospace Engineering lead to a career in space exploration?

Yes, both degrees can lead to careers in space exploration. With a B.S. in physics, you can work in research and development of space technology, while a Masters in Aerospace Engineering can provide the specialized knowledge and skills needed for designing and building spacecraft and related technology.