Which bolt should be used for a beam support with different yield strengths?

• Thread starter engtobe
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed using two different diameters of a bolt for a beam support with a hinge pin. The diameters were calculated based on shear strength and a constant load, with the lower shear strength of the plate resulting in a larger diameter bolt. The question was raised about which bolt should be used in this scenario.
engtobe
I have calculated two diameters of a bolt to be used in a beam support using a plate at each side supported in a cradle with a hinge pin.

i used shear strength and a constant load to find the diameters the reason i have two different diameters is because the plate and bolt have different yeild strengths

the plate has the lower shear strength and resulted in a bigger diameter of bolt.

what bolt should be used?

thanks for any answers

Engineering news on Phys.org
You design a bolted joint per the yield strength of the bolt, not the material it's bolting (unless the geometry has stress-limiting factors).

nice one mate

What bolt would you use?

There are many factors to consider when choosing a bolt, including the material, size, and intended use of the bolt. It is important to consult a hardware or construction expert for specific recommendations.

What materials are bolts typically made of?

Bolts can be made of a variety of materials, including steel, stainless steel, brass, and titanium. Each material has its own properties and advantages, so it is important to choose the right material for your specific application.

What size bolt should I use?

The size of the bolt you need will depend on the size and weight of the object you are securing. It is important to choose a bolt with the appropriate diameter and length to ensure a secure fit.

What is the difference between a bolt and a screw?

While both bolts and screws are used to fasten objects, bolts typically have a larger head and require a nut to secure them in place. Screws, on the other hand, have a smaller head and are typically self-tapping, meaning they do not require a separate nut.

What type of bolt should I use for outdoor applications?

For outdoor applications, it is important to choose a bolt made of a corrosion-resistant material such as stainless steel or titanium. These materials are less likely to rust or deteriorate in outdoor environments. Additionally, it is important to choose a bolt with the appropriate strength and size for the specific outdoor application.