Solving a Connection Problem: Bolted Joint Stress Analysis

In summary, the person has a problem with a welded joint that is attached to two U beams. The joint has three bolts, one for each beam. The person found the bending moment and the centroid of the welded joint. The person calculated the stress on the bolt due to the moment.
Mustard Dijon
Hi dear friends. I have a big problem and I need your help, I've realized that the joint connection I've drawn (and it is made already) was (most probably) wrong. There is a plate that is bolted to two U beams and the plate is welded to a horizontal I beam at the top. Please take a look at the picture link below. Three of the bolts are for a U beam and three for the other (they are diagonal), top "dot" is the centroid of the welded I beam (there is the same plate at the other side of the I beam, so the system is symmetric wrt the I beam).

I don't have many tools at work, so I manually investigated the joint stresses at the top I beam (can anyone comment on the suitability of this method, what I did is I isolated the top beam in a complicated system because the program I use doesn't give joint stresses, then I found the joint stress and I assume this is the joint stress in the system).

Anyways, my main question is about bolts.To cut it short I'll try to show what I did for bending moment My only and for one of the bolts at the top. I found My as approx. +4500000Nmm. Then I've found the centroid of the bolted joint as (200,100). Now the tensile force due to My on the top bolt should be ((bending moment)*(distance from bolt to the y-axis ))/(sum of all bolt distances to the y-axis squared) which is
((4500000)*(50))/(50^2+0^2+100^2+50^2+100^2+0^2)=9000 N

Then the stress is 9000/144(bolt area)=62.5 mpa due to My.

But I didn't consider (where I did wrong) that the centroid of the I beam (where moments are applied to the plate) is not coincident with the bolt centroid. I don't know how this comes into play. There is a 180 mm distance between the bolt centroid and the I beam centroid. Frankly how does the moment from weld joint affects the bolts I can't really physically understand in my mind. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

http://i.imgur.com/SzgtYxy.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
It is hard to understand the problem without looking at the entire system and loading. You might not even have a moment on the bolts of significance, like if were a truss. Even though the joint is not a true pin, many trusses have large gusset plates at the joints, which may be treated as a pinned joint with small error, and you just get axial forces in the members and the bolts ate designed to resist the shear from the axial loads. The diagonal bolt line of action should line up with the I beam centroid more or less. But I'm only guessing what the system may look like.

Likes Mustard Dijon
Yeah it is difficut to describe the problem without pics so I've drawn a representative version of the system. The I beam is welded from the top, the plates with the holes are attached to diagonal beams with bolts. I isolated the I beam from the system and found its support stresses. Then calculated the bolt stresses but I don't know what would be the effect of the distance between the I beam and the bolt centroids. The lines of action points to the I beam centroid.

http://i.imgur.com/CgLnM78.png

Last edited:
You want to calculate the support forces and moments, not the support stresses. Depending on what loading arrangement is applied to the system, the bolt pattern could be subject to forces and moments in all directions. Be sure to consider the forces as well as moments acting on the bolts. If there is a moment acting on the bolts, it doesn't matter if it is eccentric to the cg of the bolt pattern.

Likes Mustard Dijon
Thank you Sir. It is just my bad wording, I meant support forces and moments. Thanks a lot.

What is a bolted joint stress analysis?

A bolted joint stress analysis is a process used to determine the amount of stress and load that a bolted joint can withstand before it fails. This analysis takes into consideration factors such as material properties, bolt size and type, and external forces acting on the joint.

What are the common causes of connection problems in bolted joints?

Some common causes of connection problems in bolted joints include inadequate bolt tightening, mismatched bolt and nut materials, corrosion, and inadequate joint design or assembly.

How is a bolted joint stress analysis performed?

A bolted joint stress analysis is typically performed using computer-based simulations or physical testing. The process involves inputting all relevant data such as material properties, bolt dimensions, and external forces, and then analyzing the joint to determine its stress and load capacity.

What are the consequences of not properly addressing a connection problem in a bolted joint?

If a connection problem in a bolted joint is not properly addressed, it can lead to joint failure, which can result in costly repairs, production delays, and potentially dangerous situations if the joint is part of a critical structure or system.

What steps can be taken to prevent connection problems in bolted joints?

To prevent connection problems in bolted joints, it is important to follow proper bolt tightening procedures, use high-quality bolts and nuts that are appropriate for the application, and regularly inspect and maintain the joint for any signs of wear or damage. Additionally, proper joint design and assembly are crucial in preventing connection problems.