Which books for Calculus AND Linear Algebra

In summary, the conversation discussed two possible paths for self-study in Calculus and Linear Algebra. The first path involves using books by Keisler, Nitecki, and Freidberg, while the second path involves using books by Simmons, Apostol, and Shilov. The individual is seeking a systematic approach to studying mathematics and has a strong interest in proofs. They also mention considering using Lang's books as an alternative to Simmons. Suggestions for other books, including Spivak's "Calculus" and Larson's "Calculus" are also mentioned. The conversation ends with a recommendation to focus on understanding Apostol's book, as it may cover enough linear algebra and is a valuable resource.
MyWrathAcademia
I wanted to go through Calculus and then Linear Algebra following either of two paths:

a) Keisler's Infinitesmal approach>>>Nitecki Deconstructing Calculus>>>Nitecki Calculus in 3D>>>Freidberg's Linear Algebra

OR

b) Simmons Calculus with analytic geometry>>>Apostol Vol 1>>>>Apostol Vol 2>>>>Shilov's Linear Algebra

The first path (a), follows micromass's self-study article but the problem I have with it is that it is almost impossible to find any reviews on both of Nitecki's books.

I have a pretty good level of Mathematical Maturity from my studies in Mechanical Engineering but never studied Maths in a systematic way and had terrible teachers. Therefore I want to change that by following a regime using a sequence of books. I've grown to realize that I think more like a mathematician/philosopher so I like the idea of proofs which I did rudimentarily while in high school.

If it helps I'd like the linear Algebra and Calculus I learn to be relevant for a graduate course in Computer Vision. Although I still want to gain the full benefit of a rigorous mathematical approach to Calculus and Linear Algebra, not an engineering approach.
I considered using Lang's intro Calculus and Linear Algebra books in place of Simmons for Calculus and also as an additional book for learning Linear Algebra. If you have opinions on this, I would like to hear them too.

Physics news on Phys.org
MyWrathAcademia said:
I have a pretty good level of Mathematical Maturity from my studies in Mechanical Engineering but never studied Maths in a systematic way and had terrible teachers. Therefore I want to change that by following a regime using a sequence of books. I've grown to realize that I think more like a mathematician/philosopher so I like the idea of proofs which I did rudimentarily while in high school.

Same for me. At the beginning it was fun and useful, but then I abandoned the project :sorry:

Btw here on PF, someone once suggested me Spivak's "Calculus". It is really good and since you have te same interest I had, I can assure you it is a book worth reading (or at least consulting... you know, 600 or more pages... ). From what I have understood is more or less on the same level of Apostol, but it is "smoother" (?). Anyway I don't know the other books so I can't really say what you should do, but if you can download Spivak's book you can check if you like it.

Likes ibkev
you cannot go wrong with either choice. in the first place the mere fact that micromass rcommended those books is in itself a positive review and one by someone you know is very reliable. as a second one i will say that i was very positively impressed by the only book i have read by nitecki, his DE book.

in the second choice of course i rcommend anything by apostol and simmons.

Maybe someone else can comment on this, but as far as I know, Apostol teaches linear algebra as you go. So, a dedicated text after Apostol might not totally be necessary. If Apostol teaches enough linear algebra and you have enough mathematical maturity, you're time could be best spent on really understanding Apostol and not worrying about other books.

Likes MyWrathAcademia

What is the best book for learning Calculus and Linear Algebra?

The best book for learning Calculus and Linear Algebra is subjective and depends on the individual's learning style and level of understanding. Some popular options include "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart and "Linear Algebra and Its Applications" by David C. Lay.

Is it necessary to use separate books for Calculus and Linear Algebra?

It is not necessary to use separate books for Calculus and Linear Algebra. Many textbooks cover both subjects in one book, allowing for a more integrated approach to learning.

What are some recommended books for self-studying Calculus and Linear Algebra?

Some recommended books for self-studying Calculus and Linear Algebra include "Calculus and Linear Algebra" by Wilfred Kaplan and "Calculus: Single and Multivariable" by Deborah Hughes-Hallett.

Are there any online resources for learning Calculus and Linear Algebra?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning Calculus and Linear Algebra, including interactive tutorials, video lectures, and practice problems. Some popular websites include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Coursera.

What should I look for in a good Calculus and Linear Algebra book?

A good Calculus and Linear Algebra book should have clear explanations, plenty of examples, and practice problems with solutions. It should also cover all the necessary topics and have a good balance between theory and application.