Which bosons are used to mediate the electroweak force?

In summary: Thank you for your help!In summary, the electroweak force is a unified force that combines both electromagnetism and the weak nuclear force. All four particles (W+, W-, Z0, and γ) mediate the EW force, meaning that when the force is acting on an object, all four particles are acting simultaneously. The W bosons do use photons for their electromagnetic fields, but their short half-life means that the effect of the photons is negligible in most cases. However, in high energy collisions, the interaction between photons and W bosons is important.
Bararontok
The electroweak force is a unified force that combines both electromagnetism and the weak nuclear force. But since the electromagnetic force is mediated by photons and the weak nuclear force is mediated by W & Z bosons, which of these particles actually mediates the electroweak force? Is it the photons, the W & Z bosons, or all three particles?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bararontok said:
The electroweak force is a unified force that combines both electromagnetism and the weak nuclear force. But since the electromagnetic force is mediated by photons and the weak nuclear force is mediated by W & Z bosons, which of these particles actually mediates the electroweak force? Is it the photons, the W & Z bosons, or all three particles?

All four particles (W+, W-, Z0, and γ) mediate the EW force.

BBB

That means that when the electroweak force is acting on an object, all four particles are acting at once.

Another interesting question: since the W+ and the W- particles have electric charge, does that mean that they use photons for their electromagnetic fields?

Bararontok said:
That means that when the electroweak force is acting on an object, all four particles are acting at once.

In a manner of speaking that's true enough (presumably you mean at high energies).

Bararontok said:
Another interesting question: since the W+ and the W- particles have electric charge, does that mean that they use photons for their electromagnetic fields?

Yes, by definition, since electromagnetic fields are only ever made of photons. These things don't live long enough to bother thinking about their interactions with photons in this classically-oriented way though. You are never going to see one leave a curved track in a magnetic field or anything.

Hi Kurros,

The gluons selfinteract because they carry color charges.
Why cannot we use this logic for W ?

kurros said:
Yes, by definition, since electromagnetic fields are only ever made of photons. These things don't live long enough to bother thinking about their interactions with photons in this classically-oriented way though. You are never going to see one leave a curved track in a magnetic field or anything.

The question did not ask about the interaction of the W bosons with the photons, only if the W bosons use photons for their electromagnetic fields. Of course with a half life of only 3x10−25s the effect of the photons on the W bosons is negligible since the W bosons quickly transform into other types of particles.

naima said:
Hi Kurros,

The gluons selfinteract because they carry color charges.
Why cannot we use this logic for W ?

You can, and they do. This random webpage I found just now http://acfahep.kek.jp/acfareport/node182.html" has a list of the "self-interaction" vertices of the electroweak gauge bosons in table 6.1. You will notice there is a WWWW coupling, and also WWZ, among others.

Bararontok said:
The question did not ask about the interaction of the W bosons with the photons, only if the W bosons use photons for their electromagnetic fields.

I just threw that in as a bonus. Did the first part of my response not answer your question?

Bararontok said:
Of course with a half life of only 3x10−25s the effect of the photons on the W bosons is negligible since the W bosons quickly transform into other types of particles.

Most of the time I think that's probably true, but W bosons themselves are basically negligible most of the time (the Fermi effective theory will do); In modern high energy collisions, however, it is very important and not at all negligible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, you are right
I also found
[PLAIN]http://www.rug.nl/kvi/research/kvitrimp/researchdescription/trix/screening_cropped.jpg
where a W loop gives a photon

Last edited by a moderator:
naima said:
Thank you, you are right
I also found
where a W loop gives a photon

Indeed, WWγ is also in the list I mentioned. Things are a bit more complicated than in QCD or QED because the concept of charge is not as "straightforward", since it gets somewhat mangled up during symmetry breaking, but the basic idea is there.

kurros said:
I just threw that in as a bonus. Did the first part of my response not answer your question?

The original question was answered and the bonus information is of course appreciated.

1. What is the electroweak force?

The electroweak force is one of the four fundamental forces of nature, along with gravity, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force. It is responsible for electromagnetic interactions and weak interactions between particles.

2. Which bosons are involved in the electroweak force?

The electroweak force is mediated by two types of bosons: the photon, which mediates electromagnetic interactions, and the W and Z bosons, which mediate weak interactions.

3. How do the W and Z bosons mediate the electroweak force?

The W and Z bosons are exchanged between particles to transfer the electroweak force. These bosons are responsible for interactions such as beta decay, where a neutron decays into a proton, electron, and antineutrino.

4. What is the role of symmetry breaking in the electroweak force?

Symmetry breaking is a key concept in the electroweak theory, where the symmetry between electromagnetic and weak interactions is broken at high energies, resulting in the two forces becoming distinct. This allows for the existence of the W and Z bosons and the different types of interactions they mediate.

5. How does the electroweak force relate to the Higgs boson?

The Higgs boson is a fundamental particle that was predicted by the electroweak theory. Its discovery in 2012 confirmed the mechanism of symmetry breaking in the electroweak force and provided evidence for the existence of the Higgs field, which gives mass to particles through interactions with the Higgs boson.