Which Cantilever Design Is More Efficient for a School Project?

In summary, Scott is asking for advice on building a cantilever for a high school physics project. The cantilever must be at least 12 inches long and the teacher will add weight until it breaks. Scott has two design plans and is looking for opinions on which would be more efficient. He is also asking for advice on the angle of the triangles used in the design. Mr. Robin Parsons suggests using fewer sticks and creating a rectangular cross section for the beam. Scott is not familiar with some terms and asks for a sketch to help him understand. He also mentions that the sticks he is using are lightweight and about 3 feet long.
shutout31
Hi, I'm doing a project for my HS physics class. I need to build a cantilever out of craft sticks (I'm using thin bass wood sticks) that needs to be at least 12 inches long. I'm being graded on the efficiency of it by weight (amount of weight it holds on the end divided by the weight of the cantilever). One end will be fixed while the other end will have the weight at 12 inches out. The teacher will add weight until it breaks. I have two plans that I narrowed it down to but I need your opinion for which design would be more efficient, look here for the rough sketches:

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/3/web/507000-507999/507399_15_full.jpg

The design will be have two sides like that and single pieces of wood to connect the two.

The other question I have is what angles should I make the triangles? 90-45-45 or 60-60-60?

Thanks in advance.

- Scott

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
anyone please?

Your designs are interesting, but you could (probably) use fewer sticksm, I would think...

Originally posted by Mr. Robin Parsons
Your designs are interesting, but you could (probably) use fewer sticksm, I would think...
Since weight is important, yeah, using less would probably be better. I'm thinking a right triangle with two members glued together cantilevered and one member at say a 45 degree angle up from the end.

If you can pick the cross section, the cantilevered member needs to be about twice as high as it is wide, the two glued together are my way of creating a rectancular cross section beam.

If there are standard length craft sticks or a limit to their length, then my idea becomes a little iffy since stability is best with a single-piece (horizontally) main beam.

I think I get most of what your saying but I'm not familiar with some of the terms you use such as "member" and "rectangular cross section". Is there any way you could do a sketch on microsoft draw or something? I'd really appreciate it. I'm just not good at terms and comprehension. That's why I hate literiture. And in case you were wondering, my ideas are based off this: http://www.brantacan.co.uk/ForthRail.jpg and how a crane is built. Also, the sticks are almost 3 feet long so I think I'm good for any length I need. The sticks are also very light, about the same weight as balsa (slightly more) so I don't think it hurts too much to have a little extra if it does in fact hold more. Thanks a lot for the help everyone.

- Scott

Last edited by a moderator:
Since you had mentioned that your mark would be based upon weight of the structure 'divided' by weight that it holds, I had thought you would be looking for the least possible weight of structure, hence "use less sticks" is good advice (right?) Try something like drawing just the bottom half and then a large "A" (or ^ that shape) that has a top that goes twice as high as the height of the body it is spanning, ergo twice a distant upon it's front face as well...means that the top half of the A will stick up above the top flat surface of the (bottom) structure...

Related to Which Cantilever Design Is More Efficient for a School Project?

1. What is a cantilever project?

A cantilever project is a type of construction or design where a horizontal beam or structure is supported on only one end, while the other end is left unsupported. This creates an overhanging effect and allows for larger open spaces without the need for additional support columns or beams.

2. What are some common examples of cantilever projects?

Some common examples of cantilever projects include balconies, bridges, and cantilevered roofs. In architecture, cantilevering is often used to create unique and visually striking designs.

3. How is a cantilever project designed and engineered?

Cantilever projects require careful planning and engineering to ensure stability and safety. This typically involves calculating the load and stress on the cantilevered beam, as well as using appropriate materials and reinforcement techniques.

4. What are the advantages of using a cantilever design?

Cantilever designs offer several advantages, including increased open space, flexibility in design, and cost savings by eliminating the need for additional support structures. They also allow for more creative and visually appealing designs.

5. Are there any limitations to cantilever projects?

There are some limitations to cantilever projects, as they require careful engineering and may not be suitable for large or heavy structures. Additionally, cantilevered structures are more susceptible to wind and seismic forces, so they may not be ideal for areas with extreme weather conditions.