Which case generates emf by electromagnetic induction

In summary, the direction of the flux in a coil is important in understanding electromagnetic induction. The direction of the flux can be changed by moving the coil up and down or rotating it around an axis parallel to the flux. In the case of a dynamo, the coil is rotated around an axis perpendicular to the flux, causing the amount of flux threading the loop to increase. The direction of the flux in a solenoid can be determined by using the right-hand rule, where the thumb points in the direction of the flux when the fingers are pointing in the direction of the current in the coils.
UnD3R0aTh
a. coil is moved up and down in the same direction of flux.
b. coil is rotated around an axis that is parallel to the flux.
c. coil is rotated to the direction of the flux like a dynamo.

2. Electromagnetic inductions laws.
3. I'm really having a hard time understanding how change in area changes the rate of flux so please explain to me the basic rules that will help me understand and solve the problem on my own, i studied induction on my own and i have an important test coming soon. you are not solving my homework i promise you, you are helping me understand induction.

however, first two cases no induction will occur because there is no change in the area that cuts the flux lines, third one emf generates

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
UnD3R0aTh said:
a. coil is moved up and down in the same direction of flux.
b. coil is rotated around an axis that is parallel to the flux.
c. coil is rotated to the direction of the flux like a dynamo.

2. Electromagnetic inductions laws.
3. I'm really having a hard time understanding how change in area changes the rate of flux so please explain to me the basic rules that will help me understand and solve the problem on my own, i studied induction on my own and i have an important test coming soon. you are not solving my homework i promise you, you are helping me understand induction.

however, first two cases no induction will occur because there is no change in the area that cuts the flux lines, third one emf generates

I think option (c) has a few words missing
c. coil is rotated around an axis perpendicular to the direction of the flux like a dynamo.

In that case / the dynamo case the turns of the coils are alternately perpendicular to the parallel to the flux, and so the area presented changes - so emf is induced.

imagine the flux lines run up the page.

That means the axis could be positioned across the page. (it is perpendicular to the flux)

Lets begin with the coil flat on the page. (so no flux passes through it)

As the coil rotates, perhaps the top of the coil gets buried into the plane of the page, while the bottom of the coil will rise out from the plane of the page.

after 90 degrees of rotation, the plane of the coil will be perpendicular to the flux, so the amount of flux threading the loop is increased.

PeterO said:
I think option (c) has a few words missing
c. coil is rotated around an axis perpendicular to the direction of the flux like a dynamo.

In that case / the dynamo case the turns of the coils are alternately perpendicular to the parallel to the flux, and so the area presented changes - so emf is induced.

imagine the flux lines run up the page.

That means the axis could be positioned across the page. (it is perpendicular to the flux)

Lets begin with the coil flat on the page. (so no flux passes through it)

As the coil rotates, perhaps the top of the coil gets buried into the plane of the page, while the bottom of the coil will rise out from the plane of the page.

after 90 degrees of rotation, the plane of the coil will be perpendicular to the flux, so the amount of flux threading the loop is increased.

thank you, that is exactly like the dynamo, but what about my answer to the first two? am i correct? will the same happen if we replaced the flux lines with an upright solenoid? what's the conventional direction for the flux of a solenoid?

UnD3R0aTh said:
thank you, that is exactly like the dynamo, but what about my answer to the first two? am i correct? will the same happen if we replaced the flux lines with an upright solenoid? what's the conventional direction for the flux of a solenoid?

You were right about the first two.

I don't quite see what you're getting out with the bit I made red?

PeterO said:
You were right about the first two.

I don't quite see what you're getting out with the bit I made red?

some problems mention solenoids instead of flux lines which means i have to know the direction of the flux of a solenoid which is only regular in the center, I'm asking what is the conventional direction if a solenoid is mentioned, if it was upright the flux will be from downwards to upwards correct?

UnD3R0aTh said:
some problems mention solenoids instead of flux lines which means i have to know the direction of the flux of a solenoid which is only regular in the center, I'm asking what is the conventional direction if a solenoid is mentioned, if it was upright the flux will be from downwards to upwards correct?

To find the direction of the flux inside a solenoid, you imagine grasping the solenoid with your right hand with your fingers pointing in the direction of the current in the coils of the solenoid.
You thumb then points in the direction of the flux.

Likes 1 person

1. What is electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction is the process of creating an electric current in a conductor by moving the conductor through a magnetic field or by changing the magnetic field through the conductor.

2. What is the case that generates emf by electromagnetic induction?

The case that generates emf (electromotive force) by electromagnetic induction is when a conductor is moved through a magnetic field, or when a magnetic field is changed through a conductor, resulting in the creation of an electric current.

3. How does electromagnetic induction work?

Electromagnetic induction works by creating a magnetic field, which can be done by passing an electric current through a wire or by using a permanent magnet. This magnetic field then interacts with a conductor, causing a change in the flow of electrons and generating an electric current in the conductor.

4. What are some examples of electromagnetic induction?

Some examples of electromagnetic induction include generators, transformers, and induction cooktops. Generators use electromagnetic induction to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy, transformers use it to change the voltage of an alternating current, and induction cooktops use it to heat up cooking pots and pans.

5. How is electromagnetic induction used in everyday life?

Electromagnetic induction is used in many everyday devices and technologies, such as electric motors, generators, transformers, and wireless charging. It is also used in household appliances like refrigerators, washing machines, and hair dryers. Additionally, electromagnetic induction is used in power plants to generate electricity for homes and businesses.