Which country has the best national anthem?

• Thread starter leopard
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the best national anthems from various countries, with a particular focus on South Africa's anthem which is sung in three different languages. Some participants mention their personal favorites, such as Russia and France, while others comment on the uniqueness and musical aspects of national anthems. One person even suggests Enya as a potential national anthem singer.
leopard
http://www.nationalanthemsworld.com/

A lot of crappy anthems out there, particularly in Africa and Asia. But here are the 20 best ones IMO:

1. Russia
2. Germany
3. Canada
4. Poland
5. Romania
6. Brazil
7. France
8. Sweden
9. Great Britain
10. Bangladesh
11. Kazakhstan
12. Mongolia
13. Italy
14. Bahamas (inspired by the Canadian?)
15. USA
16. Andorra (inspired by the French?)
17. Spain
18. Portugal
19. Norway
20. Netherlands

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
In my opinion, South Africa has the best national anthem, with Australia first.

By the way I'm a New Zealander, just to eliminate any accusations of bias.

Russia

I agree with joeyar.

South Africa's national anthem has parts in 3 languages, I think that's pretty cool. First part is Xhosa, the second is Afrikaans and the third is English.

Problem is that the tune is use in the national anthem of other african countries too, so it loses it's uniqueness musically.

That site has the lyrics wrong for Germany - Deutschland über alles is not sung anymore, that was the Nazi and Weimar Republics' anthem. Only the third stanza is sung now.

I would say the soviet national anthem. I dislike the concept but their song is sung here a lot for various humour-reasons.

The best lyrics would although be the french national anthem.

http://www.nationalanthemsworld.com/anthems/france.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I think enya would do a cracking national anthem. Look at what she did to "there's a hole in my bucket"

Related to Which country has the best national anthem?

1. What makes a national anthem the "best"?

The concept of a "best" national anthem is subjective and can vary depending on personal or cultural preferences. Some may consider a national anthem to be the best based on its musical composition, lyrics, or historical significance.

2. How is a national anthem chosen?

The process of choosing a national anthem varies from country to country. Some nations hold contests or invite composers to submit proposals, while others have designated anthems that have been passed down through generations.

3. Can a national anthem be changed?

Yes, a national anthem can be changed. Some countries have changed their anthems multiple times throughout history. However, it is a significant decision and often requires a political or cultural consensus.

4. How do national anthems affect national identity?

National anthems can play a significant role in shaping and reinforcing a country's national identity. They often contain lyrics that reflect the country's history, values, and aspirations, and can evoke strong emotions and pride in citizens.

5. Can a national anthem be used for political purposes?

National anthems can be used for political purposes, such as during rallies or protests. However, it is important to note that the original intention of a national anthem is to unite and represent a nation, not to divide or promote political agendas.