Which country is ranked as the best for females in the G20?

• Thread starter rootX
  • Start date
In summary: I guess it just goes to show that no country is perfect for everyone.In summary, Canada is the best country for females, followed by Germany, Britain, Australia, France, the United States, Japan, Italy, Argentina, Brazil, Turkey, Russia, China, Mexico, South Africa, Indonesia, Saudi Arabia, and India.
rootX
http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Canada+best+country+females/6780157/story.html

I am bit surprised to see following ranks:

1. Canada

2. Germany

3. Britain

4. Australia

5. France

6. United States

7. Japan

8. Italy

9. Argentina

10. South Korea

11. Brazil

12. Turkey

13. Russia

14. China

15. Mexico

16. South Africa

17. Indonesia

18. Saudi Arabia

19. India - Reuters

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Which ones do you find surprising? Looks about right to me.

Hmm... it wouldn't be a news story in Vancouver, unless Canada came either first or last!

Jack21222 said:
Which ones do you find surprising? Looks about right to me.

Few surprises:
- Religiously conservative country like SA is above India
- Canada is number 1 :smile:
- Germany/France are not as better for women than Canada as I thought

AlephZero said:
Hmm... it wouldn't be a news story in Vancouver, unless Canada came either first or last!

I usually prefer to use Vancouver Sun since I love Vancouver so much! :smile:

rootX said:
- Germany/France are not as better for women than Canada as I thought
I suppose it depends on just how one measures. France may take a hit for banning burqas and allegedly reducing the freedoms of women or they may just as well get a boost from it for fighting the oppression of women.

Here's the original source:
www.trust.org/trustlaw/news/special-coverage/g20women/
Here's a fact sheet of how the report was generated:
http://www.trust.org/documents/womens-rights/resources/G20Poll2012-methodologyandresults.pdf
Regarding the ranking:
How were the countries ranked? said:
Respondents were asked to rank the three best and three worst countries for women in seven different categories: workplace opportunities, access to resources, participation in politics, quality of health, freedom from violence, freedom from trafficking and slavery, and an “overall” category. Countries were ranked based on their scores in each category.
It goes into more detail as to why the rankings are the way they are. For example for Canada (the best) and India (the worse);
28a6w08.jpg

16kbz9j.jpg

And the rating for men-country should not be that much different.

I do wonder why Canada received such a high score in the human trafficking item (11.71) (US 4.0 ) especially in light of the fact that the US recently gave Canada a nudge to do some updates on the issue. Although 19 would have been a perfect score.

This is from a few years and somewhat current:
A 2003 US report on human trafficking1 found little Canadian data and described Canada as lacking a national strategy on trafficking, making little effort to prosecute traffickers, giving victims no assistance or protection, and frequently deporting or charging them as criminals. The report therefore downgraded Canada from the (top) rating of a tier 1 country to one of the 75 tier 2 countries,1 which include Albania, Angola and Bangladesh. Until 2004, Canada focused its efforts mostly on prevention, with strict migration rules and by contributing to anti-trafficking funds in source countries.1
http://www.cmaj.ca/content/173/1/25.full

NGOs and government agencies do not agree on the assessment of the problem in Canada.

I'm curious; looking at the example of Canada, it is saying that "62% of university graduates are female" makes the country good for women. Presumably this is because it is more than half. This implies that only 38% of university graduates are male. Does this make the country bad for men?

TheShrike said:
This implies that only 38% of university graduates are male. Does this make the country bad for men?
No because it's extremely unlikely that men are underrepresented because of oppressive laws or customs. The same can't be said for a low number of female graduates. If course though this statistic can't be taken in of itself but rather as a marker to be looked into.

Ryan_m_b said:
Here's the original source:
www.trust.org/trustlaw/news/special-coverage/g20women/
Here's a fact sheet of how the report was generated:
http://www.trust.org/documents/womens-rights/resources/G20Poll2012-methodologyandresults.pdf
Regarding the ranking:

It goes into more detail as to why the rankings are the way they are. For example for Canada (the best) and India (the worse);

Something interesting I came across a day before I read the rankings:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2012/04/13/third-child-male-india-mothers.html
Ratio of 136 boys to 100 girls raises issue of selective abortion

It's funny how the worst G20 country women still suffer even when they are in the best G20 country for the women.

What is the G20 country for females?

The G20 country for females refers to the country that has been ranked as the best place for women to live in according to the annual G20 Gender Equality Monitor. This ranking takes into account factors such as women's economic participation, educational attainment, health, and political empowerment.

Which country is currently ranked as the top G20 country for females?

As of 2021, the top G20 country for females is Canada. It has consistently ranked high in terms of women's economic participation, political empowerment, and educational attainment. It also has strong policies in place to promote gender equality and support women's rights.

How are G20 countries selected for the Gender Equality Monitor?

The G20 countries are selected based on their economic status and global influence. The G20 consists of 19 individual countries and the European Union, with a focus on the world's major economies. These countries have a significant impact on the global economy and international affairs.

Are there any G20 countries that have shown improvement in gender equality over the years?

Yes, there have been several G20 countries that have shown improvement in gender equality over the years. For example, South Korea has made significant strides in closing the gender gap in the workforce and increasing women's representation in politics. France has also implemented policies to promote equal pay and improve work-life balance for women.

What are some challenges that G20 countries face in achieving gender equality?

Some challenges that G20 countries face in achieving gender equality include cultural and societal norms that limit women's opportunities, systemic gender discrimination in the workplace, and unequal access to education and healthcare. Additionally, political and economic policies that do not prioritize gender equality can hinder progress in this area.