Which Course is Better for a Career in Space Research: Aeronautics or ECE?

In summary, Benzundude recommends ECE over Aeronautics because ECE has a greater chance of yielding research opportunities. He is from India and studied in a CBSE school abroad, so his education system is different from the American one. He recommends that you ask someone near you who is in college for advice. Both aeronautics and ECE have a high demand for good computer skills, so he recommends studying engineering in India if possible. Finally, he advises against trying to pursue a career in aeronautics as a foreigner, as the research opportunities are limited.
benzun_1999
hi,
long time since i visited Physicsforums.com. I am stuck with a very important and basic problem. I am going to enter college and i must decide my couse.
I like both Aeronautics and ECE. I want to end up somewhere in NASA, ISRO, space research organisation or something in the forefront of development. I want to do research and bring out innovative ideas. I have been doing a lot of research on what to choose. My teacer adviced me to go for ECE over aero as she feels it will give more oppurtunity for research be less industrial oriented. I seriously need to know which will give me more chance for research and more chance to be the forefront in development. Please give me suggestions and opinions. I have a computer backgroud too, which i don't want to put to waste. I was good in phy,chem,maths and comp. And was expectionally good at computers during my school day. I studied in CBSE(India). I am trying to get into some of the NITs. And one more thing is it still possible to keep supplementing my computer skill though i take some other egg like ECE or aero? please advice me. i am in a very bad mess.

-Benzun

Physics news on Phys.org
dude for RnD, go to the aero thing. your teacher don't know a thing(thats why she is a teacher). here in india, they only tell you what is going to fetch you some big money, they don't even know what kind of research you can do in these engineering fields. BTW where are you from?
i don't think scoring good in your school does any help,
hehe i also topped in comps in my school, but you need to know the truth, education system here sux. it really does. it prepares you to suck efficiently like half of India is doing!
forget about taking advice from your teacher, ask someone near you who is in college, it ll be much better

thanks for the advice, i am an indian who studied in CBSE in a school abroad india(muscat). so the kind of training i received is different and i am determined to reach the top no matter what it takes. are u an aeronautical egg?? are u a graduate from india? How wide is the research scope in it?

i am doing mechanical engineering in india.
i am not saying anything about your attitude of getting to the top or the kinda training you got, all i am saying is that the system here is all so messed up that its almost impossible, still i try to do my best. hehe... thatz all i can do.
about the research n all things, both electronics and mechanical(i guess aeronautical is just a specialized field in mechanical) are the best fields to do it. you can't go on counting the opportunities in these fields. look for your instinct, which topic do you feel comfortable with? ECE or MECH??
and both these fields have equal demand of good computer knowledge

are you planning to do engineering from india?
give it a thought, look for some better place. research scope is awefully limited here

its not a option. looking from financial point of view.. i must do it in India and i can't waste a year so that i can go abroad... i am confused between ECE in NIT tiruchy, ECE in NIT Surathkall and Aero in PEC... so tell me what is the best? i am going to do masters in somewhere abroad mostly US... but for it need good reputation in my UG college... i must have enough papers and other materials supporting me so that i can get a seat in some good universities like MIT or caltech... etc

is it possible to come to aero field for masters after doing ECE for UG? How much is the possiblity for doing that? Will it be good?

Sorry to rain on your hopes and dreams, but just so you know working at NASA as a foreign national (non-American) is almost impossible since you would be working for the United States government. I am not really sure how ESA does their hiring but they may be less strict.

Good luck.

Any aeronautics or ECE engineer here? Can you pls help me? Please give me information, please guide me.

PEC aero restricts you very much (thatz why i left it)

both NIT's that you said you can admission in are good for ECE

thanks for the info... i need to decide one out of the two that's the problem.. my friend claims ECE in Surathkall is better than ECE in tiruchy

actually i don't know much about NIT's. but my uncle did ECE from NIT surathkal. and some friend of mine also said NIT surathkal is the best of all NIT's

What is the difference between Aeronautics and ECE?

Aeronautics is the study and application of the science of flight, specifically of designing and building aircraft. ECE, on the other hand, stands for Electrical and Computer Engineering, which involves the study and application of electronic and computer systems in various industries.

What career options are available in Aeronautics and ECE?

Career options in Aeronautics include aerospace engineer, aircraft maintenance technician, and pilot. In ECE, career options include electrical engineer, computer hardware engineer, and software developer.

Which field has more job opportunities?

Both Aeronautics and ECE have a high demand for skilled professionals in various industries. Aeronautics offers opportunities in the aviation and aerospace industries, while ECE provides opportunities in industries such as telecommunications, electronics, and computer technology.

Is one field more challenging than the other?

Both Aeronautics and ECE require a strong understanding of math and science principles, as well as problem-solving skills. However, the level of difficulty may vary for each individual depending on their strengths and interests.

Can Aeronautics and ECE be combined in a career?

Yes, there are several career paths that combine Aeronautics and ECE, such as avionics engineering and aerospace systems engineering. These roles involve the use of electronic and computer systems in the design and maintenance of aircraft.