Which eigenvalue has multiplicity greater than 1 ?

In summary, the eigenvalues of a matrix are -2, 2 and 1 respectively. The eigenvalue with multiplicity of 2 is the one with the largest eigenvalue.
sid9221
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33103477/question.png

I have determined the eigenvalues which are -2, 2 and 1 respectively.

I'm pretty sure that the one with multiplicity of 2 is the, the eigenvalue = 2 as it occur's twice in the diagnol. But I don't think that's a concrete enough reason.

Any ideas how to proceed ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
sid9221 said:

I'm pretty sure that the one with multiplicity of 2 is the, the eigenvalue = 2 as it occur's twice in the diagnol. But I don't think that's a concrete enough reason.
I don't think it's even a correct reason, let alone being concrete enough.

Since you now have the eigenvalues, row reduce the matrix A - λI, substituting for λ each of your eigenvalues. For one value, the row-reduced matrix will have a solution space that is two-dimensional. For the other two values, the solution space will be one-dimensional.
sid9221 said:

Thanks, worked it out and it makes sense. Turns out 2 is the one with multiplicity equal to 2.

The other part of the question ask's for a 4x4 invertible matrix P and an upper triangular matrix T such that T=P^-1 A P.

Now the problem with that is that any combination of the eigenvectors to form P would involve 2identical columns(as the multiplicity is 2), hence the matrix would not be invertible. So am I missing something ?

Check your work. In my work, λ = 2 has multiplicity 1, and the associated eigenvector is <1, 0, -1, 1>T.

Mark44 said:
Check your work. In my work, λ = 2 has multiplicity 1, and the associated eigenvector is <1, 0, -1, 1>T.

Are you sure ? Too recheck I plugged the values into an applet to find eigen values and vectors and here is the result...

Characteristic polynomial:
x^4 - 3x^3 - 2x^2 + 12x - 8

Real eigenvalues:
{-2, 1, 2, 2}

Eigenvector of eigenvalue -2:
(1, 1, 0, 0)
Eigenvector of eigenvalue 1:
(0, 0, -1, 1)
Eigenvector of eigenvalue 2:
(1, 0, -1, 1)
Eigenvector of eigenvalue 2:
(1, 0, -1, 1)

So that's multiplicity 2 for the eigenvalue 2 ?

Also any matrix formed with these would be not invertible(2 identical columns) so how do I work around that when creating an invertible matrix ?

There are two kinds of multiplicities: algebraic and geometric. The algebraic multiplicity of the eigenvalue 2 is two, because the λ - 2 factor in the characteristic equation occurs to power two. The geometric multiplicity of this eigenvalue is one, because there is only a single eigenvector for λ = 2.

The upshot is that I don't think you can diagonalize matrix A because there aren't enough eigenvectors.

Right. If one is an eigenvalue with both algeraic and geometric multiplicity 1 and 2 is an eigenvalue with algebraic multiplicity 2 but its geometric multiplicity is only 1, then it is similar to the "Jordan Normal Form"
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}2 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 2 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
but cannot be diagonalized.

sid9221 said:

In general, the method you try (viz., knowing the eigenvectors and then determining the eigenvalues) will only tell you about multiplicity in case some of your eigenvector equations have more than one linearly-independent solution. For some matrices, that happens, but for others it does not. When the dimensionality of the eigenvector space is less than the n (for an nxn matrix) the only sure way to proceed is to determine the characteristic polynomial of the matrix, to determine the multiplicity of its roots.

RGV

1. What is an eigenvalue with multiplicity greater than 1?

An eigenvalue with multiplicity greater than 1 refers to an eigenvalue that has more than one corresponding eigenvector. This means that there are multiple solutions to the eigenvalue equation for that particular eigenvalue.

2. How is the multiplicity of an eigenvalue determined?

The multiplicity of an eigenvalue can be determined by finding the dimension of the eigenspace associated with that eigenvalue. This can be done by finding the number of linearly independent eigenvectors corresponding to that eigenvalue.

3. Why is it important to know the multiplicity of an eigenvalue?

The multiplicity of an eigenvalue can provide important information about the behavior of a linear transformation or matrix. It can also help determine the diagonalizability of a matrix, which has implications for solving systems of linear equations.

4. Can an eigenvalue have a multiplicity greater than the dimension of the matrix?

No, the multiplicity of an eigenvalue cannot be greater than the dimension of the matrix. This is because the maximum number of linearly independent eigenvectors that can correspond to an eigenvalue is equal to the dimension of the matrix.

5. How can the multiplicity of an eigenvalue be used in real-world applications?

The multiplicity of an eigenvalue can be used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. It can help in analyzing and predicting the behavior of systems and networks, as well as in solving differential equations and optimizing algorithms.