Which engineering field to go into?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the speaker's decision to pursue an engineering degree as a backup plan in case they do not go to medical school. They are considering chemical engineering due to their strong aptitude in mathematics and chemistry, but are also interested in electrical engineering. They seek input from others regarding the difficulty and variety of both fields and how they align with their interests and plans for medical school. The general consensus is that chemical engineering may be the better choice for someone interested in medicine, but electrical engineering offers a variety of subfields and requires a strong foundation in math and physics.
Nick PG
Eventually I would like to go to medical school, but in case it is not for me at the end of they day I decided 6 months ago I wanted an engineering degree to fall back on ( as most pre-meds are biology majors and I don't want to study protists if I do not go to med school).
So it turns out I've got a fairly strong aptitude when it comes to mathematics seeing as cacl I and II have been pretty breezey and my forte in the sciences is definitely chemistry.
This points me towards a chemical engineering degree, but I am still unsure as I do not want to miss out in other areas I would have liked more, such as electrical engineering which sounds insanely cool.
I just wanted input from other current and former college who had to face a similar decision as me and anybody who has personal experience on how difficult electrical engineering is.
Thanks guys,
Nick

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm currently in my second year in electrical engineering, so I can talk about that.

One thing I would have to say is that you would certainly be required to take extra courses while in electrical engineering (if you went that route) in order to meet the requirements for entry into medical school. Some EE programs don't even require chemistry, and you'll have to have organic chemistry under your belt for medical school (which is something I believe all chemical engineers have to take).

If you're interested in materials, thermodynamics (heat flow, etc.), fluids, plants (like chemical plants, not the things that grow out of the ground), and of course, chemistry, then chemical engineering is the better path to take.

If you prefer computers (how they work and how to use them to accomplish engineering tasks), circuits, electronic devices, electromagnetism, etc. then electrical engineering is the best choice. There are honestly a lot of fields of electrical engineering, and many of them are quite different. Power engineering is different than electronics engineering, and much different than computer engineering. There's a good amount of variety. Of course, there may be some chemical engineers here to speak about the variety of that field.

As far as difficulty is concerned--it depends on several things. What do you consider "a lot of work"? Are you good at math and physics? If you're weak at the basics of math, then you'd likely struggle, so that's something you should work on. If you're comfortable with math, then you'll be in a good position (for either major). My first couple of semesters I'd say I was moderately busy. I put in what I'd say was about 7-10 hours a week outside of class. Now as I'm taking more difficult classes, it can sometimes be about 20 hours outside of class some weeks. But that all depends on the person.

To be honest, if you're deadset on medical school, then your ideal major is probably chemical engineering, now that I think about it. Even if you don't go to medical school, from what I understand, chemical engineers can work with medicines.

Likes Niflheim
I would definitely recommend Chemical Engineering for you over Electrical if you're interested in med school, especially with the interests and strengths you mentioned.

1. What are the different types of engineering fields?

There are many different types of engineering fields, including mechanical, electrical, civil, chemical, and aerospace engineering. Each of these fields focuses on different areas of study and application, such as designing machines, developing electrical systems, constructing buildings and infrastructure, creating new materials, and designing and building aircraft and spacecraft.

2. How do I choose which engineering field is right for me?

Choosing an engineering field can be a difficult decision, but it is important to consider your interests, strengths, and career goals. Research different fields and their job responsibilities, talk to professionals in those fields, and consider the types of projects and industries that align with your interests and skills.

3. What is the job outlook for different engineering fields?

The job outlook for engineering fields varies, but overall the demand for engineers is expected to grow in the coming years. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of engineers is projected to grow 4% from 2019 to 2029, adding about 316,000 new jobs.

4. What kind of education do I need for different engineering fields?

Most engineering fields require at least a bachelor's degree in engineering or a related field. Some fields, such as civil engineering, may require a graduate degree for certain positions. It is important to research the educational requirements for the specific field you are interested in.

5. How much do engineers in different fields typically earn?

The salary for engineers can vary greatly depending on the field, experience, and location. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for engineers in 2020 was $98,530. However, some fields, such as petroleum engineering, have a higher median salary, while others, such as agricultural engineering, have a lower median salary.