Which engineering is the best for me?

In summary: I don't know, the program is really good and the salaries are really good.Thanks for your answer, Astronuc.
WhoAm1
Good night, how are you?

So... I'm about to apply to an university and I decided to do an Engineering degree. But for now, I don't know which course is the best for me.

I'll give you some of my "personal interests" that can help you to give a more accurate answer.

1 - I like to create and repair stuffs;
2 - I've worked as a Java programmer for three years, I didn't like the work as programmer, but for hobbie, I like programming;
3 - I don't like to be "caged" in a office everyday, so, going outside sometimes it's really good for me (going outside in the purpose of the job).

These are some things that I think that are really relevant for me when choosing a career. I have the following options for Engineering: Naval Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics Engineering, Eletrical Engineering, Electronical Engineering and Aeroespace Engineering.

I've listed the options because I'm from Brazil and these are the Engineering courses available in the University that I'll apply. Please, if possible, consider good opportunities and salaries.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
WhoAm1 said:
Good night, how are you?

So... I'm about to apply to an university and I decided to do an Engineering degree. But for now, I don't know which course is the best for me.

I'll give you some of my "personal interests" that can help you to give a more accurate answer.

1 - I like to create and repair stuffs;
2 - I've worked as a Java programmer for three years, I didn't like the work as programmer, but for hobbie, I like programming;
3 - I don't like to be "caged" in a office everyday, so, going outside sometimes it's really good for me (going outside in the purpose of the job).

These are some things that I think that are really relevant for me when choosing a career. I have the following options for Engineering: Naval Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics Engineering, Eletrical Engineering, Electronical Engineering and Aeroespace Engineering.

I've listed the options because I'm from Brazil and these are the Engineering courses available in the University that I'll apply. Please, if possible, consider good opportunities and salaries.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the PF.

As a first guess, I'd think that you will like ME the best. But with most 4-year university engineering programs, you don't need to decide and declare your major until after the first 2 years. The first 2 years are pretty much the same for all engineering degrees.What country are you in? I started off as an EE/ME double major, and ended up graduating with an EE/CS degree. :smile:

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

As a first guess, I'd think that you will like ME the best. But with most 4-year university engineering programs, you don't need to decide and declare your major until after the first 2 years. The first 2 years are pretty much the same for all engineering degrees.What country are you in? I started off as an EE/ME double major, and ended up graduating with an EE/CS degree. :smile:

Thanks for your answer.

I'm in Brazil right now. But I aim to do an exchange, while in the university. Most of the universities that are partners with the university that I'll apply, have Mechanical Engineering programmes, and this is something that is leading me to choose ME. :D

Someone else? :P

Choosing an engineering discipline for a career is a personal matter; only one can decide for oneself.

Many engineers, e.g., those involved in design and analysis, will probably work in an office. Some engineers, e.g, civil engineers or construction engineers may work outdoors on projects involving infrastructure projects, e.g., bridges and various structures, roads or highways, . . . Electrical engineers who specialize in electrical power or transmission and distribution systems may find work outdoors.

Programming or use of computer programs can be part of engineering. Engineering programs are often written in Fortran or C/C++, but some can be written in newer languages like Python.

Thanks for your answer, Astronuc.

I've created this thread because the members aren't from my country and as my country doesn't have the best technology and opportunities (I'm Brazilian), you that live in Europe or North America can help me better, because I want to work and live in one of these continents.

I also considered doing a Physics Bacharel, because I really want to work in a place like CERN, Space X (Space X have really good opportunities for engineers too).

I suggest you look at what courses those degrees feature and see what attracts you the most.

Formagella said:
I suggest you look at what courses those degrees feature and see what attracts you the most.

Thanks for your answer.

I already did it. I liked Aerospace Engineering the most, I guess that I'll do this, because there is an university near to the city that I live with a good course.

Looking at what courses appeal to you may be a dangerous way to go about. It would be better to try to figure out which job activity follow from the courses you like because in the end you do your degree to get a job you like, not do a degree whose courses you like but which job you hate.

It is false to say that for everyone there's a 1 to 1 match.

Likes Shaun_W
Alcathous said:
Looking at what courses appeal to you may be a dangerous way to go about. It would be better to try to figure out which job activity follow from the courses you like because in the end you do your degree to get a job you like, not do a degree whose courses you like but which job you hate.

I think in this way too. Every option that I specified, somethings I like and others I dislike... of course that are one with more features that I like than the others. I primarily asked this to see the "career perspectives" of each course, cause, for example: the Engineering that I most like in those options is the Aerospace Engineering. If I go for the one that I like the most, I'll go for this, but I want to know if it's "easy" to get a job in the field, because I don't want to finish the course and go for a field that I dislike or even that don't have anything about the course that I graduated.

Also, thanks for your answer... I guess that I've already answered my own question! :D

Well, the likeliness of gettign the dream job you are educated to carry out is one more complicating factor. Extreme examples are in art. It may be that being a concert pianist is both your dream study and dream profession, but if statistics show that most trained concert pianists end up in jobs that have nothing to do with music and jobs you hate and pay poorly, then that is all part of the calculation.

Alcathous said:

that is true, but to be successful in getting the degree, you have to like studying for it and attending the courses. Besides, programs that make you end up in a programming career contain lots of programming courses themselves so it's not a totally wrong indicator.

Mechanical engineering is considered more flexible than aerospace but if your dream is aerospace and you're so good that you can get in a trainee program at Embraer or something you can succeed anyway.

1. What are the different types of engineering?

The main types of engineering are: mechanical, electrical, civil, chemical, computer, and aerospace engineering. Within these categories, there are also many subspecialties such as biomedical, environmental, and industrial engineering.

2. How do I decide which type of engineering is best for me?

The best way to decide which type of engineering is best for you is to consider your interests, skills, and career goals. Research the different types of engineering and their job prospects to see which aligns with your strengths and passions.

3. Is one type of engineering better than the others?

No, each type of engineering has its own unique advantages and applications. It ultimately depends on your individual interests and career goals to determine which type of engineering is the best fit for you.

4. What are some key differences between the different types of engineering?

The key differences between different types of engineering often lie in the subject matter and skills required. For example, mechanical engineering typically involves designing and building physical systems, while computer engineering focuses on software and digital systems.

5. Can I switch between different types of engineering in my career?

Yes, it is possible to switch between different types of engineering in your career. Many engineers have backgrounds in multiple types of engineering and can transition to different roles or industries throughout their careers. Continuing education and staying up-to-date with industry developments can help facilitate this transition.