Which Internship Should I Choose?

• Thread starter deki
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Internship
In summary, the individual is trying to decide between two internships in order to develop their career in the RF/telecomms field with a focus on design. The first internship is with a telecommunications company in Australia, where they will work on 4GX and use a program called Atoll. There is no guarantee of continuing work with them after the internship. The second internship is with an RF specific company that focuses on antenna, filter, and PCB design. They will use two industry standard programs, CST and Altium, that the individual is familiar with from university courses. There is a possibility of staying on with them after the internship. The individual is unsure which internship will provide them with more relevant experience and development of their skills, but
deki
I've been offered 2 internships, and I'm unsure which to go with since they both offer advantages. For the record I want to develop my career in the RF/telecomms field, with a focus on design. Also, I want to move to the US in the near future for work, so I'm trying to base my decision on which company/industry will give me relevant experience I can use in the US?

The first company is the main telecomms company in Australia (where I'm from), where I'll be with the Wireless Network Engineering group, in the Radio Network team, where they are working on 4GX. There is no guarantee of continuing work with them after I'm done. They'll be using a program that I'm not familiar with (it's industry standard, used for designing wireless networks, called Atoll).

The second company is an RF specific company that focuses on antenna, filter, and PCB design. They haven't specifically told me what I'll be working on with them, however I know how to use 2 industry standard programs that they also use (CST and Altium. I've used these through university courses). There *might* be the possibility of staying on with them after I'm done.

I'm unsure which to go with in terms of what I'll get out of it experience wise, and how much I can develop my skills set. I'm leaning towards the second company, just because they offer the kind of things I want to get involved with. However the first company is just as appealing, and I like the idea of getting into the wireless industry, though there is no possibility of staying on with them, and I was already rejected from the grad application they had.

Physics news on Phys.org
deki said:
on antenna, filter, and PCB design

I was an RF engineer for Cisco Systems in the US from 1995-2002. These are the skills that matter more and endure longer.

Networking protocols and implementation details will change 10 or more times over the course of your career and will also vary with geographical location.

Fundamentals of antenna, filter, and PCB design won't change and will serve you well in the long term.

That's a good point. Thanks for your response Dr Courtney.

1. What factors should I consider when choosing an internship?

When choosing an internship, it is important to consider your career goals, the skills and experience you hope to gain, the location and industry of the internship, and the company or organization offering the internship. It is also important to consider the time commitment and any potential financial compensation.

2. How do I know if an internship is the right fit for me?

The best way to determine if an internship is the right fit for you is to do your research. Look into the company or organization offering the internship, read reviews or testimonials from past interns, and consider the job responsibilities and tasks involved in the internship. You should also consider your own interests, skills, and values to determine if the internship aligns with your goals.

3. Should I prioritize paid internships over unpaid internships?

While paid internships can provide financial compensation, unpaid internships can offer valuable experience and opportunities for networking. It ultimately depends on your personal circumstances and priorities. If you can afford to take an unpaid internship and believe it will provide valuable experience, it may be worth considering.

4. How important is the reputation of the company or organization offering the internship?

The reputation of the company or organization offering the internship can be important, as it can impact the perception of the experience on your resume and potential future job opportunities. However, it is not the only factor to consider. You should also consider the job responsibilities and tasks involved in the internship, as well as the potential for networking and skill development.

5. How can I make the most out of my internship experience?

To make the most out of your internship experience, it is important to set goals and communicate them with your supervisor. Take initiative, ask questions, and seek out opportunities to learn and contribute. Network with your colleagues and make connections for potential future job opportunities. And most importantly, reflect on your experience and the skills and knowledge you have gained.