Which is a Chord of a Hyperbola? AB or PQ?

In summary, a chord of a hyperbola is any line segment joining two points on the hyperbola, whether they are on the same branch or different branches. The term "focal chord" is not commonly used and there may not be a general agreement on its definition. Some sources consider it to be an "infinite" line segment, while others consider it to be a "short" line segment. There may be books that discuss "chords of hyperbola" but it is not a widely covered topic.
zorro

Homework Statement

In the attached figure, which one is a chord of the hyperbola?
is it AB or PQ?

I am confused between both.
If AB passes through the focus perpendicular to the axis, it is called latus rectum which is a focal chord.
But in some figures I saw PQ as a chord.
Please explain me by defining chord of a hyperbola.

Attachments

• hyperbola.jpg
    hyperbola.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 1,061
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Abdul! :smile:

I don't think the term "focal chord" is in general use (wikipedia doesn't even mention chords in its hyperbola article).

I'd say that a focal chord is any line segment joining two points on the hyperbola,

but technically when the two points are on different branches, I'd say that it's the "infinite" line segment, that goes off to infinity in both directions, rather than the short one.

Think of the hyperbola as being a mirror … the reflection of any "short" focal chord would then be an "infinite" focal chord. :wink:

so a chord can be a 'line segment' joining any two points on the same branch of a hyperbola as well as on different branches ( in my figure both AB and PQ can be called as chords). Is it right?

Abdul Quadeer said:
so a chord can be a 'line segment' joining any two points on the same branch of a hyperbola as well as on different branches ( in my figure both AB and PQ can be called as chords). Is it right?

That's my opinion o:), but I don't know whether there's general agreement on it. :confused:

Is there any book which has 'Chords of Hyperbola' topic in it?, so that we can arrive at a valid conclusion.

I've no idea.

If you like, you can try a google book-search for "chord of a hyperbola" (do include the " and ") … that's by clicking "more" at the top of an ordinary google search. :wink:

1. What is a chord of a hyperbola?

A chord of a hyperbola is a line segment that connects two points on the hyperbola. It can be drawn within the hyperbola or intersecting it at two points.

2. How do you determine which is a chord of a hyperbola, AB or PQ?

To determine which is a chord of a hyperbola, you need to know the equation of the hyperbola and the coordinates of the points A, B, P, and Q. Then, substitute the coordinates into the equation to see if they satisfy it. If they do, then the line connecting those points is a chord of the hyperbola.

3. Can AB and PQ both be chords of a hyperbola?

Yes, it is possible for both AB and PQ to be chords of a hyperbola. This can happen if the points A, B, P, and Q all lie on the hyperbola and the line connecting them intersects the hyperbola at two distinct points.

4. How many chords can a hyperbola have?

A hyperbola can have an infinite number of chords. This is because there are an infinite number of points on a hyperbola, and any two of these points can be connected to form a chord.

5. Are all chords of a hyperbola equal in length?

No, not all chords of a hyperbola are equal in length. The length of a chord depends on the locations of the two points it connects. Only the axes of symmetry of a hyperbola have chords that are equal in length.