Rectangular hyperbola, chord, origin

In summary, the author is trying to prove that if two points are on the same branch of a hyperbola, then a chord connecting the points passes through the origin. However, the author is having difficulty with (a), which is proving that if two points are on different branches of the hyperbola, then the chord connecting the points is perpendicular to the tangent at the point where the branches intersect.
Appleton

Homework Statement

Prove that the chord joining the points P(cp, c/p) and Q(cq, c/q) on the rectangular hyperbola xy = c^2 has the equation

x + pqy = c(p + q)

The points P, Q, R are given on the rectangular hyperbola xy = c^2 . prove that

(a) if PQ and PR are equally inclined to the axes of coordinates, then QR passes through the origin O.

(b) if angle QPR is a right angle, then QR is perpendicular to the tangent at P

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can prove the equation of the chord joining the 2 points, but I am having difficulty with (a).

What does "inclined to the axes of coordinates" mean?

If I interpret 2 lines "inclined to the axes of coordinates" to mean to 2 parallel lines I am unable to envisage 2 such lines where R and Q are not coincident so I think my interpretation is wrong.

Also would the case where Q and R are coincident not reveal a counter example or does the wording of the question imply that the points are unique?

Physics news on Phys.org
Appleton said:

Homework Statement

Prove that the chord joining the points P(cp, c/p) and Q(cq, c/q) on the rectangular hyperbola xy = c^2 has the equation

x + pqy = c(p + q)

The points P, Q, R are given on the rectangular hyperbola xy = c^2 . prove that

(a) if PQ and PR are equally inclined to the axes of coordinates, then QR passes through the origin O.

(b) if angle QPR is a right angle, then QR is perpendicular to the tangent at P
Does the problem include a graph or picture? From the given information, the point P and Q are on one branch of the hyperbola, and it would seem that R is a point on the other branch.
Appleton said:

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can prove the equation of the chord joining the 2 points, but I am having difficulty with (a).

What does "inclined to the axes of coordinates" mean?
I'm not sure, but what I think it means is this: PR makes an angle with the y-axis and PQ makes an angle with the x-axis (or possibly the other way around -- what I've described is consistent with the picture I drew). The phrase "inclined to the axes of coordinates" means that the two angles I described are equal, but I'm not certain of that. In any case, this seems to me to be an odd way to describe things.

Appleton said:
If I interpret 2 lines "inclined to the axes of coordinates" to mean to 2 parallel lines I am unable to envisage 2 such lines where R and Q are not coincident so I think my interpretation is wrong.

Also would the case where Q and R are coincident not reveal a counter example or does the wording of the question imply that the points are unique?
My reading of the problem is that Q and R are on different branches, otherwise the segment QR couldn't go through the origin.

Thanks for your reply Mark44. Sorry for my delay. Is your interpretation of 2 lines "equally inclined to the axes of coordinates" equivalent to saying that the lines are perpendicular?

Appleton said:
Thanks for your reply Mark44. Sorry for my delay. Is your interpretation of 2 lines "equally inclined to the axes of coordinates" equivalent to saying that the lines are perpendicular?
That's not what I was thinking, but it could be true. I would have to see a picture with the angles labelled to make sure, and might be able to use ordinary geometry to prove this. Again, because of the wording of the problem, I'm not sure exactly what the author of the problem is saying.

1. What is a rectangular hyperbola?

A rectangular hyperbola is a type of hyperbola in which the asymptotes are perpendicular to each other and the distance between them is equal to the distance from the origin to the center of the hyperbola.

2. How does a chord relate to a rectangular hyperbola?

A chord is a line segment that connects two points on a curve. In a rectangular hyperbola, any chord passing through the center of the hyperbola is bisected by the origin.

3. What is the significance of the origin in a rectangular hyperbola?

The origin is an important point in a rectangular hyperbola as it is the center of the hyperbola and is also used to measure the distance between the asymptotes and the vertices.

4. How is the equation of a rectangular hyperbola derived?

The equation of a rectangular hyperbola is derived by taking the general equation of a hyperbola and setting the coefficients of x^2 and y^2 equal to each other, resulting in a simplified equation of the form x^2 - y^2 = k, where k is a constant.

5. What are some real-world applications of rectangular hyperbolas?

Rectangular hyperbolas have many practical uses, such as in the design of parabolic reflectors for satellite dishes and in the construction of suspension bridges. They are also used in optics and astronomy to describe the shapes of certain types of lenses and orbits of celestial bodies.