Hyperbola and the Line in the Cartesian coords.

In summary: It is a theorem in calculus that states that two functions intersect if and only if their intermediate values are equal.
frostysh

Homework Statement

We have the hyperbola, the focal stuff of which is on the Abscissa axis. $$x^2 - 2y^2 = 4 $$, and we have a line $$3x - 4y = 2$$, and we need to understand if this two crazy stuff will intersect, or be tangent, or nothing like the previous one.

Homework Equations

I don't clearly understand what is means "Relevant Equations".

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, first time I have made a mistake with a signs. In general, solution is next - we trying to find the points that belongs to each crazy stuff simultaneously, it's means this points a roots of the two equations in the same time.

33_18_Hyperbola_Line_wrong1.gif

I have made another few attempts, and in the one attempt, I have tried to change the order of the equations, and try to find a roots of Hyperbola, and then put it to the Line geometric-algebraic model.

33_18_Hyperbola_Line_wrong2.gif

Despite, and at least, when I have typing a request to this forum, I have found the true solution that fits with a book' answer.

33_18_Hyperbola_Line_true.gif

so the question why despite of my few mistakes some wrong solutions satisfying the one of the equations in the each case?!

Thanx.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Ooooops. My lot of pardons, I have realized why some wrong solution is satisfying some particular equations, that because in the first attempt $$x \in (- \infty , + \infty)$$, same as $$y \in (- \infty , + \infty)$$, and I have made mistake only in the equation of the Hyperbola, so if we going to put any number in the equation of the Line, and then with no mistake find the another coord. variable - we will obtain the right answer.
And in the second attempt, despite it's attempt was in the first coord. angle, due to avoiding less than zero values inside of the square root, we can say the same as we said about the Line equation. :) Me happy ^^.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Everything in your images could be done in text using LaTeX. We have a tutorial here -- https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/. You must be somewhat familiar with it, since the first two equations are done using it.
Some helpers won't respond if all work is shown as an image, as some handwritten work is difficult to read due to bad lighting of photographed images, or illegible writing. Some images we've seen have been posted sideways or upside-down. A major problem with large amounts of work posted as an image is that we can't insert a comment into an image at the point where an error is located. Instead, we have to include extra information about the region we're talking about.

Hey, thanks for the answer, and for' the advises. I just don't like LATEX, it's making me headaches ^:/. Well, in this particular case, I think my images is good enough, at least I can understand what is inscribed there :P. Sec, I will fix the last two LATEX stuff according to the guide.

frostysh said:
Hey, thanks for the answer, and for' the advises. I just don't like LATEX, it's making me headaches ^:/. Well, in this particular case, I think my images is good enough, at least I can understand what is inscribed there :P. Sec, I will fix the last two LATEX stuff according to the guide.

You literally include everything in the post which is a waste of everyone's time. You should skip the parts where you do basic algebra and rather focus on main lines.

I don't get the question properly but I think using IVT would be sufficient to prove that those two intersect.

Nay, I am disagree, actually during a posting this "basic algebra" stuff I have found ma' mistake, so it was a very useful, at least for frostysh :P.
What is "IVT"? Nevermind, I will use a service of the allmighty GOOGLE :).

frostysh said:
What is "IVT"?
Intermediate Value Theorem

1. What is a hyperbola?

A hyperbola is a type of conic section, which is a curve created by intersecting a plane with a cone. It is defined as the set of all points in a plane that are equidistant from a fixed point (called the focus) and a fixed line (called the directrix).

2. How is a hyperbola graphed in Cartesian coordinates?

A hyperbola in Cartesian coordinates is graphed by plotting the coordinates of its vertices, center, and asymptotes. The vertices are located at a distance of the hyperbola's semi-major axis from the center, and the asymptotes pass through the center and are parallel to the hyperbola's conjugate axis.

3. What is the relationship between a hyperbola and a line in Cartesian coordinates?

A hyperbola and a line in Cartesian coordinates intersect at two points, which are the solutions to the system of equations formed by the equations of the hyperbola and the line. This intersection is used to graph the hyperbola and the line on the same coordinate plane.

4. How do the coefficients of the equations of a hyperbola and a line affect their graphs in Cartesian coordinates?

The coefficients of the equations of a hyperbola and a line determine the shape, size, and orientation of their graphs in Cartesian coordinates. For example, the coefficients of the hyperbola's equation determine the distance between the focus and the directrix, while the coefficients of the line's equation determine its slope and y-intercept.

5. What are some real-life applications of hyperbolas and lines in Cartesian coordinates?

Hyperbolas and lines in Cartesian coordinates have many practical applications, such as in optics, engineering, and physics. For example, hyperbolas are used in the design of satellite dishes and mirrors, while lines are used to represent electric fields and trajectories of objects in motion.