Which is the best book for studying Rotational mechanics?

In summary: That is a good book. However, I would recommend looking for a more modern textbook that is out of print (2004 but I see the 2016 is alerady out of print) Young and Freedman: University physics Ch 9 and 10 (about 80 pages too).Thanks for your help.
NTesla
Homework Statement:: Which is the best book that you've read for understanding rotational mechanics ?
Relevant Equations:: Kindly let me know.

Physics news on Phys.org
You make it hard to help if you don't mention a level. Introductory, undergrad, worse ?

I had (long ago 😁 )
R. J. Stephenson: Mechanics and properties of matter Ch 6 (about 80 pages) and
L. E. Goodman: Dynamics, Ch 6 and 7 and appendix II (a lot more; gyroscopes etc)

[edit]
From your other posts I gather introductory. What about a more modern (2004 😁 but I see the 2016 is aleraddy out of print) Young and Freedman: University physics Ch 9 and 10 (about 80 pages too).

Best: go to a university library and find a mechanics textbook (with lots of exercises :smile:) to your liking

Last edited:
Likes NTesla
BvU said:
You make it hard to help if you don't mention a level. Introductory, undergrad, worse ?

I had
R. J. Stephenson: Mechanics and properties of matter Ch 6 (about 80 pages) and
L. E. Goodman: Dynamics, Ch 6 and 7 and appendix II (a lot more)
Thanks for your help.
You are right. I should have mentioned it. I was asking for the best book for understanding rotational mechanics for undergraduate entrance exams like IITJEE in India.

Not familiar with the requirements but I expect the curriculum is well described and there must be lots of suitable problem sets around.

again: prepare to also visit a teacher (lector, prof) at the university if you go there anyway :smile:

Likes vanhees71 and Hamiltonian
I suppose you already googled things like this ? E-mail the author !
So there is a syllabus and a whole cottage industry -- use them !

Likes Hamiltonian
BvU said:
I suppose you already googled things like this ? E-mail the author !
So there is a syllabus and a whole cottage industry -- use them !
I was hoping for a book dedicated to understanding rotational mechanics for undergraduate level.

I would be surprised if your hope can be fulfilled:
At undergraduate level the introduction of rotation is often done by showing analogies with linear motion. So as a an extension of a chapter.
Specifics are taking a back seat (more math needed, complexity, etc.).

I have not heard of an undergraduate lecture subject 'rotational mechanics'. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist somewhere, but the market must be marginal.

NTesla said:
Thanks for your help.
You are right. I should have mentioned it. I was asking for the best book for understanding rotational mechanics for undergraduate entrance exams like IITJEE in India.
understand the concepts from "HCV"(concepts of physics by HC Verma) and NCERT for JEE type questions do either mechanics 2 by DC Pandey or BM Sharma and then finally to gain absolute mastery go to books like "problems in general physics" by IE Irodov or "500 selected problems in physics for JEE mains and advance" by DC pandey and obviously questions from past papers are a must. as stated by @BvU there are plenty of sources to learn rotational mechanics mostly there are few books dedicated only on the topic but I think there is one by S.L Loney.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes NTesla and berkeman
BvU said:
go to a university library and find a mechanics textbook (with lots of exercises :smile:) to your liking
Might be a little hard with Covid and all.

Likes NTesla and Delta2
sahilmm15 said:
How is this https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1FouWRaa5Z-EcYutVuaEwb7z-psq0Gtav ?? Open it and go to the section of Rotational Motion.
Allen's(or almost any coaching for that matter) material is good in the sense they usually take theory/questions, from various relevant books so as to save you some time and money. But personally, I feel studying from a proper book is always better.

Likes vanhees71 and NTesla

1. What is rotational mechanics?

Rotational mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion and forces of objects that are rotating or moving in a circular path.

2. Why is it important to study rotational mechanics?

Studying rotational mechanics helps us understand the behavior and movement of objects in our everyday lives, such as wheels, gears, and planets. It also has practical applications in engineering and technology.

3. How do I choose the best book for studying rotational mechanics?

When choosing a book for studying rotational mechanics, it's important to consider the author's credentials, the level of detail and examples provided, and if it aligns with your learning style and goals. It's also helpful to read reviews and ask for recommendations from experts in the field.

4. Can I learn rotational mechanics from online resources instead of a book?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning rotational mechanics, such as video lectures, interactive simulations, and practice problems. However, a comprehensive textbook can provide a more structured and thorough understanding of the subject.

5. What are some recommended books for studying rotational mechanics?

Some popular books for studying rotational mechanics include "Introduction to Classical Mechanics" by David Morin, "Classical Mechanics" by John R. Taylor, and "Mechanics" by Keith R. Symon. It's also helpful to consult with your instructor or peers for their recommendations.