Which laptop? Dell XPS 13 vs MBP 13

In summary, the individual has had their current MBP for 7 years and is now looking to purchase a new laptop with their FAFSA money. They are considering the Dell XPS 13 and the MBP 13, and have done research through YouTube reviews. The specs of both laptops are listed and the individual mentions their preference for a Unix based machine due to their experience as a programmer. They also mention the higher cost of Apple products and the fact that they charge $200 more than their competitors. They appreciate the straightforwardness of OSX but have heard that Windows has more customization options. They also mention the possibility of getting more for less with PC laptops but are hesitant due to potential glitches and loud fans. The individual acknowledges that they
DS2C
I've had this MBP for 7 years now and it's done everything I could've asked of it.
Things are starting to slow down now though, and small tasks are taking a good amount of time. I figured with my FAFSA money I would get a new laptop.

I'm looking at the Dell XPS 13 and the MBP 13. I've been doing a good amount of research on them, mainly YouTube reviews. It's hard to come to a conclusion, though. Half the videos say MBP is better, and half say the Dell is better. Was wondering if you guys could give me some input.

Macbook Pro 13" (no touchbar) Specs:
2.3GHz dual-core 7th-generation Intel Core i5 processor
Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHZ
8GB 2133MHz LPDDR3 memory
256GB SSD storage
Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640
Two Thunderbolt 3 ports
$1,500Dell XPS 13 (no touchscreen) Specs:
8th Generation Intel Core i7-8550U Processor
Windows 10 Home 64 bit English
8GB LPDDR3 1866MHz
256GB PCle SSD
$1,300

Computer science news on Phys.org
Personally I’d go with the mbp because it’s a Unix based machine. I used windows for many years and was alway somewhat dissatisfied with it as a programmer. I found I was always trying to configure it to look more like Unix even to the point of installing the MKS toolkit and finally dumping windows for Ubuntu Linux.

Hardware wise they look pretty comparable. You know Apple always charges $200 or so more than its competitions because they can.

Likes DS2C
jedishrfu said:
Personally I’d go with the mbp because it’s a Unix based machine. I used windows for many years and was alway somewhat dissatisfied with it as a programmer. I found I was always trying to configure it to look more like Unix even to the point of installing the MKS toolkit and finally dumping windows for Ubuntu Linux.

Hardware wise they look pretty comparable. You know Apple always charges $200 or so more than its competitions because they can.
That's all great information, thank you.

I do like the fact that OSX is very straight forward to use, although I've heard that Windows has more customization options.

From what I've come across, you can get "more for less" when buying PC laptops such as Dell, Asus, etc. However in all of the videos I've seen, a base model MBP which had lower ratings performed just as well if not better than some maxed out models of other brands. There's also the small things like glitching, and loud annoying fans on high end models such as the XPS.

I do think it will take some getting used to with the lack of ports on the MBP. My current one has 2 USB ports, ethernet (old), memory card slot, dvd drive and some others I don't know what they actually do.

As far as build quality, I don't think anyone can argue against the MBP. I wouldn't mind shelling out an extra $200 for how nice they are. And mine is 7 years old and I haven't needed to take it in once.

1. What are the main differences between the Dell XPS 13 and the MacBook Pro 13?

The Dell XPS 13 and the MacBook Pro 13 are both high-quality laptops, but there are a few key differences between them. The Dell XPS 13 typically has a lower starting price compared to the MacBook Pro 13. The XPS 13 also tends to have a longer battery life and a larger display size. On the other hand, the MacBook Pro 13 often has a more powerful processor and a sleeker design.

2. Which laptop has better graphics performance?

In general, the MacBook Pro 13 has better graphics performance than the Dell XPS 13. This is because the MacBook Pro 13 typically has a dedicated graphics card, while the XPS 13 relies on integrated graphics. However, if you are not a heavy user of graphics-intensive programs, the difference may not be significant for your needs.

3. Is the Dell XPS 13 or the MacBook Pro 13 better for gaming?

Neither the Dell XPS 13 nor the MacBook Pro 13 are designed specifically for gaming. However, if you are looking for a laptop that can handle some light gaming, the Dell XPS 13 may be a better choice due to its more powerful processor and longer battery life. The MacBook Pro 13 may struggle with more intensive games due to its integrated graphics and shorter battery life.

4. Which laptop is more durable?

Both the Dell XPS 13 and the MacBook Pro 13 are well-built and durable laptops. However, the MacBook Pro 13 may have a slight edge in durability due to its aluminum body and overall sleeker design. The XPS 13 also has a sturdy build and is designed to withstand daily use, but some users have reported issues with the trackpad and hinges over time.

5. Which laptop has better customer support?

This is a difficult question to answer definitively, as customer support experiences can vary greatly. In general, both Dell and Apple have good customer support for their laptops. Dell offers a longer warranty period (up to 4 years) for the XPS 13 compared to Apple's standard 1-year warranty for the MacBook Pro 13. However, Apple is known for their excellent customer service and support, and their AppleCare+ extended warranty program may be worth considering for peace of mind.