Which Master's program is a good choice?

In summary: Then, there is control systems which comes under Program 1. I'm looking for a program who would be in good demand in future and has diverse scope۔ Also, importantly I'm looking for something which is more along the lines physics and mathematics. For someone who is not very familiar with these areas, it would be a good idea to look into a program which has a greater focus on these subjects. MS in Computer Engineering, MS in Microelectronic Design, MS in Control Systems, MS in Computer Architecture and Digital DesignAre you going to tell us what country this is about? Or should we guess?Are you going to tell us what country this is about? Or should we guess?
PainterGuy
Hi,

Between the choices given below, which one is going to be more in demand and helpful in landing a good job. My general impression is that MS in Computer Engineering or MS in Electronic Design are good but you could only aim to be hired by selective companies. On the other hand, MS in Control Systems is more general and you could be hired by many different companies. I'd really appreciate if you could guide me. Thank you.

MS in Computer Engineering, MS in Microelectronic Design, MS in Control Systems, MS in Computer Architecture and Digital Design

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you going to tell us what country this is about? Or should we guess?

Vanadium 50 said:
Are you going to tell us what country this is about? Or should we guess?

I'm sorry. I had USA in mind.

The majors you list are pretty general and generic, IMO. You can choose specialties under each of those majors that will make a big difference in what kinds of jobs you can apply for and what the pool of other applicants is like (how many, how specialized, etc.).

Just a few comments:
  • MS in Computer Engineering -- Too generic, what part(s) of Computer Engineering?
  • MS in Microelectronic Design -- Do you mean like Solid State Physics and IC Design? This is probably the most technical track of these 4 choices, with pretty involved physics and math content.
  • MS in Control Systems -- Probably in good demand because of the robotics and automation markets.
  • MS in Computer Architecture and Digital Design -- Also too generic, what part(s) of Digital Design? Unless you are going to be on a design team building a new supercomputer, learning a lot about Computer Architecture may not be a very marketable skill, IMO.
I would recommend that you look at the more detailed lists of specialties under each of those majors, and then look on the websites of potential employers to see what kinds of positions they are listing and what the required majors & experience are. That may help to give you a better idea of the kinds of things you may want to pursue in undergrad & grad school.

Likes PainterGuy
I have the opposite impression as berkeman. These sound very specialized, especially the last three. Most places would give a degree in MSEE. There may be a formal or informal specialization in one of these areas, but the degree itself would say MSEE. Usually these very specialized degrees come from 3rd or lower tier schools trying to attract students.

My first question would be "is the university going to give me a good education?" before going down one more level and chose a degree.

Likes PainterGuy
berkeman said:
I would recommend that you look at the more detailed lists of specialties under each of those majors

Vanadium 50 said:
My first question would be "is the university going to give me a good education?" before going down one more level and chose a degree.

Agreed but sometimes there might be other factors which play an important role. Some of important factors are: finances, how far your school from your residence, your own previous academic training, requirements for admission.

I think the best thing would be to share the outlines for programs with you. That way you'd be in better position to guide me. Thank you.

PainterGuy said:
. Some of important factors are: finances...

True, but paying money for something that doesn't take you where you want to go is rarely worth the cost.

Likes PainterGuy
Hi,

I'm not sure how to check the standing of a certain school in the US. The tuition fee is reasonable for international students.

The following is from one the schools I have in mind.

Program 1: https://catalog.csus.edu/colleges/e.../ms-in-electrical-and-electronic-engineering/
The program breaks down into following areas:
Control Systems, Communication Systems, Power Systems, Microelectronic Design, Computer Architecture & Digital Design

Program 2: https://catalog.csus.edu/colleges/e...puter-engineering/ms-in-computer-engineering/
The program breaks down into:
Algorithms and Applications, Computer Architecture and Digital Design, Microelectric Design, ...

There are quite a overlap between "Computer Architecture and Digital Design" from both programs. The same goes for "Microelectronic Design" from Program 1 and "Microelectric Design".

I hope you find it helpful to guide me. Thanks.

The overlap is due to the fact that Electrical engineering and computer engineering are both usually (not always, but usually) taught in the same department.

I'd suggest the computer engineering, you get exposure to the EE aspects, while getting a good dose of programming. The Computer engineers I know have the understanding to be able to really optimize the codes they write because they understand the hardware as well as the software.

Likes PainterGuy
Thank you.

But if you see the computer engineering program, Program 2 in post #8, it's split into different specialties. Which speciality would be good?

Then, there is control systems which comes under Program 1. I'm looking for a program who would be in good demand in future and has diverse scope۔ Also, importantly I'm looking for something which is more along the lines physics and mathematics. For example, I didn't like very much like connecting the gates, latches, truth tables from fundamentals of digital design course. I found it a little dry and somewhat more along the lines of cookbook recipe style. But that was just one course!

In my previous post I linked to the programs of one of the schools which I have in mind so that it becomes easier to guide me۔

Thank you!

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a Master's program?

Some important factors to consider when choosing a Master's program include the reputation and ranking of the program, the curriculum and courses offered, the faculty and their research areas, the location and resources of the university, and the potential career opportunities after graduation.

2. How do I determine if a Master's program is a good fit for my career goals?

To determine if a Master's program aligns with your career goals, you should research the program's curriculum and course offerings to see if they cover the necessary skills and knowledge for your desired career path. You can also reach out to alumni or current students to gain insights into their experiences and career outcomes after completing the program.

3. Is it better to choose a specialized or general Master's program?

This depends on your career goals and personal preferences. A specialized Master's program may provide more in-depth knowledge and skills in a specific field, while a general program may offer a broader range of courses and allow for more flexibility in career options. Consider your long-term career goals and what type of program will best prepare you for them.

4. How important is the reputation of a Master's program?

The reputation of a Master's program can be important, as it can impact your job prospects and future opportunities. However, it is not the only factor to consider when choosing a program. It is also important to look at the curriculum, faculty, and resources of the program to ensure it will provide you with the necessary skills and knowledge for your career goals.

5. What resources are available to help me choose a Master's program?

There are several resources available to help you choose a Master's program, such as university websites, rankings and reviews, career centers, and online forums. You can also attend virtual or in-person information sessions and reach out to current students or alumni for their insights and advice.