Which mechanism and which step would best fit the data?

In summary, the conversation discussed two proposed mechanisms and the question of which one and which step would best fit the data as the rate determining step. The conversation also touched on the effect of doubling certain concentrations and how that relates to the rate-determining step. The conversation concluded with a discussion on the rate law and its dependence on different concentrations.
JessicaHelena

Homework Statement

Two mechanisms are proposed (as seen in the screenshot). Which mechanism and which step as the rate determining step would best fit the data?

Homework Equations

I think this is more of a conceptual problem ...

The Attempt at a Solution

I apologise for not strictly following this format, but I am really lost, because the teacher didn't really teach us much about comparing the best-fit mechanisms and steps. How do I compare between the two? Both look equally good to me.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-12-11 at 12.03.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-11 at 12.03.08 PM.png
    31.8 KB · Views: 720
Physics news on Phys.org
Wasn't there any data given? Perhaps in earlier questions?

Oh, I believe it might be this data that they're referring to...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-12-11 at 4.21.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-11 at 4.21.32 PM.png
    15.7 KB · Views: 613
Could anyone help me with this? I do have a test on this tomorrow, and I'd really like some help...

Compare I and II. What is the effect on the rate of doubling [I-] while keeping everything else constant? So how does the rate depend on [I-]?
Compare II and III. What is the effect of doubling [H2O2]?
Compare III and IV. Here you double both [H2O2] and [H+]. But you have already determined the effect of doubling [H2O2]. So what is the effect of doubling [H+]?
Now you know the dependence of the rate on the 3 concentrations, what does that tell you about the rate-determining step?

@mjc123
So from your questions, I can get the rate law, which would be something like
Rate = k*[H_2O_2]*[I^-], and we can plug in any row's data to find k.

However, I'm not sure what this tells me about the rate-determining step...

So if the rate law doesn't involve [H+], does that tell you anything?

@mjc123 So [H^+] would be the intermediate? (Since intermediates are canceled between the steps)

Try working out what the rate law would be in cases A-D.

1. What is the purpose of determining the mechanism and step that best fit the data?

Determining the mechanism and step that best fit the data is important for understanding how a process or reaction occurs. It can provide insights into the underlying chemical or physical principles at work, and help to optimize or improve the process.

2. How do you determine the mechanism and step that best fit the data?

This can be done through a variety of methods, such as kinetic analysis, theoretical calculations, and experimental data. By comparing the observed data to the theoretical predictions, scientists can identify the most likely mechanism and step that fit the data.

3. What factors are considered when determining the mechanism and step?

Some of the key factors that are considered include the rate of the reaction, the order of the reaction, the concentration of reactants, and the presence of any catalysts or inhibitors. Other factors, such as temperature and pressure, may also be taken into account.

4. Can the mechanism and step change depending on the conditions?

Yes, the mechanism and step may vary depending on the specific conditions of the reaction. For example, a different mechanism may be observed at higher temperatures or in the presence of a catalyst. It is important to carefully consider all factors when determining the mechanism and step that best fit the data.

5. What are the potential implications of choosing the wrong mechanism and step?

If the wrong mechanism and step are chosen, it can lead to incorrect conclusions about the process or reaction. This can result in wasted time and resources, as well as potential safety concerns. It is crucial to accurately determine the mechanism and step that best fit the data in order to gain a thorough understanding of the process.