Mechanism and Rate Law of Cl2 Reaction: Find the Answer

In summary: From other questions I've done the rate law for the reaction is always the slow step or rate-determining step. My answer was;k[Cl-][H2S]But the answer is k[Cl2]1/2[H2S]I don't really understand how they got that answer. Any help would be appreciated!
dolpho

Homework Statement

The proposed mechanism for a reaction is

Cl2 => 2 Cl (Fast)

Cl + H2S => HCl + HS (Slow)

Cl + HS => HCl + S (Fast)

Which of the following would be a rate law for the reaction?

The Attempt at a Solution

From other questions I've done the rate law for the reaction is always the slow step or rate-determining step. My answer was;

k[Cl-][H2S]

But the answer is k[Cl2]1/2[H2S]

I don't really understand how they got that answer. Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
dolpho said:

Homework Statement

The proposed mechanism for a reaction is

Cl2 => 2 Cl (Fast)

Cl + H2S => HCl + HS (Slow)

Cl + HS => HCl + S (Fast)

Which of the following would be a rate law for the reaction?

The Attempt at a Solution

From other questions I've done the rate law for the reaction is always the slow step or rate-determining step. My answer was;

k[Cl-][H2S]

But the answer is k[Cl2]1/2[H2S]

I don't really understand how they got that answer. Any help would be appreciated!

And we don't understand how you got yours! :smile:

As you haven't given any reasoning.

However it may help to ask if there is one slow step what can you say in general about the species undergoing fast reactions that precede the first step?

epenguin said:
And we don't understand how you got yours! :smile:

As you haven't given any reasoning.

However it may help to ask if there is one slow step what can you say in general about the species undergoing fast reactions that precede the first step?

Well I've been reading a bunch of stuff that just says that the rate determining step is the only thing that matters when it comes to the rate law. However I might be missing a piece since I can't really understand why I got the last question wrong. The k[Cl2]1/2[H2S] is really confusing me.

For my answer I just put the atoms present in the slow step. I don't really know if I have to do anything with those atoms like relate them to the fast steps or overall reactions...

Last edited:
dolpho said:
For my answer I just put the atoms present in the slow step. I don't really know if I have to do anything with those atoms like relate them to the fast steps or overall reactions...

I didn't see you had done that, because for not having written any reasoning or derivation I took the [Cl-] to be a mistyping for [Cl2]. There is no Cl- or Cl- appearing anywhere in this mechanism, only Cl, chlorine atoms.

So I will take it you meant to write k[Cl][H2S] .

That is OK. But actually chlorine atoms will normally be very few and practically unmeasurable. Practically all the chlorine will be Cl2 although the very small amount of Cl atoms are what drive the reaction. So you have to work out what is the [Cl] to put into the above expression, in terms of the measurable [Cl2]

Try and work that out and if you can't I'm sure there are examples of something similar in the stuff you've read.

Last edited:
For all mechanisms like this, just considering the slow step is not enough.

What you have to do is to think about reactive intermediates -- that is species that are both created and destroyed in the reaction mechanism, and that never build up to particularly high concentrations.

When you manage to find a reactive intermediate, you then apply a steady state approximation to its concentration, and work through some algebra.

(2) The rate equation that you eventually require will be an expression that only involves the reactants.

(3) Cl is not involved in this reaction; it involves chlorine atoms, which are quite different to chloride ions (one electron fewer, and much more reactive)

(4) The reaction scheme that you have written does not give the rate law embodied in the answer. Are you sure that the first step was not Cl2 <==> 2 Cl ? a very important difference!
(In a realistic mechanism for this reaction HS + Cl2 ==> S + HCl + Cl would also figure, but that is not relevant when facing a test question.)

1. What is the mechanism for the reaction between Cl2 and another substance?

The mechanism for the reaction between Cl2 and another substance typically involves a substitution or addition reaction, where Cl2 replaces or adds onto a different molecule. This reaction can occur in various environments, such as in solution or in the gas phase.

2. How can the rate law for the Cl2 reaction be determined?

The rate law for the Cl2 reaction can be determined through experiments that measure the initial rate of the reaction at different concentrations of Cl2 and other reactants. By plotting the initial rates against the concentrations, the order of the reaction with respect to each reactant can be determined, and the rate law can be written as a mathematical expression.

3. What factors can affect the rate of the Cl2 reaction?

The rate of the Cl2 reaction can be affected by various factors, including temperature, concentration of reactants, presence of a catalyst, and the physical state of the reactants (e.g. solid, liquid, gas). Changes in these factors can alter the rate of the reaction by changing the number of collisions between reactant molecules or the energy of these collisions.

4. How does the rate of the Cl2 reaction change over time?

The rate of the Cl2 reaction typically decreases over time as the concentration of reactants decreases. This is because as the reaction progresses, there are fewer reactant molecules available to collide and react with each other. The rate may also change due to changes in temperature or the addition of a catalyst, which can speed up or slow down the reaction.

5. Can the rate of the Cl2 reaction be controlled?

The rate of the Cl2 reaction can be controlled to some extent by changing the conditions of the reaction, such as temperature, reactant concentrations, and the presence of a catalyst. However, the rate of the reaction ultimately depends on the inherent properties of the reactants and their ability to form products. Therefore, the rate can only be controlled within certain limits.