Which Minor Will Make Me More Marketable in Applied Physics?

In summary, the speaker is a student enrolled in the University of Waterloo's Honours Physics Program with a focus on Applied Physics. They are interested in pursuing a career in either research or energy development, and are considering a minor in either chemistry or computing to enhance their marketability. They ultimately choose computing as it is a highly sought-after skill in the job market for applied physics. The speaker also suggests doing research on job requirements for applied physics positions to determine which minor would be most beneficial.
smartdude00111
I am enrolled at the University of Waterloo's Honours Physics Program with a specialization in Applied Physics. In the future I would like to either work as a physicist conducting research or work on developing energy sources like nuclear or solar power. My main options would include a minor in chemistry or computing. I would like to complete a minor to make myself more marketable in the future and was having trouble deciding which minor I should choose.

Physics news on Phys.org
Personally, I would choose Computing as its a skill used everywhere today. Applied Physics jobs will expect you to have the requisite computer skills to do the work and this will come up in job interviews and should be on your resume.

Its harder to make a case for Chemistry and Applied Physics although I'm sure there are jobs where the combination would be helpful. However for those kinds of jobs the employer most likely would hire you for your Applied Physics background and train you onsite for the necessary Chemistry needed for the job.

You can do some research here on available jobs in Applied Physics to see what they are looking for skills-wise:

https://www.aip.org/jobs/profiles/applied-physics-jobs

What are some factors to consider when choosing a minor?

When choosing a minor, it's important to consider your long-term career goals and how a minor can complement your major. You should also think about your interests, strengths, and potential minor options offered by your university.

Will choosing a minor help me in my career?

Choosing a minor can enhance your resume and provide you with a well-rounded education. It can also demonstrate your versatility and ability to specialize in different areas, making you a more attractive candidate to potential employers.

Can I choose a minor that is completely unrelated to my major?

Yes, you can choose a minor that is unrelated to your major. In fact, this can be beneficial as it allows you to explore different subjects and broaden your knowledge and skills.

How many credits do I need for a minor?

The number of credits required for a minor varies depending on your university and the specific minor you choose. Typically, it ranges from 15-18 credits.

Can I change my minor once I have declared it?

Yes, you can change your minor after declaring it. However, keep in mind that this may require you to take additional courses and could potentially delay your graduation. It's important to carefully consider your minor choice before declaring it.