Which of the 2 metals is the magnet

In summary, the conversation discusses using magnets and magnetic objects to attract each other, with the idea of creating a makeshift compass. The participants also consider how to orient the magnet towards the metal object to pick it up. They eventually come to the conclusion that a bar magnet can be oriented towards the metal object to attract it.
Despot
Homework Statement
I have 2 pieces of metal in front of me. One is a magnetic metal and the other one is a magnet. I need to know which of the two pieces is the metal and which is the magnet. They look identical and I can't use anything else apart from the 2 metals.
Relevant Equations
none
No idea where to start

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider different orientations and relative positions in which you might bring them together. What would you expect to observe?

haruspex said:
Consider different orientations and relative positions in which you might bring them together. What would you expect to observe?
They would attract each other. I'm thinking of balancing them both and make some sort of a makeshift compass but think that's a sketchy solution.

Despot said:
They would attract each other.
In the same way, regardless of their relative positions and orientations?

haruspex said:
In the same way, regardless of their relative positions and orientations?
Yes I believe a magnet and a magnetic metal will always attract each other. Am I missing something here?

Despot said:
Yes I believe a magnet and a magnetic metal will always attract each other. Am I missing something here?
I think you are.
Suppose you wanted to pick up a metal object using a magnet. How would you orient the magnet towards the object?

Likes Charles Link
I've thought of rubbing them together to create a temporary magnet but I don't see how that would tell me which one's the permanent.

haruspex said:
I think you are.
Suppose you wanted to pick up a metal object using a magnet. How would you orient the magnet towards the object?
If it was for example a bar magnet I'd orient 1 end to the metal object I was trying to pick up.

haruspex said:
I think you are.
And I just got it, thank you!

Likes hmmm27 and DaveE
Despot said:
And I just got it, thank you!
Quite a nice example of knowing the answer intuitively, but not realising you do.

Likes DaveE, berkeman and gneill

1. Which metals are considered magnetic?

Iron, nickel, cobalt, and some alloys of rare earth metals are considered magnetic.

2. What makes a metal magnetic?

The presence of unpaired electrons in the metal's outermost energy level allows it to create a magnetic field.

3. How can I tell if a metal is magnetic?

You can use a magnet to test if a metal is magnetic. If the metal is attracted to the magnet, it is considered magnetic.

4. Can all metals be turned into magnets?

No, only certain metals have the necessary properties to become magnets. These are typically referred to as ferromagnetic metals.

5. What is the difference between a magnet and a metal that is attracted to a magnet?

A magnet is a material that can create its own magnetic field, while a metal that is attracted to a magnet is simply responding to an external magnetic field.