Which oxide improve the gold adhesion

In summary,You can deposit a layer of chromium in between SiO2 and Au then it will be extremely high adhesive.
armandowww
Hi everybody,
I need to deposit 50 nm of gold on a transparent oxide layer.
I need that this oxide layer would have a refractive index of 2, at the wavelenght 1.5 micron (infrared). I first tried with SiO2 but as many of you know the adhesion is very poor. Then I tried with ZrO2 and it doesn't seem to go better. Finally, Y2O3 seemed to be the best solution.
If some of you have any experience in thin films, do you confirm this behavior?
Have you some suggestion of some other materials?
Many thanks...

Engineering news on Phys.org
I wouldn't expect you'll get a very good adhesion with gold on any oxide. A good interface between an oxide and gold would require some sharing of the metal sublattice, and as gold is one of those super-annoying noble metals, I can't see you getting a very good bond.

I may have and idea, but no guarantees. I'm not exactly sure what you are doing, but like you, in my experience, gold won't stick to silicon. I'm not doing anything with optics, so we found that if we replace the target in our magnetron sputtering with copper (basically a piece of sheet metal from a roofing store), we can sputter thin films of copper on silicon that seem to be adhesive (not tested the strength of the bond, but it works, which is good enough for me). When you heat up a silicon substrate with a thin film of copper, the film does not peel and crack, like gold (though it does oxidize). I've found copper oxidizes fairly easily (in fact, we often deposit copper oxide if the chamber is not well evacuated of oxygen). So to get around that, we deposit gold on top of it again. Sounds like what you need. What I don't know is whether or not copper absorbs at 1.5um. But in terms of adhesion, I think it should work.

armandowww said:
Hi everybody,
I need to deposit 50 nm of gold on a transparent oxide layer.
I need that this oxide layer would have a refractive index of 2, at the wavelenght 1.5 micron (infrared). I first tried with SiO2 but as many of you know the adhesion is very poor. Then I tried with ZrO2 and it doesn't seem to go better. Finally, Y2O3 seemed to be the best solution.
If some of you have any experience in thin films, do you confirm this behavior?
Have you some suggestion of some other materials?
Many thanks...
Dear
You can deposit a layer of chromium in between SiO2 and Au then it will be extremely high adhesive. It passes all the tastes even scratch and soldering tastes also. if you need less adhesion you can deposit nickel also in between SiO2 and Au.

I would like to provide some insights on this topic. Firstly, the choice of oxide layer for improving gold adhesion depends on several factors such as the substrate material, deposition technique, and the desired properties of the final film.

In this case, the requirement of a high refractive index of 2 at a specific wavelength of 1.5 microns (infrared) narrows down the options for suitable oxides. It is important to note that the refractive index of an oxide layer can vary depending on its thickness and the deposition method used.

Based on the information provided, it seems Y2O3 has shown the best adhesion for the gold deposition. This could be due to its high refractive index and good compatibility with gold. However, it is always recommended to perform a thorough characterization of the film to confirm its properties and suitability for the desired application.

Other potential oxides that could be considered are TiO2, HfO2, and Ta2O5. These oxides have high refractive indices and have been used in various applications such as anti-reflective coatings, optical filters, and waveguides. However, it is essential to keep in mind that the adhesion of the oxide layer also depends on the substrate and the deposition conditions.

In conclusion, Y2O3 seems to be a promising choice for improving gold adhesion in this case. However, further experimentation and characterization are necessary to confirm its effectiveness. Other oxides with high refractive indices could also be considered, but the final choice should be based on a thorough understanding of the specific requirements and properties of the system.

1. What are the most common oxides used for improving gold adhesion?

The most commonly used oxides for improving gold adhesion are titanium oxide, chromium oxide, and tantalum oxide.

2. How do these oxides improve gold adhesion?

These oxides act as a bonding layer between the gold and the substrate, providing a strong adhesion due to their chemical and physical properties.

3. Are there any other benefits of using these oxides for gold adhesion?

In addition to improving adhesion, these oxides can also enhance the durability and corrosion resistance of the gold layer.

4. Is there a specific process for applying these oxides to improve gold adhesion?

The process for applying these oxides may vary depending on the specific oxide and substrate being used. It typically involves a deposition technique such as sputtering or chemical vapor deposition.

5. Can these oxides be used for other types of metal adhesion?

Yes, these oxides can also be used for improving adhesion of other metals such as silver, platinum, and palladium.