Which Professors Should Write My Grad School Recommendation Letters?

In summary, it would be wise to prioritize the math professor and consider the philosophy professor as a potential second option for a letter of recommendation for your graduate school application in math.
Dougggggg
I'm worried about not havin the strongest sources of letters when I am applying to graduate school. I'm wanting to apply in math. I have one math prof that I know can write me a strong one. We have such a small department though, just 3 profs. One professor is so spastic and odd that I'm not sure of what he thinks about me at all or if he would even tell me that he couldn't write me a strong letter. The last one sees me as a bit lazy at times. This was my fault though, during her stats class, it was obvious how little interest I had. In the physic's department one professor would have been great at one point... However he has all but disowned me as a student since I decided I want to pursue math at the graduate level thus not taking on extra research classes in physics in exchange for directed study courses in math. The only other prof in the department has yet to get strong results from me. In fact, he has the worst grades for all the physic's majors. Including one who got accepted to the University of Maryland in College Park with a research assistant position first year on campus. The only one I have left is a philosophy professor that could write me a great one, but I'm not sure how good that looks to a grad school for math. From what I described, what professors sound like the most attractive candidates for letters? At this point I only got one for sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
Given the information you have provided, it may be best to focus on the math professor that you know can write a strong letter. This way, you can ensure that your grad school application will include a letter from someone who knows your academic strengths and can vouch for them. Depending on the strength of your other application materials, it may also be beneficial to reach out to the philosophy professor for a letter of recommendation. They may be able to provide insight into your ability to think critically and analytically, which could be helpful in a math program. Ultimately, it is important to consider all of your options and choose the professor that can provide the most relevant and positive letter of recommendation for your application.

Related to Which Professors Should Write My Grad School Recommendation Letters?

1. What is a letter of recommendation?

A letter of recommendation is a document written by someone who has personal or professional knowledge of your character, skills, and achievements. It is typically used to support an application for a job, scholarship, or admission to a school or program.

2. Who should I ask to write a letter of recommendation?

You should ask someone who knows you well and can provide a positive and detailed account of your abilities and accomplishments. This can be a professor, supervisor, mentor, or someone you have worked closely with in a professional setting.

3. How do I request a letter of recommendation?

You should request a letter of recommendation in person or through email, providing details about the purpose of the letter, the deadline, and any specific requirements. It is important to give the person enough time to write a strong letter, so make sure to ask at least a few weeks in advance.

4. Can I see the letter of recommendation before it is submitted?

It is generally not appropriate to ask to see the letter before it is submitted. The person writing the letter is responsible for its content and may not feel comfortable sharing it with you. However, you can provide them with relevant information or materials that may help them write a more personalized and effective letter.

5. Are letters of recommendation important?

Yes, letters of recommendation can be a crucial part of an application process. They provide insight into your character and abilities from a third-party perspective, which can give a better understanding of your potential. Strong letters of recommendation can greatly improve your chances of getting accepted or hired.