Which PVC to choose for polymer nanocomposite?

In summary, when choosing a PVC for polymer nanocomposite fabrication, factors such as molecular weight, ease of processing, and compatibility with nanofillers should be considered. It is also important to clarify whether the PVC comes with plasticizer already added or if it needs to be added separately. Some potential UK based companies for PVC include Ineos Vinyls, Solvay, and Arkema. Conducting additional research and consulting with experts can also aid in making an informed decision.
sherry786
Which PVC to choose for polymer nanocomposite?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I’m a final year Mehcanical engineering student. For my individual project, I have to fabricate PVC based nanocomposite using nanosilica. I haven’t been provided with any PVC as such and I need to decide which PVC to use. And then ofcourse I need to find out the compnies providing the PVC that I’m interested in.
So for those people who know about polymer nanocomposites or PVC nanocomposites, do you have any suggestions for which PVC to go for? I’ve come across different grades of PVC in the journal articles like:
PVC Neralit K=65
PVC K=66 (molecular weight 50,500)
PVC S60 (molecular weight 50,000)
PVC SH 7020 (K=70)
PVC WS-800.
Some of the things I considered important in deciding which PVC to gor for are ease of processing (low molecular weight), ease of miscibility with nanofiller etc. The propblem is that these thigns are hard to google or find in jounral articles (since PVC isn't much researched as yet) and I don;t know much about these different grades myself.

Also, do chemical companies provide PVC with plasticizer added as well or do they simply provide PVC and I’ll have to buy and add the plasticizer myself (which looking at the journals looks quite a daunting task)?
Which are some of the good UK based companies providing PVC?.

Thanks in advance,
Sherry

Engineering news on Phys.org

I would recommend conducting some additional research on PVC and polymer nanocomposites in order to make an informed decision on which PVC to use for your project. Some factors to consider when choosing a PVC for nanocomposite fabrication include the molecular weight, ease of processing, and compatibility with the nanofiller.

In terms of molecular weight, a lower molecular weight PVC may be easier to process and mix with the nanofiller. However, it is important to also consider the overall strength and properties of the final nanocomposite, so a balance must be struck between ease of processing and desired properties.

In regards to miscibility with the nanofiller, it may be beneficial to choose a PVC grade that has been specifically designed for use in nanocomposites. These types of PVC grades may have been modified to improve compatibility with nanofillers and enhance the overall performance of the nanocomposite.

As for finding companies that provide PVC for your project, I recommend reaching out to chemical companies directly and inquiring about their PVC offerings and compatibility with nanofillers. Some companies may also provide PVC with plasticizer already added, while others may require you to add it yourself. It is important to clarify this with the company before making a purchase.

In terms of UK based companies, some potential options could be Ineos Vinyls, Solvay, and Arkema. However, it is always best to do your own research and compare different companies to find the best fit for your project.

Overall, it is important to carefully consider and evaluate all factors when choosing a PVC for your polymer nanocomposite project. I also recommend consulting with your project advisor or reaching out to other experts in the field for additional guidance. Good luck with your project!

1. What is PVC and why is it used in polymer nanocomposites?

PVC stands for polyvinyl chloride, which is a type of synthetic polymer commonly used in various applications due to its versatility, durability, and low cost. In polymer nanocomposites, PVC is often used as a matrix material to improve the mechanical, thermal, and barrier properties of the composite.

2. How do I determine which type of PVC to use for my polymer nanocomposite?

The type of PVC to use for a polymer nanocomposite depends on the specific properties required for the application. Some factors to consider include the molecular weight, degree of polymerization, and any functional groups present. It is important to consult with experts and conduct thorough testing to determine the most suitable PVC for your specific needs.

3. What are the advantages of using PVC in polymer nanocomposites?

PVC offers several advantages in polymer nanocomposites, including improved mechanical strength, thermal stability, and barrier properties. It is also relatively low cost and widely available, making it a popular choice for various applications. Additionally, PVC can be easily processed and blended with other materials to achieve desired properties.

4. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using PVC in polymer nanocomposites?

While PVC offers many benefits, there are some limitations and drawbacks to consider. One potential concern is the release of toxic chemicals during the processing and disposal of PVC-based materials. Additionally, PVC may not be suitable for certain applications that require high levels of flexibility or chemical resistance.

5. Can PVC be combined with other materials in polymer nanocomposites?

Yes, PVC can be combined with other materials to create polymer nanocomposites with enhanced properties. Some common materials used in combination with PVC include clay nanoparticles, carbon nanotubes, and natural fibers. The choice of materials will depend on the desired properties and the compatibility of the components.

Back