Which reaction will have a negative ∆H value

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of ∆H values and the stability of products in various reactions. The main points are that negative ∆H values indicate a more stable product, reaction D does make sense, ionization always requires energy, and diatomic molecules can be split at high temperatures. The participants also discuss the possible ∆H values for reactions A, B, C, and E, and clarify the concept of ionization.
TT0

Homework Statement

Screen Shot 2016-07-04 at 2.14.39 PM.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Negative ∆H means that the product is more stable. Change from solid to gas requires energy so cancel out A and C. Reaction D doesn't make sense. The products of reaction B and E are more stable than the reactant because there is a full shell so it seems to me both would have a ∆H value. Can someone tell me what am I missing?

Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
Reaction D does make a perfect sense.

Ionization always requires energy.

Likes TT0
I thought chlorine didn't monatomic gases. So are you saying D is the answer? If so, why does it release energy?

Thanks a lot

TT0 said:
I thought chlorine didn't monatomic gases.

Every diatomic molecule can be split (forced to dissociation) at temperatures high enough. It typically requires a lot of energy (hence the need for high temperatures).

Likes TT0
I see, so D has a positive ∆H value.

Would you say both B and E have negative ∆H as the products are more stable?

Cheers!

TT0 said:
Would you say both B and E have negative ∆H as the products are more stable?
Borek said:
Ionization always requires energy.

Likes TT0
So I guess A is the answer then? As it does not ionise. C is sublimation which requires energy. If A is the answer, isn't energy required for a particle to turn into a gas?

Thanks!

E is not ionization.

Likes TT0
I see. I got confused and forgot ionisation does not mean turning into an ion. Thanks a lot

Related to Which reaction will have a negative ∆H value

1. What is a negative ∆H value in a chemical reaction?

A negative ∆H value in a chemical reaction indicates that the reaction is exothermic, meaning it releases heat or energy. This means that the products of the reaction have a lower energy level than the reactants, resulting in a decrease in enthalpy.

2. How is ∆H value determined in a chemical reaction?

∆H, or change in enthalpy, is determined by calculating the difference between the enthalpy of the products and the enthalpy of the reactants. This can be measured experimentally using a calorimeter, or calculated using thermodynamic data.

3. What factors affect the ∆H value of a reaction?

The ∆H value of a reaction can be affected by several factors, including temperature, pressure, concentration of reactants and products, and the presence of a catalyst. Changes in these factors can alter the energy levels of the reactants and products, resulting in a change in the overall ∆H value.

4. Can a reaction have a negative ∆H value and still be spontaneous?

Yes, a reaction can have a negative ∆H value and still be spontaneous. The spontaneity of a reaction is determined by the change in Gibbs free energy (∆G), which takes into account both the enthalpy and entropy changes. A negative ∆H value can be offset by a positive ∆S value, resulting in a negative ∆G value and a spontaneous reaction.

5. Why is it important to know the ∆H value of a reaction?

The ∆H value of a reaction is important because it provides information about the thermodynamic stability of the reaction. A negative ∆H value indicates that the reaction is energetically favorable, while a positive ∆H value indicates that the reaction requires an input of energy to proceed. This information is useful in predicting the direction and spontaneity of a reaction, as well as in designing and optimizing chemical processes.