Should I keep studying engineering or take up physics?

In summary, the speaker is at a crossroads and unsure if they want to continue with their aerospace engineering studies or switch to physics or nano materials. They are drawn to physics because of their love for it in high school and their desire to improve their creative thinking. However, they also recognize the benefits of engineering in providing a broader knowledge and practical application of science. They have a passion for programming and hope to start their own business in the technology field. They are seeking advice and considering the university's physics undergraduate course syllabus. They also express frustration with the current engineering course and their dislike for CAD classes.
kox
I'm at a crossroads and I don't know if I'm going to make the right decision. I took up aerospace engineering this academic year, I passed the first semester and I don't know if I want to continue. I almost made the decision to drop out and take physics or nano materials the next year. If I take nano materials, I can still apply for physics for graduate studies.

I loved physics in high school, but I didn't think seriously about studying it, as it's hard to find a job in the field, at least in my country (high school teacher, stay at uni or if you are very good, there's a national institute of physics). But now, 1 year later I think that job prospects should not make me decide what to do with my life and I don't exclude immigration, as there's not much hi-tech, if at all, hi-tech stuff going on there.

I used to think that engineering was for me, I love programming for instance and I feel I'm very good at it. I'm working on a software project for a year in my spare time and I absolutely love it, but it isn't a thing I would like to do for the rest of my life, I have bigger ambitions Which brings me to a point, maybe I love working on this project that much, because it's my product and my idea I don't think I would like so much working as a programmer for someone. And I think it is the same way I feel about engineering.

The course is also throwing me off a little. Now I see what engineering really is, I absolutely hate CAD classes, we haven't even get to CAD yet, only drawing on papers for now. Correct me if I'm wrong, but now I think that is what engineering is, a lot of designs, drawing (I know it's in a computer program), but it doesn't make it any less boring to me.

Call me a dreamer, but I'd like to start my own business in technology related field later at some point. I just get a feeling that physics is what I need to improve my creative thinking and all the theory of how the world works under the hood could inspire a lot of ideas. And if it wouldn't work out, a job in physics wouldn't be that bad, it seems to me like almost all the cool stuff is done by scientist, rather than engineers, by cool I mean the world-changing stuff.

On the other hand engineering gives a broader knowledge, teaches how to apply the science in practice. I also don't know if I'm going to like physics that much. I heard that it's nothing like in high school, that's a little scary, from my own experience I can tell I liked math at high school and I hated it at university. Some of calculus wasn't that bad, only the practical things interested me, like derivatives and integrals, but there were a lot of things, theorems that were purely theoretical. I also absolutely hated algebra. I just hope it wouldn't have it with physics the same way I had with math. I have mechanics now and I like it, so I guess not.

It's a hard decision for me, but like I said, I'm much more inclined to take up physics, but I don't know what will I feel about it when I actually study it. I just don't want to think 'I should stay at engineering' one year later. I need some advice from people who have experience. Thanks for taking your time to read this.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you really want to know how the world works, take up physics. I would suggest that you take a look at your university physics undergraduate course syllabus.

kox said:
I used to think that engineering was for me, I love programming for instance and I feel I'm very good at it. I'm working on a software project for a year in my spare time and I absolutely love it, but it isn't a thing I would like to do for the rest of my life, I have bigger ambitions Which brings me to a point, maybe I love working on this project that much, because it's my product and my idea I don't think I would like so much working as a programmer for someone. And I think it is the same way I feel about engineering.

The course is also throwing me off a little. Now I see what engineering really is, I absolutely hate CAD classes, we haven't even get to CAD yet, only drawing on papers for now. Correct me if I'm wrong, but now I think that is what engineering is, a lot of designs, drawing (I know it's in a computer program), but it doesn't make it any less boring to me.
How can you hate CAD class when you haven't studied CAD yet? Working on a drawing board is tedious and time-consuming, but after you transition to drawing on a computer, things should move a lot faster. It's like people who write reports out longhand in ink, and then they're introduced to word-processing. You can fix mistakes a lot quicker and you can organize your work a lot faster than cutting and pasting stuff on paper.
Call me a dreamer, but I'd like to start my own business in technology related field later at some point. I just get a feeling that physics is what I need to improve my creative thinking and all the theory of how the world works under the hood could inspire a lot of ideas. And if it wouldn't work out, a job in physics wouldn't be that bad, it seems to me like almost all the cool stuff is done by scientist, rather than engineers, by cool I mean the world-changing stuff.

On the other hand engineering gives a broader knowledge, teaches how to apply the science in practice. I also don't know if I'm going to like physics that much. I heard that it's nothing like in high school, that's a little scary, from my own experience I can tell I liked math at high school and I hated it at university. Some of calculus wasn't that bad, only the practical things interested me, like derivatives and integrals, but there were a lot of things, theorems that were purely theoretical. I also absolutely hated algebra. I just hope it wouldn't have it with physics the same way I had with math. I have mechanics now and I like it, so I guess not.

If you hated algebra and college-level math and purely theoretical stuff, how do you think you're going to like physics, which last I checked, is chock full of algebra, college-level math, and theoretical stuff?

Likes Student100
SteamKing said:
How can you hate CAD class when you haven't studied CAD yet? Working on a drawing board is tedious and time-consuming, but after you transition to drawing on a computer, things should move a lot faster. It's like people who write reports out longhand in ink, and then they're introduced to word-processing. You can fix mistakes a lot quicker and you can organize your work a lot faster than cutting and pasting stuff on paper.

That's a good point, but I just don't know if I find drawing things that interesting, whether be it on a paper or in 3d modeling program.

SteamKing said:
If you hated algebra and college-level math and purely theoretical stuff, how do you think you're going to like physics, which last I checked, is chock full of algebra, college-level math, and theoretical stuff?

I'm fully aware that there are going to be some things I don't like or even hate. This is one of my doubts, whether I will like it/be able to endure it. But I think there's a little difference between learning something purely theoretical and something that really exist. The reason why I hated algebra is that it's full of abstract stuff that I can't even imagine. If I had some of it on physics class, where it would be needed to solve a real problem, then that's a different story. And calculus wasn't that bad.

kox said:
That's a good point, but I just don't know if I find drawing things that interesting, whether be it on a paper or in 3d modeling program.

Until humans can communicate with one another directly by mental means alone, we must muddle thru writing papers and books and making drawings to communicate our ideas to one another. It's a sad fact of life which you must get used to in any professional, scientific, or other technical field.

I'm fully aware that there are going to be some things I don't like or even hate. This is one of my doubts, whether I will like it/be able to endure it. But I think there's a little difference between learning something purely theoretical and something that really exist. The reason why I hated algebra is that it's full of abstract stuff that I can't even imagine. If I had some of it on physics class, where it would be needed to solve a real problem, then that's a different story. And calculus wasn't that bad.
I don't even know how to understand this. You didn't like algebra because it was too abstract, but calculus "wasn't that bad."

You're going to encounter things in physics which are pretty abstract, so you better get used to them if you take this route.

guys help me i want to post a question but can't figure out how to do it?

Waqas Ahmad said:
guys help me i want to post a question but can't figure out how to do it?
If you want to post a homework question, select the HW forum which most closely matches the subject. You should see a Post New Thread button in the upper right hand part of the screen. Press this button and type in your question by filling out the HW template.

1. Should I study engineering or physics?

This is a common question for students who are interested in both fields. The answer ultimately depends on your personal interests and career goals. Engineering focuses on the application of scientific principles to solve real-world problems, while physics delves deeper into the fundamental laws and theories of the universe. Consider what excites you more and what career opportunities align with your interests.

2. Is engineering or physics more challenging?

Both engineering and physics are challenging fields of study. They require a strong foundation in math and science, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving skills. The level of difficulty may vary depending on the specific courses and your individual strengths. It's important to choose a field that you are passionate about and willing to put in the effort to succeed.

3. Which field has better job prospects?

Both engineering and physics offer a wide range of career opportunities. However, the job market for engineers is typically more diverse and stable. Engineers are in high demand in various industries such as technology, healthcare, and manufacturing. Physics graduates often pursue careers in research, academia, or in specialized fields such as astrophysics or quantum mechanics.

4. Can I switch from engineering to physics or vice versa?

Switching between engineering and physics is possible, but it may require additional coursework and time. The two fields have some overlapping courses, but they also have distinct core courses. It's important to carefully consider your options and consult with academic advisors before making the switch.

5. Which field offers a higher salary?

Salaries for engineers and physicists can vary greatly depending on the specific job, location, and level of experience. Generally, engineers tend to earn higher salaries due to the high demand for their skills in various industries. However, highly specialized physicists working in research or for large organizations can also earn high salaries. It's important to research and consider the potential earnings in your desired career path in both fields.