Which Textbook is Used for 1st Year Physics at UofT?

In summary, the recommended textbook for 1st year physics at University of Toronto is Physics for Scientists and Engineers by Knight, 2nd edition. It is uncertain if this textbook will be used next year and it is suggested to borrow it from a library or wait to purchase a used one when school starts. Another recommendation is to work through Halliday, which is considered to be at the same level and possibly better.
glueball8
What book is used for next year's 1st year physics at University of Toronto? I have a very old Fundamentals of Physics, I read it but didn't do that much problems. (though I did contest questions) I want to restudy everything, this time doing all the problems. I want to buy the exact textbook so I don't waste money.

Physics news on Phys.org
They use physics for scientists and engineers by knight, 2nd edition.

khemix said:
They use physics for scientists and engineers by knight, 2nd edition.

Hi, do you know if they will be using it next year? Should I buy it now?

Bright Wang said:
Hi, do you know if they will be using it next year? Should I buy it now?

no one knows that, they probably will but you never know - there might be a new edition or some new professors take over.

dont buy it. when school starts you can get a used one really cheap downtown. right now borrow it from a library. i suggest you work through halliday if you have that, in many ways its better and at the same level.

1. What topics are covered in the 1st year Physics Book at UofT?

The 1st year Physics Book at UofT covers a wide range of topics including mechanics, electricity and magnetism, waves and optics, and thermodynamics.

2. Is the 1st year Physics Book at UofT difficult to understand?

The difficulty of the 1st year Physics Book at UofT will vary depending on the individual student's prior knowledge and understanding of physics concepts. The book is designed to be accessible to students with different backgrounds and abilities and provides clear explanations and examples to aid in understanding.

3. Are there any online resources available for the 1st year Physics Book at UofT?

Yes, the University of Toronto's Department of Physics website provides online resources such as lecture notes, practice problems, and additional readings for the 1st year Physics Book. There are also many online forums and study groups where students can collaborate and discuss the book's content.

4. Can I use the 1st year Physics Book at UofT for self-study?

Yes, the 1st year Physics Book at UofT can be used for self-study. The book is designed to be self-contained and includes practice problems and solutions to help students check their understanding. However, it is recommended to supplement self-study with additional resources and seek guidance from a professor or tutor if needed.

5. Is the 1st year Physics Book at UofT used in other universities?

The 1st year Physics Book at UofT is specifically designed and used for the introductory physics courses at the University of Toronto. However, many of the concepts covered in the book are fundamental to physics and can be found in other introductory physics textbooks used in different universities.