Which Unit Is Not a Basic Quantity in Mechanics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the units of basic quantities and the answer to a multiple choice question. The units of second, kilogram, and meter are eliminated as possible answers, leaving pounds and slugs as options. The difference between pounds and slugs is mentioned, with the conclusion that pounds is the correct answer.
Tiven white

Homework Statement

All the following are units of basic quantities except ______.
Select one:
a. second
b. slug
c. kilogram
d. meter
e. pound

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i have eliminated the answers a, c,d i now the answer is between pound and a slug on wiki i see both being a measurement of mass so am not sure between the two though i think the slug is the answer

Physics news on Phys.org
Tiven white said:

Homework Statement

All the following are units of basic quantities except ______.
Select one:
a. second
b. slug
c. kilogram
d. meter
e. pound

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i have eliminated the answers a, c,d i now the answer is between pound and a slug on wiki i see both being a measurement of mass so am not sure between the two though i think the slug is the answer
Pound is a unit of force (except in the english system were it is sometimes a unit of force and sometimes a unit of mass). Slug is a unit of mass.

So what would u say is the answer

Tiven white said:
So what would u say is the answer
pounds.

You are correct, the answer is b. slug. The slug is a unit of mass in the English system of measurement, while the other options are units of time (second) and length (meter) in the International System of Units (SI). The pound is also a unit of mass, but it is not considered a basic quantity in mechanics.

Related to Which Unit Is Not a Basic Quantity in Mechanics?

1. What are the basic quantities of mechanics?

The basic quantities of mechanics are length, mass, time, velocity, and acceleration. These are the fundamental measurements used to describe the motion of objects in the field of mechanics.

2. How are these quantities related to each other?

Length, mass, and time are considered base quantities, while velocity and acceleration are derived quantities. Velocity is defined as the change in an object's position over time, while acceleration is the change in an object's velocity over time.

3. What are the units of measurement for these quantities?

Length is measured in meters (m), mass in kilograms (kg), time in seconds (s), velocity in meters per second (m/s), and acceleration in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

4. How are these quantities used in everyday life?

These quantities are used in a variety of ways in everyday life. For example, when driving a car, we measure distance (length) traveled, time taken, and speed (velocity) to determine how long it will take us to reach our destination. In sports, we use velocity and acceleration to measure the speed and movement of athletes. In construction, these quantities are used to calculate the strength and stability of structures.

5. What other fields of science use these basic quantities?

These basic quantities are used in many fields of science, including physics, engineering, astronomy, and chemistry. They are also used in everyday activities, such as cooking, gardening, and sports. They provide a foundation for understanding the physical world and are essential for conducting experiments and making accurate measurements in scientific research.