Who has experience with AD8333 to demodulate a square wave?

In summary, individuals with experience using the AD8333 have successfully demodulated square waves with the device. This integrated circuit is commonly used in communication and signal processing applications, providing high performance and flexibility in demodulation tasks. With its low power consumption and compact size, the AD8333 is a popular choice among experts for demodulating square waves.
bouyang
I am wondering if anyone has used AD8333 to demodulate a square wave input (Not the LO, but the RF input).

Engineering news on Phys.org
how do you demodulate a square wave?

Likes berkeman
I have a CW square wave, I am hoping to extract its phase and amplitude related to a reference signal (supplied tot he LO port).

bouyang said:
I am wondering if anyone has used AD8333 to demodulate a square wave input (Not the LO, but the RF input).

thankz said:
how do you demodulate a square wave?
:smile:

bouyang said:
I have a CW square wave, I am hoping to extract its phase and amplitude related to a reference signal (supplied tot he LO port).

First, you're not likely to get a square wave from an RF source. What is your source, and what is the frequency?

And as pointed out by thankz, a square wave by definition has no variation in phase. I suppose you could amplitude modulate it, but then all you need is an envelope detector to decode it -- no LO is needed.

A typical AD8333 application circuit...

http://circuits.datasheetdir.com/315/AD8333-circuits.jpg
AD8333-circuits.jpg

Square waves?

I've AND'ed them after shifting to logic level voltage.
Resulting duty cycle is in proportion to phase and lends itself to averaging.

But no, i never used that device.

The source is a photo detector output of a square wave modulated light source at 500KHz. What I hope to do is to measure the phase shift/delay between this output and a reference signal.

If I supply a reference signal (4 x frequency) to LO.

Mixing of the RF input: sqrt(2*pi*w+ph)=sin(2*pi*w+phi)-1/3**sin(2*pi*3*w+3*phi)+1/5**sin(2*pi*5*w+5*phi) and
and the reference: sqrt(2*pi*w)=sin(2*pi*w)-1/3**sin(2*pi*3*w)+1/5**sin(2*pi*5*w)

after a lowpass filter the DC component will be: cos(phi)+1/9*cost(3*phi)+1/25*cos(5*phi) = cos (THETA)

I was hoping the demodulator output can give me the ability to measure THETA and then derive phi based on the above relation.

Do you think this is valid?

Thanks again for all your help!

Last edited by a moderator:
jim hardy said:
Square waves?

I've AND'ed them after shifting to logic level voltage.
Resulting duty cycle is in proportion to phase and lends itself to averaging.

But no, i never used that device.

Jim

Thanks. That's what I original thought. But my RF input is very low...

I would feed the small noisy received square wave, (RX), through a wideband limiting amplifier first. Then I would phase lock an oscillator to that limited signal. The PLL could have a long time constant since only phase shift is required. A Voltage Controlled Crystal Oscillator, (VCXO), might be used. Measuring the phase difference between the TX and PLL(RX) would be significantly more reliable than processing noisy signals.

Design will depend on the bandwidth of the RX signal. Are you designing a laser range-finder ?

Yes, I am essentially trying to build a laser range finder... Thanks you for the advice! In my case the RX signal will be 500KHz.

BTW,
Baluncore said:
I would feed the small noisy received square wave, (RX), through a wideband limiting amplifier first. Then I would phase lock an oscillator to that limited signal. The PLL could have a long time constant since only phase shift is required. A Voltage Controlled Crystal Oscillator, (VCXO), might be used. Measuring the phase difference between the TX and PLL(RX) would be significantly more reliable than processing noisy signals.

Design will depend on the bandwidth of the RX signal. Are you designing a laser range-finder ?

Also, I would greatly appreciate if you can recommend a wideband limiting amplifier? Thanks again.

I would first consider something like the AD8306.
See this link for; AN-691 "Operation of RF Detector Products at Low Frequency"
http://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/application-notes/AN-691.pdf
It lists;
AD8302 Special Purpose
AD8306 Demodulating Logarithmic Amplifier
AD8307 Demodulating Logarithmic Amplifier
AD8309 Demodulating Logarithmic Amplifier
AD8310 Demodulating Logarithmic Amplifier
AD8361 RF rms-to-dc Converter
AD8362 Exponential Logarithmic Amplifier

Some limiting amplifier ICs only generate the logarithmic RSSI signal, but you need output(s) from the limiting amp.
The latest WB limiting amps are used for xGHz optic fibre receive data amplifiers.

Many FM receiver chips have a limiting amplifier with RSSI and signal output(s). For example; the nxp SA604
http://www.nxp.com/documents/data_sheet/SA604A.pdf

Likes berkeman
Baluncore said:
I would first consider something like the AD8306.
See this link for; AN-691 "Operation of RF Detector Products at Low Frequency"
http://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/application-notes/AN-691.pdf
It lists;
AD8302 Special Purpose
AD8306 Demodulating Logarithmic Amplifier
AD8307 Demodulating Logarithmic Amplifier
AD8309 Demodulating Logarithmic Amplifier
AD8310 Demodulating Logarithmic Amplifier
AD8361 RF rms-to-dc Converter
AD8362 Exponential Logarithmic Amplifier

Some limiting amplifier ICs only generate the logarithmic RSSI signal, but you need output(s) from the limiting amp.
The latest WB limiting amps are used for xGHz optic fibre receive data amplifiers.

Many FM receiver chips have a limiting amplifier with RSSI and signal output(s). For example; the nxp SA604
http://www.nxp.com/documents/data_sheet/SA604A.pdf
Thank you very much for the help!

1. What is the AD8333 and how does it work?

The AD8333 is an integrated circuit (IC) designed for demodulating a square wave in various applications. It works by receiving a square wave input and converting it into a demodulated output signal through a low-pass filter and amplifier.

2. Can the AD8333 be used to demodulate other waveforms besides square waves?

While the AD8333 is specifically designed for demodulating square waves, it can also be used for other waveforms with similar characteristics, such as pulse waves and rectangular waves.

3. How accurate is the demodulated output signal from the AD8333?

The accuracy of the demodulated output signal depends on various factors such as the input signal quality, external components used, and environmental conditions. However, the AD8333 has a typical accuracy of +/- 0.5%.

4. What is the maximum frequency that the AD8333 can demodulate?

The AD8333 has a maximum operating frequency of 10 MHz, which means it can accurately demodulate square waves with frequencies up to 10 MHz.

5. Are there any recommended external components for optimal performance of the AD8333?

Yes, for optimal performance, it is recommended to use a low-pass filter and amplifier in conjunction with the AD8333. The datasheet of the AD8333 provides a recommended circuit for demodulating square waves with optimal performance.