Who Here Blogs (not PF Blog) and Uses LaTeX?

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Blog Latex
In summary, using a free blog site like Google Blogger or buying one's own website may be the best options for someone wanting to start a blog about Mechanical Engineering-related things. LaTeX support is available on many smaller blog sites, but MathJax is problematic for some.
Saladsamurai
I am interested in starting a Blog (not using PF Blog; nothing personal :wink:) on Mechanical Engineering related things. I will need to have equations and such, preferably LaTeX. I know next to nothing about starting my own blog, but it seems I would have 2 options: 1) Use a free blog site like Google Blogger or 2) Buy my own website. Free seems like the better option especially since it will let me test drive things.

Does anyone here have any experience using a free blog site and rendering LaTeX graphics for free? I am not sure how this works and could use some suggestions. Thanks! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Apparently many folks use Google's blog service
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blogger_(service )

www.blogspot.com

Or one could contact one's ISP. I believe ours has a blog service. Otherwise, there are some organizations, perhaps ASME, that allow members to blog.

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronuc said:
Apparently many folks use Google's blog service
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blogger_(service )

www.blogspot.com

Or one could contact one's ISP. I believe ours has a blog service. Otherwise, there are some organizations, perhaps ASME, that allow members to blog.

I am leaning towards Blogger since I'm a Gmail fan already. It's just a matter of introducing LaTeX.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a blogger blog were I post random thoughts. I've used mathjax for posts that contain math. It was fairly easy to set up and works well.

Blogger and Wordpress are the largest blogging sites. Blogger doesn't have any particular relation to Gmail, except that it happens to be maintained by the same company. In general, they're probably equivalent. You can get LaTeX working on either one.

There are many slightly smaller blog sites like LiveJournal and Tumblr. I would imagine a lot of them support (or can be made to support) LaTeX.

MathJax is awesome.

Wow! I knew that we used MathJax at PF, but I had no idea how many applications they had! Gmail, Gchat ... I think I will test drive Blogger with MathJax. Thanks folks! :smile:

Well...MathJax is giving me a lot of problems. In Blogger, if I add a new page, I have to make sure that I add

Code:
<script type="text/x-mathjax-config">
   MathJax.Hub.Config({tex2jax: {inlineMath: [['$','$'], ['\\(','\\)']]}}); 
</script> <script src="http://cdn.mathjax.org/mathjax/latest/MathJax.js?config=TeX-AMS-MML_HTMLorMML" type="text/javascript">
</script>

in the HTML view and there needs actually be some LaTeX source on the page before hitting preview, else the script seems to 'disappear.'

But that's not the biggest problem. The biggest problem is that I will add a new page that has some regular text and LaTeX on it, everything will be working fine (i.e. preview looks good, published looks good). Then I go to edit and sometimes when I add new LaTeX it renders and other times it does not! No rhyme or reason to it.

Anyone else ever have this issue? It really sucks. :mad:

1. Who typically blogs and uses LaTeX?

Scientists, researchers, and academics are the most common groups of people who blog and use LaTeX. They often use blogs to share their research findings and LaTeX to format their mathematical equations and scientific documents.

2. Why do people choose to use LaTeX for blogging?

LaTeX is a typesetting system that is particularly useful for writing complex mathematical equations and scientific documents. It allows for precise and consistent formatting, making it a popular choice among scientists and researchers who want to showcase their work on their blogs.

3. Is it difficult to learn how to use LaTeX for blogging?

Learning LaTeX can be challenging for those who are not familiar with coding and markup languages. However, there are many online resources and tutorials available to help beginners get started. With some practice, it can become a valuable tool for blogging.

4. Can LaTeX be used for any type of blogging?

While LaTeX is primarily used for scientific and mathematical content, it can be used for any type of blogging. However, it may not be the best choice for bloggers who do not need to use mathematical equations or complex formatting in their posts.

5. Is LaTeX compatible with all blogging platforms?

Most blogging platforms, such as WordPress and Blogger, support LaTeX integration. However, some may require additional plugins or coding to enable the use of LaTeX. It is important to check the compatibility of your chosen platform before starting a blog using LaTeX.