Who is Ada Lovelace and Why is Google Celebrating Her Today?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Sudharaka
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Google
In summary, the conversation is about Google's Doodle celebrating mathematician Ada Lovelace's anniversary. The participants discuss the lack of recognition for mathematicians and mention other famous mathematicians such as Newton and Leibniz. They also mention Newton's proof of elliptical orbits and a possible dispute over who thought of it first.
Sudharaka
Gold Member
MHB
Hi everyone, (Wave)

Have you noticed that today's Doodle is about Ada Lovelace. I think it's one of those rare occasions that Google celebrates the anniversary of a mathematician. :)

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

24o8603.jpg

Computer science news on Phys.org
Very cool! I couldn't see that yesterday but can now. You are ahead of me in international time is probably why. I'm going to tweet about this now :)

Most people don't acknowledge mathematicians. Most people don't even realize that Newton was one of two people who invented Calculus... all they know of are apples (Speechless)(Dull)... Very cool Doodle though! Thanks for sharing that!

alane1994 said:
Most people don't acknowledge mathematicians. Most people don't even realize that Newton was one of two people who invented Calculus... all they know of are apples (Speechless)(Dull)... Very cool Doodle though! Thanks for sharing that!
Well.. there was at least one more mathematician before Newton and Leibniz who discovered (some) calculus. Archemedes is credited for the method of exhaustion which he used, I guess, for calculating volumes of sphere and other geometrical shapes.

alane1994 said:
And I think one remarkable fact about Newton which very few seem to be aware of is that Newton was able to prove that the planets go around sun in elliptical orbits without any calculus or even vector methods. His proof was purely geometric and I think it is one of the most elegant proofs anyone has ever come up with.

I'm sure Robert Hooke would have claimed to have thought of it first. (Giggle)

1. Who is Ada Lovelace?

Ada Lovelace, born in 1815, was a British mathematician and writer. She is widely recognized for her contribution to the field of computer programming, and is often referred to as the "first computer programmer".

2. Why is Google featuring Ada Lovelace in a doodle?

Google often features significant historical figures or events in their doodles to celebrate and raise awareness about their contributions. In this case, Ada Lovelace's contributions to computer programming are being recognized and celebrated.

3. What contributions did Ada Lovelace make to computer programming?

Ada Lovelace is best known for her work on Charles Babbage's Analytical Engine, an early mechanical computer. She is credited with writing the first algorithm for this machine, making her the first computer programmer in history.

4. How did Ada Lovelace get interested in mathematics and computer programming?

Ada Lovelace's interest in mathematics was encouraged by her mother, who hired tutors to teach her advanced math and science. She also had access to Charles Babbage's work through her father, who was a friend of Babbage's. Lovelace's passion for math and science, combined with her exposure to Babbage's work, led to her interest in computer programming.

5. What is Ada Lovelace's legacy in the field of computer programming?

Ada Lovelace's contributions to the field of computer programming were largely overlooked during her lifetime. However, her work was rediscovered in the mid-20th century and she is now recognized as a pioneer in the field. Her work continues to inspire and influence computer scientists and programmers around the world, and she serves as a role model for women in STEM fields.