Who is Dr. Robert B. Pamplin, Jr.?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degrees
In summary: But it wasn't. Just an interesting man who has a lot of degrees.In summary, Dr. Robert B. Pamplin, Jr. is an impressive individual with a wide range of interests and degrees. He has been successful in business and in other endeavors, and is respected by many for his philanthropy.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
A friend of mine just did some work for this person and brought him to my attention. He is certainly one of Oregon's finest. I guess his 160,000 acre ranch [about 30 miles by 5 miles] includes private snow skiing. :cry:

He is quite an impressive person.

Dr. Robert B. Pamplin, Jr. is a businessman, philanthropist, farmer, minister and author of 13 books, including two book-of-the-month-club selections. He has earned degrees in business, economics, accounting, education and theology. He is President and CEO of the R.B. Pamplin Corporation, a family-owned company with annual sales of approximately $700 million , and is the founder of the Portland Tribune newspaper, Columbia Empire Farms and Your NorthWest retail stores. Dr. Pamplin has served on Presidential and State Commissions, and as Chairman of the Board of Trustees for three colleges. He has been the recipient of many honorary degrees and national awards, including the Distinguished Leadership Medal from the Freedoms Foundation at Valley Forge, the National Caring Award from the Caring Institute, the Herman W. Lay Memorial Award for being the outstanding Entrepreneur of the Year, and America's Outstanding Individual Philanthropist by the Association of Fundraising Professionals. Most recently, in Oregon, he has been honored with the Governor's Arts Award, Entrepreneur of the Year, Portland's First Citizen, and selected by the Business Journal as one of 20 Leaders of Change over the last 20 years.

http://www.pamplin.org/home.html

Apparently he may hold more degrees than any living person. Anyway, no real point I just thought he is interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ivan Seeking said:
A friend of mine just did some work for this person and brought him to my attention. He is certainly one of Oregon's finest. I guess his 160,000 acre ranch [about 30 miles by 5 miles] includes private snow skiing. :cry:

He is quite an impressive person.

http://www.pamplin.org/home.html

Apparently he may hold more degrees than any living person. Anyway, no real point I just thought he is interesting.

I only count 5.. Not that I'm complaing.. after 2 it becomes a moot point.. .hehe

Last edited by a moderator:
That was five subject areas. I was told eight degrees, including two Ph.D's, in addition to many more hororary degrees.

People like this just amaze me. How can he do so much?

Ivan Seeking said:
That was five subject areas. I was told eight degrees, including two Ph.D's, in addition to many more hororary degrees.

I'm sure he's a total party animal... hehe

Ya something like that goes beyond intelligence.. But if you think about it, once you have your general studies out of the way, a lot of duplication is eliminated because you just have to take courses specific to your degree..but still..I imagine it's taken him 30 years to do something like that..

I've little respect for honorary degrees. Eight real degrees - that I've got great respect for.

King Bhumibol Adulyadaj (of Thailand) holds the record in the Guinness Book as the recipient of more honorary academic degrees than anyone else in the world. The King has received a grand total of 136, exceeding the 131 awarded to Father Theodore Hesburgh, president of Notre Dame University.

I think this guy has 8 ACTUAL degrees plus honary degrees.

Zantra said:
I think this guy has 8 ACTUAL degrees plus honary degrees.

I believe so, too. And I do have great respect for him, even otherwise.

Yes, but can he score 75,000,000 poins in level III of Death Kill Battle Underlords!

I wonder if he sleeps. And if he does, does he dream. And if he does, does he dream of earning another degree?

Some people.

Chi Meson said:
Yes, but can he score 75,000,000 poins in level III of Death Kill Battle Underlords!.

No but I understand that this is now his primary goal in life. :biggrin:

Hey Evo, have I got the guy for you! :biggrin:

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:

I'm fairly stupid, but even I have 2 degrees. And, had I the money and hence, free time, I would have 4 or 5 degrees by now, and be on my way to more. I love studying and would do it full-time for the rest of my life if I had great wealth. This guy also runs a large company, though, and there's no way I could handle the responsibility and pressure of that and study at the same time. But, at least, as the big boss, he gets significant freedom of choice in the utilisation of his time. He clearly is an extremely intelligent person.

Plus it didn't say he was an "A" student. He may have passed some of the classes by the skin of his teeth.. of course if he runs a company, he must be intelligent enough...

I confess the title of this thread led me to believe it was either going to be about some rich man who lived in Antarctica, or a ‘get rich quick’ scheme of some sort.

Related to Who is Dr. Robert B. Pamplin, Jr.?

1. What is the concept of "8 Degrees and a billionaire"?

"8 Degrees and a billionaire" is a hypothetical situation used to illustrate the concept of exponential growth. It describes a scenario where a person starts with a small amount of money, say $1, and doubles it eight times to become a billionaire. This concept is often used in economics and finance to explain the power of compounding over time.

2. How long does it take for someone to become a billionaire in "8 Degrees and a billionaire"?

In this scenario, it takes eight doublings, or eight periods of time, for someone to become a billionaire. The amount of time it takes will depend on the rate of doubling, which can vary depending on factors such as interest rates and investment returns.

3. Is "8 Degrees and a billionaire" a realistic scenario?

While it may seem far-fetched, "8 Degrees and a billionaire" is a realistic scenario in theory. The concept of compounding is a fundamental principle in economics and has been observed in various real-world situations, such as the growth of wealth over time.

4. Can the "8 Degrees and a billionaire" concept be applied to other situations besides wealth?

Yes, the concept of exponential growth can be applied to any situation where there is a compounding effect. For example, population growth, technological advancements, and even the spread of viruses can follow an exponential growth pattern.

5. How does the "8 Degrees and a billionaire" concept relate to my everyday life?

The "8 Degrees and a billionaire" concept can serve as a reminder of the power of compounding and the importance of making long-term investments. It can also be applied to personal finance, where small savings or investments can grow significantly over time through compounding.