Who Will Win the Race at the Event Horizon?

In summary, the physics in the message is incorrect and therefore cannot be used to provide a sensible perspective on the concept of singularity.
arkantos
Hi guys.

Imagine that in the exact instant when a massive particle A crosses the event horizon of a black hole, a Photon does the same,so that they have a race toward the singularity. Who will win the race? Will they have still different velocities?

Physics news on Phys.org
arkantos said:
Hi guys.

Imagine that in the exact instant when a massive particle A crosses the event horizon of a black hole, a Photon does the same,so that they have a race toward the singularity. Who will win the race? Will they have still different velocities?

You need to specify what you mean by "win the race". If they cross the horizon at the same space-time event, they will no longer be co-located inside the black hole. You therefore need to specify a simultaneity convention with which your "race" is being set up.

arkantos said:
Who will win the race? Will they have still different velocities?
As Orodruin notes, there are quite a lot of subtleties to answering your questions.

It's certainly the case that, if your massive particle has a little bit of length, the light will catch the rear of it and then pass the front of it. So yes, the two things do have different velocities in this sense.

"Who wins the race to the singularity" is hairier. The events where any two things strike the singularity are spacelike separated, so there is no invariant answer. At least one coordinate system (Kruskal-Szekeres interior Schwarzschild coordinates) assigns the same timelike coordinate everywhere on the singularity, so you are free to argue that all races to the singularity, no matter the contestants or any handicap, end in draws!

Last edited:
Ibix said:
At least one coordinate system (Kruskal-Szekeres coordinates) assigns the same timelike coordinate everywhere on the singularity
Are you sure? Sorry if I seem to be arguing, this is just a question.

kent davidge said:
Are you sure? Sorry if I seem to be arguing, this is just a question.
No - you're right. Interior Schwarzschild coordinates do what I meant - with that correction the point stands, I think. I'll correct it above.

Edit: changed my mind. Although interior Schwarzschild coordinates do assign the same time coordinate to the end of the race, they don't assign any coordinate at all to the start of the race, since they don't cover the event horizon. I've struck out that part of my last paragraph.

Last edited:
arkantos said:
they have a race toward the singularity. Who will win the race?

The singularity is a moment in time, not a place in space. So your question is like asking "Who will win the race to next Tuesday?"

Another relevant, oft made point, is that the singularity is best thought of a missing spacelike line not a missing point. Thus, if the mental model was to have someone waiting at the finish, timing the race, the fundamental problem is that the photon and massive body cannot reach the same point on the singular line, that is, they cannot arrive at the same place, thus they can't have the same race.

Note that if non-free fall paths are allowed, two material test bodies can race to the same place on the singularity. But then, you still can't declare a winner, because this (limiting) event has a time as well as place, so they have arrived at the same time by construction.

Likes PeroK
A different, possibly amusing, form of race is possible for two test bodies crossing the horizon together, then racing on any time like path they want to anywhere on the singularity - the winner being declared as the one with the smallest time on their watch starting from the mutual crossing. What's funny about it is that the winner can approach zero time passed to the singularity following a near lightlike path.

Thank you for your answers.

Sorry if this will seem silly: At least we can say that the two particles that enter in the same event horizon at the same time toward the same singularity will have the same speed of light velocity; it is correct? And this can be said for every particle that enters in a given event horizon. This is the point that I wanted to ascertain.
I am more interested in the philosophical perspective.
If special relativity implies an infinite amount of energy to reach speed of light for a massive particle, and this is what seems to happen in a black hole, why Physicists consider the concept of singularity a mathematical aberration?, a symptom that GR is incomplete?
I mean, if what I said is correct, why the idea of singularity is more absurd than the idea of a massive particles that travel toward the singularity at the speed of light?

First, we don't discuss philosophy here.

Second, the physics in your message is incorrect, so we can't use it as a sensible basis for discussion.

arkantos said:
At least we can say that the two particles that enter in the same event horizon at the same time toward the same singularity will have the same speed of light velocity; it is correct?
No. That was a point I made in post #3.

arkantos said:
At least we can say that the two particles that enter in the same event horizon at the same time toward the same singularity will have the same speed of light velocity; it is correct?

No. As @Ibix said, this was already explained.

arkantos said:
I am more interested in the philosophical perspective.

As @Vanadium 50 has pointed out, this is not a philosophy forum, it's a physics forum. Even leaving that aside, you can't have valid philosophy if you have an incorrect understanding of the physics.

arkantos said:
If special relativity implies an infinite amount of energy to reach speed of light for a massive particle, and this is what seems to happen in a black hole

It isn't. When a massive particle crosses the hole's horizon, the horizon is moving outward at the speed of light.

You might want to read this Insights article series on the Schwarzschild geometry:

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/schwarzschild-geometry-part-1/

It addresses a number of common misconceptions about black holes, some of which you seem to have.

arkantos said:
if what I said is correct

It isn't. This has been explained.

Likes Ibix
The OP question has been answered. Thread closed.

1. What is the Event Horizon?

The Event Horizon is the boundary surrounding a black hole, where the gravitational pull is so strong that not even light can escape.

2. What is the race at the Event Horizon?

The race at the Event Horizon is a hypothetical competition between particles or objects approaching the black hole's Event Horizon, with the goal of determining which one will cross the boundary first.

3. Why is it difficult to predict who will win the race at the Event Horizon?

It is difficult to predict who will win the race at the Event Horizon because the extreme gravitational forces near the black hole can significantly alter the trajectory of objects, making it challenging to accurately calculate their paths.

4. What factors affect the outcome of the race at the Event Horizon?

The outcome of the race at the Event Horizon can be affected by the mass and velocity of the competing objects, as well as the strength of the black hole's gravitational pull.

5. What can we learn from studying the race at the Event Horizon?

Studying the race at the Event Horizon can provide insights into the behavior of matter and energy under extreme gravitational conditions, which can help us better understand the nature of black holes and the universe as a whole.