Who would take care of the animals in a vegan world?

• Thread starter Spreadsheet
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Animals
In summary: I think this is a parallel to what Dave is trying to say with his question.Yes, Dave is correct. Do vegans think the whole world should stop exploiting animals, and what do they see that world looking like?They would go extinct which is a very dangerous thing.
Spreadsheet
Say everyone in the world suddenly became vegan (eating no animals products whatsoever). How would we take care of the domesticated animals (those that cannot survive without humans)?

• Not all animals can be used for work.
  • There are 1.3 billion cattle, 2 billion pigs, 24 billion chickens, and 1 billion sheep, just to name a few domesticated animals. If you add these up, it would be 28.3 billion animals. Every person would have to take care of about 4 animals.
  • Some animals don't contribute much to society except for their products. Pigs are used for meat. Chickens are used for their eggs and meat.
  • Hiring people to take care of the animals would be pointless, since the animals won't be producing anything.
  • Zoos don't need billions of animals to exhibit.
  • Letting animals roam free would expose them to hunger and disease. They won't be able to survive.

Possible solution: "rewild" the animals, but this would cause invasive species that would wipe out the native population of animals

I've asked on reddit and another forum before, but I've never gotten a real, clear answer. Could Physics Forums help me? :smile:

Sources: wikipedia

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A vegan diet is unhealthy and not sustainable without supplements, so such a scenario is more science fiction than anything else and since humans are biologically carnivores, I don't even see the point in your post. Just not going to happen. You've also neglected the other uses for animals, leather, feathers, animal feed, by-products.

My question is towards the vegans who want the entire world to eat like them.

They'd die. Is that not obvious?

Spreadsheet said:
My question is towards the vegans who want the entire world to eat like them.
Then that really makes no sense, you want to ask just vegans about the animals they don't eat?

There are far more than 1 billion sheep(if you're counting the humans).

Evo said:
Then that really makes no sense, you want to ask just vegans about the animals they don't eat?

No... I'm asking them about what they would do to those animals that they care so much about.

Spreadsheet said:
No... I'm asking them about what they would do to those animals that they care so much about.
Ah, I see. Well not all vegans care about animals, they have a belief that eliminating necessary natural nutrients in their diet and trying to replace them with artificial supplements is somehow healthier than eating the real thing.

I think it's obvious that Spreadsheet is wondering how the world would work if vegans "got their way" in the sense that no one would exploit animals. He is figuring that the vegans' plan is short-sighted and ultimately flawed.

I think the danger of Spreadsheet's position is that he is putting words in the mouths of vegans. The question he needs to get answered first is: Do vegans think the whole world should stop exploiting animals, and what do they see that world looking like?

DaveC426913 said:
I think it's obvious that Spreadsheet is wondering how the world would work if vegans "got their way" in the sense that no one would exploit animals. He is figuring that the vegans' plan is short-sighted and ultimately flawed.

I think the danger of Spreadsheet's position is that he is putting words in the mouths of vegans. The question he needs to get answered first is: Do vegans think the whole world should stop exploiting animals, and what do they see that world looking like?

Vegans don't mind having words put into their mouths; it's animals and animal by-products they object to.

Yes, Dave is correct. Do vegans think the whole world should stop exploiting animals, and what do they see that world looking like?

They would go extinct which is a very dangerous thing. I've had this conversation on PF before and the view of the poster I was discussing it with was that it was fine to let them go extinct. They just wanted to 'end the suffering' of all the animals we use for animal products, food, etc. Many animals, chicken is a good example, can forage and scrounge for their food and live off a landscape that would never support a human. This is why we have what we do today. Thousands of years of human survival because our ancestors learned how to survive by utilizing animals. We didn't end up where we are today utilizing animals for no reason at all.

Spreadsheet said:
Yes, Dave is correct. Do vegans think the whole world should stop exploiting animals, and what do they see that world looking like?

I think though, your argument itself is flawed. Consider the following analogous argument:

"What do scientists think they're doing trying to cure cancer and other disease? The world is overpopulated enough as it is, what do they think the world will look like if no one died of cancer or disease?"

See, the cause is justified in-and-of-itself. Unwanted side-effects do not mitigate the worthiness of the cause.

Spreadsheet said:
I've asked on reddit and another forum before, but I've never gotten a real, clear answer.

Sources: wikipedia

So you want a "real, clear answer" to an impossible, hypothetical, question? An extreme, fringe wing of a culinary minority group will not suddenly "get their way" across the globe, so the points is lost.

If the world should move toward global veganism (no, I am not for that; I like a good cheeseburger), but if it did so, it would "phase out" animal husbandry. The millions and billions of domesticated food animals would die by attrition. Such a cultural shift would take centuries.

Evo said:
A vegan diet is unhealthy and not sustainable without supplements, so such a scenario is more science fiction than anything else and since humans are biologically carnivores, I don't even see the point in your post. Just not going to happen. You've also neglected the other uses for animals, leather, feathers, animal feed, by-products.
What supplements are necessary that cannot be found naturally in plant products?

I would say humans are omnivores. A mostly animal matter diet sounds tasty, but I don't think that would be healthy for a human. Our biology is well-suited for digesting vegetable matter. Some web sites make the argument that humans are biologically herbivores by citing the many similarities of herbivores and humans. However, they promote an agenda, so I'd like to know specifically what traits suit us to digesting animal matter that is different from herbivores.

As Huckleberry said, a well-planned vegan diet is perfectly sustainable without any supplements. A poorly-planned diet is not, but that's hardly a problem specific to vegans.

Humans are definitely not biological carnivores. They've been functional omnivores since the hunterer-gatherer days, but their biological relatives, the primates, are primarily herbivorous. The chimpanzee, for example, gets 4% of its food from insects and 1% from meat; the rest is from plant matter.

What supplements are necessary that cannot be found naturally in plant products?
I think B-12 can only be obtained from animal products. But nowadays, a vegan could have a bowl of cereal with some soy milk and have almost an entire day's worth of vitamins and minerals.

ideasrule said:
As Huckleberry said, a well-planned vegan diet is perfectly sustainable without any supplements. A poorly-planned diet is not, but that's hardly a problem specific to vegans.

Humans are definitely not biological carnivores. They've been functional omnivores since the hunterer-gatherer days, but their biological relatives, the primates, are primarily herbivorous. The chimpanzee, for example, gets 4% of its food from insects and 1% from meat; the rest is from plant matter.
Yes, I meant omnivores, I thought of that around 3am, but I knew I would be corrected.

Evo said:
Ah, I see. Well not all vegans care about animals, they have a belief that eliminating necessary natural nutrients in their diet and trying to replace them with artificial supplements is somehow healthier than eating the real thing.

I'd like to see studies that prove that vegan diet, when properly balanced and supplemented with artificial vitamins & minerals, is unhealthy. Better yet, let's consider lacto-ovo vegetarian diet (since neither milking nor collecting unfertilized eggs requires cruel treatment of animals).

There is solid evidence that most Westerners eat too much meat. Modern dietitians recommend to eat at most 18 ounces per week, because studies have shown that exceeding that amount leads to increased risk of cancer. Americans average 60-70 ounces per week.

So, cutting meat consumption to zero may or may not be a good idea, but many of us should definitely reduce our meat consumption by 75% or more. That may not be true veganism, but it'll surely feel like one.

Last edited:
hamster143 said:
I'd like to see studies that prove that vegan diet, when properly balanced and supplemented with artificial vitamins & minerals, is unhealthy.
Monique had posted an excellent study showing that artificial nutrients did not perform nearly as well as the natural vitamins and nutrients found in natural foods. I'll try to find it later.

I think people are missing the extremely interesting point that OP made, in that there is a certain % of vegans that adhere to their diet because of concerns for animal wellbeing, yet by doing so they reduce demand, which subsequently reduces supply, and thus their act of not having demand for animal products directly reduces the amount of animals allowed to exist. Their goal of stopping animal exploitation by sticking to a vegan diet is reducing their population - they might as well be eating them.

hamster143 said:
There is solid evidence that most Westerners eat too much meat. Modern dietitians recommend to eat at most 18 ounces per week
What?? I'm only supposed to have a steak once a week??

imiyakawa said:
I think people are missing the extremely interesting point that OP made, in that there is a certain % of vegans that adhere to their diet because of concerns for animal wellbeing, yet by doing so they reduce demand, which subsequently reduces supply, and thus their act of not having demand for animal products directly reduces the amount of animals allowed to exist. Their goal of stopping animal exploitation by sticking to a vegan diet is reducing their population - they might as well be eating them.

By that logic, it should be legal, nay, proper for you to pay some woman to conceive and carry a child to term and then raise him/her as a servant or a slave. Since NOT doing that would've directly reduced the size of human population - you might as well be enslaving them.

DaveC426913 said:

Do we include the weight of the ribcage with that?

The original reasoning that meat consumption should be continued because domesticated animals would die without humans is nonsense. If humans stop eating meat, 99% of the current domesticated animal population would die and that would be the end of it. If humans continue eating meat, the current population would die. Their offspring would die. Their offspring's offspring would die, and so on and so forth.

imiyakawa said:

Plenty of governments are trying to reduce their (human) populations. I'm sure they'd disagree with the idea of eating humans though.

hamster143 said:
By that logic, it should be legal, nay, proper for you to pay some woman to conceive and carry a child to term and then raise him/her as a servant or a slave. Since NOT doing that would've directly reduced the size of human population - you might as well be enslaving them.

Well said. But then the counter-point to that is that vegans appear to be indirectly purporting to know that animals would rather not exist and not get treated badly than exist and get treated badly.

ideasrule said:
The original reasoning that meat consumption should be continued because domesticated animals would die without humans is nonsense. If humans stop eating meat, 99% of the current domesticated animal population would die and that would be the end of it. If humans continue eating meat, the current population would die. Their offspring would die. Their offspring's offspring would die, and so on and so forth.

This is twisting things. The implied argument seems to be: If you care about animals and think that everyone should stop eating them because this is cruel to the animals then what do you suggest we do with them if we all stop eating them? Most will not survive in the wild so releasing them into the wild would seem cruel. Their captivity and living conditions tend to be part of the argument that keeping animals for food is cruel so continuing their captivity does not seem like the benevolent answer either. Other arguments against keeping animals for food include land use issues and the impact on the environment. Neither keeping the animals nor setting them loose seems to get rid of these issues. If we simply allow them to die or euthanize them then we will be responsible for making several whole species extinct or endangered (if we keep a few around).

In short, all of the potential answers to the issues of cruelty and environmental impact seem to involve cruelties and environmental impacts of their own.

DaveC426913 said:

Ideally, you should not be eating steak (red meat) at all.

In terms of health benefits per slaughtered living being, it's hard to beat whale meat (as long as you screen out mercury-contaminated whales).

hamster143 said:

Strange, a well funded ad campaing ran for weeks in Australia urging us to "eat 2 servings of red meat a week." I wonder if that was to keep the industry alive rather than giving health advice.

Hopefully, the world won't end up vegan. It would be a daily nightmare for me to eat ~3500 kcal from vegan foods only. Chicken meat, ocean fish meat and occasionally some beef and pork make my heart very happy.

I would open a farm in a vegan world to cater the needs of the variation :smile: I would take care of animals, and they would keep me well fed.

hamster143 said:
I'd like to see studies that prove that vegan diet, when properly balanced and supplemented with artificial vitamins & minerals, is unhealthy.
The point is that you need artificial supplements in order for it to be balanced. That means a vegan diet, by itself, is unhealthy. The supplements are necessary. Now, if you're worried about the animals and the planet and whatever have you, why is it better to have factories producing artificially manufactured vitamin supplements when an animal product is sufficient to fulfill that requirement?

Better yet, let's consider lacto-ovo vegetarian diet (since neither milking nor collecting unfertilized eggs requires cruel treatment of animals).

That diet is sufficiently balanced, but there are people (usually vegans) who would argue that even milking cows and raising chickens for their eggs is cruel. (No, I don't agree with this position, but this is the position other people hold.)

When the chickens and cows get old, should we just let them die of old age rather than kill them and use them for meat? Granted, it would be some tough meat, but why would that meat be bad?

hamster143 said:
umbrella acquiring philanthropy hot

See, just because you string words together doesn't mean they make sense...

Moonbear said:
When the chickens and cows get old, should we just let them die of old age rather than kill them and use them for meat? Granted, it would be some tough meat, but why would that meat be bad?

Oh, they get used for meat. Did you think school lunches get the prime chicken? Those chunks in most canned soups and stews, etc, that's where the "laying hens" go.

Chi Meson said:
Oh, they get used for meat. Did you think school lunches get the prime chicken? Those chunks in most canned soups and stews, etc, that's where the "laying hens" go.

I know this. I was referring to this so-called vegan world and the arbitrariness of assuming all meat consumption was somehow cruel compared to only eating dairy and eggs, or worse for the animals and environment than artificially manufacturing vitamin supplements.