Why 80% of Americans Live East of This Line

• Thread starter Tom.G
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Line
In summary: For northernmost settlement in US, I should have referenced Utqiagvik (formerly known as Barrow), AK, 71°17′26″N 156°47′19″W Approximately 100% of Canadians and Americans live south of the latitude of...In summary, the video discusses Population Density, Topography, Orography, and Rainfall. John Wesley Powell's insights were timely, not centuries ahead of (or before) his (its) time.
Tom.G
Science Advisor
Gold Member
A 20 minute video exploring Population Density, Topography, Orography, and Rainfall.

The narrator is a bit annoying but there is a lot of information in it.

• Wow
Likes davenn, OmCheeto, Astronuc and 1 other person
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
I'd say that John Wesley Powell's insights (thinking) were timely, not centuries ahead of (or before) his (its) time. That's the mark of a good scientist.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Wesley_Powell
John Wesley Powell (March 24, 1834 – September 23, 1902) was an American geologist, U.S. Army soldier, explorer of the American West, professor at Illinois Wesleyan University, and director of major scientific and cultural institutions. He is famous for his 1869 geographic expedition, a three-month river trip down the Green and Colorado rivers, including the first official U.S. government-sponsored passage through the Grand Canyon.

Powell was appointed by US President James A. Garfield to serve as the second director of the U.S. Geological Survey (1881–1894) and proposed, for development of the arid West, policies that were prescient for his accurate evaluation of conditions. He became the first director of the Bureau of Ethnology at the Smithsonian Institution during his service as director of the U.S. Geological Survey,

• Informative
Likes davenn
If you have ever driven across the United States, it wouldn't be a surprise to you that most people live in the east.

The N-S line in Canada is also pretty impressive. Something like 90% live within 100 miles of the US. I'm not sure what the largest exception outside of Edmonton is. Halifax might squeak in. Saskatoon, oerhaps?

Last edited:
Likes Mondayman
Vanadium 50 said:
The N-S line in Canada is also pretty impressive. Something like 90% live within 199 miles of the US. I'm not sure what the largest exception outside of Edmonton is. Halifax might squeak in. Saskatoon, oerhaps?

• Haha
Likes pinball1970, Mondayman, Vanadium 50 and 1 other person
If you really want to make a Canadian angry, ask when Ontario will apply for statehood. That makes them sputtering mad.

Surrender pronto or we’ll level Toronto!

anorlunda said:
That makes them sputtering mad.
How can you tell?

• Haha
Likes berkeman and anorlunda
anorlunda said:
If you really want to make a Canadian angry, ask when Ontario will apply for statehood. That makes them sputtering mad.
Just tell them their beer sucks.

• Haha
  • Wow
Likes hmmm27 and anorlunda
Better watch out about giving the Canadians too much grief.
Their many world class comedians might come after you. :eek:

• Haha
Likes FactChecker and anorlunda
Vanadium 50 said:
The N-S line in Canada is also pretty impressive. Something like 90% live within 100 miles of the US.
Imagine a house filled with 300 million people, warmed by 100 million fireplaces.

Now imagine you're one of 30 million people standing outside in the blowing snow and ice, shivering your short & curlies off. You'd be snuggling up as close as you could to the warm walls and lit windows of that house too.

• Haha
Likes Tom.G and russ_watters
DaveC426913 said:
Imagine a house filled with 300 million people, warmed by 100 million fireplaces.

Now imagine you're one of 30 million people standing outside in the blowing snow and ice, shivering your short & curlies off. You'd be snuggling up as close as you could to the warm walls and lit windows of that house too.
Our igloos and toques keep us cozy enough. Besides, the weather keeps our beer cold and the ice frozen.

Vanadium 50 said:
How can you tell?
You can't. We channel all our anger into the geese.

• Haha
Likes hmmm27, FactChecker and DaveC426913
Mondayman said:
Our igloos and toques keep us cozy enough. Besides, the weather keeps our beer cold and the ice frozen.
I am one of those 30 million too.

Likes pinball1970 and Mondayman
Actually 50% of Canada lives south of Seattle.

• Haha
Likes johnbbahm, davenn and russ_watters
Every province of Canada trades more across its immediate border than it does with the other provinces

I read a book on a blogger who moved to some town in Minnesota, and I was astonished to find out how much of Minnesota is significantly north of most of the population of Canada.

Mondayman said:
Actually 50% of Canada lives south of Seattle.
Are you talking about snowbirds?

Mark44 said:
Are you talking about snowbirds?
in balmy Montreal and Toronto? Thought it would be more than half - the population centers of Ontario and Quebec are S of Seattle and those two provinces are ~60% of Canada’s population

1664498241515.jpeg

• Informative
Likes davenn and Mondayman
BWV said:
in balmy Montreal and Toronto?
Gotcha. I live just north of Seattle and on this end of the country, the border between the US and Canada runs east-west. I forgot that it dips south quite a ways around the Great Lakes.

Just some trivia

Angle Inlet, MN, 49°20′42″N 95°4′12″W Northernmost settlement in US 48 contiguous states.
Maida, ND 48°59′55″N 98°21′53″W
Noyes, MN, 48°59′51″N 97°12′16″W
Portal, ND, 48°59′44″N 102°33′2″W town borders US/Canada border
Morgan, MT, 48°59′36″N 107°49′56″W
Danville, WA, 48°59′33″N 118°30′29″W
Northgate, ND, 48°59′27″N 102°15′44″W
Blaine, WA, 48°59′17″N 122°44′37″W town borders US/Canada border
Molson, WA 48°58′52″N 119°12′02″W

Most towns above are unincorporated

Seattle, WA, 47°36′35″N 122°19′59″W
Estcourt Station, ME, 47.4555°N 69.22877°W

Montreal, QC, 45°30′32″N 73°33′15″W
Ottawa, ON, 45°25′29″N 75°41′42″W
Toronto, ON, 43°44′30″N 79°22′24″W

Last edited:
  • Wow
Likes FactChecker
Astronuc said:
Angle Inlet, MN, 49°20′42″N 95°4′12″W Northernmost settlement in US.
Alaskans will feel slighted.

• Informative
Likes Tom.G
anorlunda said:
Alaskans will feel slighted.
I should have indicated in the contiguous 48 states.

For northernmost settlement in US, I should have referenced Utqiagvik (formerly known as Barrow), AK, 71°17′26″N 156°47′19″W Approximately 100% of Canadians and Americans live south of the latitude of Utqiagvik.

Last edited:
BWV said:
Every province of Canada trades more across its immediate border than it does with the other provinces
Economically, that isn't surprising. You trade with people who have different resources and capabilities then you.

Astronuc said:
I should have referenced Utqiagvik (formerly known as Barrow), AK,
500+ miles to the nearest McDonalds.

• Wow
Likes FactChecker and Astronuc
Vanadium 50 said:
Yep. Apparently, flying is the only option to and from Utqiagvik to Fairbanks (about 500 miles), or take a boat around the coast to Anchorage.

When I took a cruise to Juneau Alaska, they told me there are is no land access to the state's capital.

There are three ways into Juneau: by water, by air and by birth canal.

• Haha
Likes Hornbein, davenn, gmax137 and 1 other person
Astronuc said:
Yep. Apparently, flying is the only option to and from Utqiagvik to Fairbanks (about 500 miles), or take a boat around the coast to Anchorage.

Dog sled might work, too. . . :wink:

Vanadium 50 said:
shouldn't this be in the fast food thread :wink:

>1/6 of Americans live South of Baghdad

I'm sorry to crash this party, but all Americans live east of any meridian. I'll see myself out...

Last edited:
Likes Algr and BillTre
Haborix said:
I'm sorry to crash this party, but all Americans leave east of any meridian. I'll see myself out...
I don't get it. :sorry:
Any line of longitude is a meridian.

So, it could be said that 'all Americans (indeed all humans) live to the east of some meridian' (much as we all live to the east of some city).

Likes phyzguy
I stand by "any." :wink:

Haborix said:
I'm sorry to crash this party, but all Americans live east of any meridian. I'll see myself out...
OK, but they also all live west of any meridian ...

Likes Algr and BillTre
gmax137 said:
Equally true.

gmax137 said:
Call me a linguistic pedant.

"Any" meridian could be - since I get to choose it - 179W. I'll bet you do not live West of that Meridian.

Unless your argument is that anything, including, say, Grand Manan Island (44.7N,66.8W) is still "west" of the 179W meridian.