Why am I receiving multiple identical email notifications for the same response?

• Thread starter phinds
  • Start date
In summary, there were three identical notifications of a response received at different times, but no responses were found in the thread and it did not show any edits. This could be due to some new posts being deleted before being read, which cannot be unsent once the emails have been sent. Additionally, a post made at the same time showed three copies but only one was shown after being deleted, possibly due to a moderator catching it at the same time.
phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
For some reason, I got 3 identical notifications of a response. I got one at 11:41am, the next at 12:01pm and then another at 12:31pm. There were no responses in the thread as of the time of the most recent notification and the thread did not show that it has been edited.

This is not a big deal, but it's a bit weird so I though I should report it.

PF notifications.JPG

Physics news on Phys.org
A possible explanation might be that some new posts were deleted before you had a chance to read them. When this happens, any emails that have already been sent cannot be unsent.

DrGreg said:
A possible explanation might be that some new posts were deleted before you had a chance to read them. When this happens, any emails that have already been sent cannot be unsent.
Makes sense. Thanks.

phinds said:
For some reason, I got 3 identical notifications of a response. I got one at 11:41am, the next at 12:01pm and then another at 12:31pm. There were no responses in the thread as of the time of the most recent notification and the thread did not show that it has been edited.

This is not a big deal, but it's a bit weird so I though I should report it.

View attachment 100260

Odd coincidence, because one of the posts that I made around that time had shown that I made three exact copies of that post. I instantly deleted one, but when the page refreshed only one post was shown...

Fervent Freyja said:
Odd coincidence, because one of the posts that I made around that time had shown that I made three exact copies of that post. I instantly deleted one, but when the page refreshed only one post was shown...

Perhaps a mod caught it at the same time.

1. What is email notification weirdness?

Email notification weirdness is a term used to describe any unexpected or unusual behavior related to email notifications. This can include notifications not being delivered, being delivered at odd times, or containing incorrect information.

2. What causes email notification weirdness?

There can be a variety of causes for email notification weirdness, including technical issues with the email server, misconfigured settings, or spam filters flagging the notifications as spam.

3. How can I troubleshoot email notification weirdness?

The first step in troubleshooting email notification weirdness is to check the settings and configurations for your email notifications. If everything appears to be correct, then it may be helpful to contact your email service provider for assistance.

4. Can email notification weirdness be prevented?

While it is not always possible to prevent email notification weirdness, there are some steps that can help minimize the occurrence. These include regularly checking and updating email settings, monitoring email server performance, and addressing any issues promptly.

5. Is email notification weirdness a common problem?

Email notification weirdness can occur from time to time, but it is not necessarily a common problem. It may be more likely to occur if there are technical issues or changes made to email settings, but it can generally be resolved with proper troubleshooting and maintenance.