Why Are Carnot Cycle Calculations So Confusing?

In summary, the conversation involves a person struggling to determine the work, heat added, heat rejected, and efficiency of a Carnot engineer operating with a perfect gas. They have encountered difficulties in computing the first volumes due to conflicting equations and methods, and are seeking clarification or guidance.
Ulyaoth
Nevermind for now, just redid the whole thing and saw I made a stupid little mistake in computing the first volumes that messed everything else up.

A Carnot engineer operating with a perfect gas between 800C and 25C has an operating pressure range between 20kPa and 6000kPa. Determine the work of the cycle, heat added, heat rejected, and efficiency is the gas has physical properties equivelant to those of air.

The textbook says that Wk12=Q12, and that the equation for such should be mRT1 ln(V2/V1) but first of all, using the various ways it gives for coming up with Volume come up with different numbers, any of these numbers used for finding the work come up completely off from the answer the book gives of 271kJ/kg.

I just have no idea what to do because my textbook is absolutely useless once again.

So far I've come up with V1 being 4276m^3
V2=353.5m^3
V3=51.325m^3
and V4=172.4m^3
All using V=mRT/p, or V(tl/th)^1/k-1

But none of these numbers are working right and if I get the pressures and then get the volumes with that then it comes out different, besides shouldn't v4 be only lower than 1?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyways, if someone could just point out what I'm doing wrong or explain what I need to do that would be great.

Related to Why Are Carnot Cycle Calculations So Confusing?

1. What is the Carnot Cycle?

The Carnot Cycle is a theoretical thermodynamic cycle that describes the most efficient way to convert heat into work. It was first proposed by French engineer Nicolas Léonard Sadi Carnot in 1824 and is often used as a benchmark for other thermodynamic cycles.

2. Why is solving the Carnot Cycle considered a frustrating journey?

Solving the Carnot Cycle can be frustrating because it involves complex mathematical calculations and assumptions that may not accurately reflect real-world systems. Additionally, the Carnot Cycle is an idealized model, which means that it may not be applicable to all situations.

3. What are the steps involved in solving the Carnot Cycle?

The Carnot Cycle involves four steps: isothermal expansion, adiabatic expansion, isothermal compression, and adiabatic compression. These steps represent the different stages of energy transfer and work output in the cycle.

4. What are the applications of the Carnot Cycle?

The Carnot Cycle is used as a benchmark for the efficiency of real-world thermodynamic systems. It is also used in the development of heat engines, refrigerators, and other devices that involve the conversion of heat into work.

5. What are some limitations of the Carnot Cycle?

The Carnot Cycle assumes idealized conditions and does not take into account practical factors such as friction, heat loss, and non-ideal gases. It also assumes reversible processes, which are not always achievable in real-world systems. Additionally, the Carnot Cycle does not consider the effects of time or change in the system, making it less applicable to dynamic systems.